Second Opinions and Guidance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedStudent42

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just joined and was hoping I could get some second opinions and guidance. Last year I graduated with a BA in biology and applied to pharmacy school. I got into every one of my applications but that set off some red flags not gonna lie. I'm holding 3 seats (one at KGI, one at OSU, and one at Touro). Every time I look up the profession, I see pessimism. This contradicts a lot of info I've heard about the numerous paths one can take with a pharmD. I don't really have a backup but I am open to suggestions. Are there any pharmacists here that can help clear the air for me a bit? I've been told to pursue pharmacy if I really have a passion but no passion is worth coming out of pharmacy school 200+k in debt and have no career waiting for me.

Members don't see this ad.

So the pessimism comes from a couple of things.
1. The number retail pharmacy (your normal corner pharmacy) is shrinking due to mail order and other economic decisions that have decreased the number of positions for pharmacists nationwide. COVID might delay that a bit due to vaccination but after that is done the past trend will probably continue.
2. Pharmacy schools expanded like crazy and are graduating 15k pharmacist a year. Basic economics tell you that if supply exceeds demand prices falls. That is what is happening with PharmD salaries. While they are still high for any average joe ($45 an hour is still a very good wage in 2021 where I am at) the 200k in debt make the math hard and makes it not worth it as you can point out.

My 2 cents is that pharmacy is only worth it if you can keep debt to minimal level in any way shape or form. If you are paying full price, then its not worth it. Another thing is that you need to go into pharmacy with an actual career plan and not with the idea that it will work itself out. Get some work experience in a pharmacy and go from there. If you do go into school, get an pharmacy intern job and keep it over the time of pharmacy school so that you have the best chance to work in the company you intern in.

Hey guys! Just joined and was hoping I could get some second opinions and guidance. Last year I graduated with a BA in biology and applied to pharmacy school. I got into every one of my applications but that set off some red flags not gonna lie. I'm holding 3 seats (one at KGI, one at OSU, and one at Touro). Every time I look up the profession, I see pessimism. This contradicts a lot of info I've heard about the numerous paths one can take with a pharmD. I don't really have a backup but I am open to suggestions. Are there any pharmacists here that can help clear the air for me a bit? I've been told to pursue pharmacy if I really have a passion but no passion is worth coming out of pharmacy school 200+k in debt and have no career waiting for me.
Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth It? Here's What You Need to Know | Student Doctor Network

Job Market | Student Doctor Network

Pharmacists : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)

Consider these links for further guidance. I would also really focus on the last sentence you displayed. Truth is, many folks seem to confuse "passion", "want", and "need" real often. I think part of the confusion on this site is people trying to interpret what these words mean in terms of a pharmacy degree vs job placement. I'll use myself as an example:

1) Passion - I have a passion for fishing / hunting. I have put in thousands of dollars over the years invested in these hobbies. This is something I can get up early for, and return home late at night without feeling burnt out. This is something I wish I could do 7 days a week. What's even better is that my kids are getting to the age that I can introduce them to this hobby of mine and hope they appreciate the outdoors as much as I have.

2) Want - I Want the latest shimano baitcaster on 100% fluorocarbon line in preparations of my 4 season fishing trips. I want LED lit automatic running boards on my truck so I don't have to keep assisting my kids to get buckled up in the back seat. I want to eat out more frequently so as to avoid taking time out of my day preparing food while balancing out late night studies and getting kids ready for the day / school of their own.

3) Need - I Need my health, I need to eat, I need to breathe, I need to get at least minimal sleep. I need to make sure my kids are healthy, eating, breathing, getting some level of sleep. Things I literally cannot live or comfortably tolerate without (a job) are things I need.

Replace any of those words with your decision to know if pharmacy is worth it. More graduates exist per year than the number of jobs available. As costs go up, so does student loans. Look at my links in detail for further observations and I think you'll be able to answer that question. I cannot answer what other career options you wish to pursue as I don't know your interests or grades or really anything. Just pick something tolerable with evidence of safe return of investment at this point.