Seeking Advice: ADEA AADAS Application and DAT Scheduling Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOBS

Reaction score
This is my first time posting on this forum, and I could really use some advice regarding my current situation. I'm facing a dilemma when it comes to submitting my ADEA AADAS application for this semester and scheduling my DAT exam. I want to ensure that my approach is optimal and will result in a strong application. Here's a summary of my situation:

I have scheduled my first DAT exam for June 8th, which is approximately three weeks away. I believe I will need every single one of those days to adequately prepare and achieve a decent score. However, I haven't had the opportunity to start working on my application yet. Realistically, I have two options, and I'm trying to determine which one would be most beneficial to me:

Option 1: Continue studying for the DAT and take the exam as scheduled on June 8th. After completing the exam, I would start working on my application and aim to submit everything together in late June.

Option 2: Reschedule the DAT exam for late June and focus on starting and finishing the application this month. By doing so, I would be able to submit my application in the first week of June and then continue studying for the DAT. However, this would mean that schools would receive my DAT score much later than the application.

I'm looking for guidance regarding the pros and cons of each option and which one would generally be recommended. Any advice or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't reschedule. Chances are you'd be pushed back into mid-July as it takes a while to schedule the exam. Take the exam in June and bust your butt to finish the application. It's open right now, take like 15-30 min break and work on filling portions of the application now. It would take you a maximum 6 hours to fill out with transcripts and all the information required. The longest part would be writing your LOR and getting your letters uploaded. You could start chipping away at those details now.

The DAT will take a little while to get verified, but while that's happening you can get your app completed. You might be able to submit your app shortly after taking your DAT. You'll get an unofficial score report and you can submit that with your AADSAS app. Schools will get the official report soon after. This will allow you to get your app verified and transcripts finalized so schools get it and can start looking at it.

TLDR: go with option 1

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first time posting on this forum, and I could really use some advice regarding my current situation. I'm facing a dilemma when it comes to submitting my ADEA AADAS application for this semester and scheduling my DAT exam. I want to ensure that my approach is optimal and will result in a strong application. Here's a summary of my situation:

I have scheduled my first DAT exam for June 8th, which is approximately three weeks away. I believe I will need every single one of those days to adequately prepare and achieve a decent score. However, I haven't had the opportunity to start working on my application yet. Realistically, I have two options, and I'm trying to determine which one would be most beneficial to me:

Option 1: Continue studying for the DAT and take the exam as scheduled on June 8th. After completing the exam, I would start working on my application and aim to submit everything together in late June.

Option 2: Reschedule the DAT exam for late June and focus on starting and finishing the application this month. By doing so, I would be able to submit my application in the first week of June and then continue studying for the DAT. However, this would mean that schools would receive my DAT score much later than the application.

I'm looking for guidance regarding the pros and cons of each option and which one would generally be recommended. Any advice or insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance for your help!
either way is fine
june is early...

Feel free to post a WAMC here (in the WAMC subforum). It would help to know what your GPA, state residency, dental experience, volunteering experience, fine manual dexterity, and mission fit are. It would also help to know if you have secured your references too.

Regardless, how have you been doing with your DAT prep?

The answer to both of these requests will determine my answer. The rule is: Submit a competitive application early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't reschedule. Chances are you'd be pushed back into mid-July as it takes a while to schedule the exam. Take the exam in June and bust your butt to finish the application. It's open right now, take like 15-30 min break and work on filling portions of the application now. It would take you a maximum 6 hours to fill out with transcripts and all the information required. The longest part would be writing your LOR and getting your letters uploaded. You could start chipping away at those details now.

The DAT will take a little while to get verified, but while that's happening you can get your app completed. You might be able to submit your app shortly after taking your DAT. You'll get an unofficial score report and you can submit that with your AADSAS app. Schools will get the official report soon after. This will allow you to get your app verified and transcripts finalized so schools get it and can start looking at it.

TLDR: go with option 1
Thank you for your response and the helpful advice. I was also leaning towards your recommendation to go with option 1. It seems like the most efficient approach, allowing me to focus on preparing for the DAT while also slowly working on my application. I will take your suggestion to start chipping away at the application during breaks and prioritize the LOR writing and letter uploads.

Thank you again for your guidance. It's greatly appreciated.

either way is fine
june is early...
That's great to hear. I share the same sentiment. I want to ensure that submitting my application later than the opening date doesn't negatively impact my chances of receiving interview invitations. Thank you for the reassurance.

Feel free to post a WAMC here (in the WAMC subforum). It would help to know what your GPA, state residency, dental experience, volunteering experience, fine manual dexterity, and mission fit are. It would also help to know if you have secured your references too.

Regardless, how have you been doing with your DAT prep?

The answer to both of these requests will determine my answer. The rule is: Submit a competitive application early.
Thank you for your response and the offer to post a WAMC (What Are My Chances) thread in the WAMC subforum. I appreciate your willingness to provide guidance based on the specific metrics you mentioned.

While I am certainly planning to post a WAMC in the future, I am currently hesitant to do so without an official DAT score. However, I can provide you with the information you mentioned using the metrics I currently have available if that would still be helpful.

Regarding my DAT prep, it has been going reasonably well. The sheer amount of material to retain, especially in the biology section, can feel overwhelming at times. I have been preparing for the DAT for approximately four months now, though not every day due to volunteering at a hospital until recently. However, I have recently increased my study efforts and have been studying every day. Thank you for asking about it.

I am fully committed to submitting a competitive application as early as possible. I understand the importance of timing and the impact it can have on the application review process.

Thank you for your support and input!

I'm not sure studying for the DAT for months could be overkill... We recommend MCAT studying to be about 4 months, and the MCAT is really intense.

I'm glad that our feedback can help you. Let us know once you get a DAT score for sure.

I'm not sure studying for the DAT for months could be overkill... We recommend MCAT studying to be about 4 months, and the MCAT is really intense.

I'm glad that our feedback can help you. Let us know once you get a DAT score for sure.
For sure!! Thank you so much for your encouragement T_T I will try my best!