Seeking Guidance **Non-traditional student** Potential Post Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Das_Nooch

Reaction score
Hi, first off, thank you for taking the time. I'm aware there are A LOT of posts on this forum from people in similar situations as I find myself. I truly would appreciate any help, direction or guidance.

I am currently 22 years old. I will be graduating this December (a semester early) from a four-year liberal arts college with about a 3.25-3.35 GPA in Business Management and two minors in Art Studio and Public Health. I was interested initially in Medical Illustration or Hospital Administration hence the art and business. It wasn't until my junior year that I truly fell in love with patient care and was considering a path in medicine. I became an EMT and really started doing volunteer work.

My GPA suffered from a lack of caring initially in my education. I was okay with B's and a couple C's dropped me bellow the 3.0 mark after my Sophmore year. I have no collegiate science courses but in high school did well in courses like physics, chemistry, Anatomy and Physiology.

From my sophomore year to my current last semester I have raised my GPA while consistently taking on heavier class loads.

For the past three semesters, I have taken between 5-6 courses each semester and either worked a job or internship. I will be finishing This semester I am currently interning with the Vice President of Clinical Operations of a local nonprofit hospital. I work in the ER one day a week as a "Patient Care Liason" and then I also shadow the different divisions from surgeries to secondary care off-site facilities.

Please excuse me if none of this is relevant but outside of academics I,
-Founded the "Student Business Association/DECCA" club and am acting as a "Senior Consultant" because I am graduating mid-year.
-Academic Preceptor (work with the first year/struggling students to manage workload/put together schedules)
-Rugby Health and Safety Officer
-Certified EMT
-Volunteer at a local school to mentor kids (1-5th grade)

*I am also in the process of publishing my senior thesis which is a study on how insurance impacts the patient-physician relationship.

My current plan was to sift through this list of Post Bacc programs in an attempt to see which would be worth applying to. The idea of linkage is extremely appealing to me as it seems to be more streamlined than other methods. (I have been looking through mainly the "career changer" and "record enhancer" list as some of the records enhances seem to be both like the Harvard Extension premed program). I also have been reading as much as I can in my "free time" about other people's experiences and what they were doing just to try and see if this is actually a viable path. I doubt there is a "right way" to do it but if anyone has further insight on how I could viably getting accepted into a medical school with my background, I'm all ears.

Again, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.