Illinois schools - Comparisions and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuduocsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I thought It would be great to start a thread where we could share our viewpoints, opinions about Illinois schools since there are 6 of them right now. SIX is a big number for pharmacy schools in this saturated area. Therefore, those who come from out-of-state, think twice before applying here and get as much information as possible about the program that you consider.

Here are opinions from some people on this forum. I thought you guys would want to read them so I post them again.

This is from Pharmgrlnxdor who is current a CSU Pharmacy student.

Hmmm....well, of course it is hard to say definitively when you don't really "know" first hand what each school is like. But I will try and tell you how I feel about each school and why.

UIC - Great reputation, bragging rights, inexpensive tuition, knowledgeable professors, was worried about just being a number there and not getting help if I needed it, was worried about there possibly being a less than team oriented atmosphere and having to deal with cut throat infighting among the students. Was worried about possibly having to deal with a program that had been in existence for so long that it was not flexible or dynamic to the needs of the students in any way. Now there is no way of knowing if those last three items are valid. These were my concerns and worries. Probably the best school to have on your resume if going for a residency.

MWU - Really good reputation, bragging rights, substantially more expensive especially if you calculate all four years plus interest on that extra amount, have heard conflicting reports on whether school is very student focused and helpful or if that is not really the case, good professors, feeling I got was that the school was very "white bread" versus more diverse and that a "right" type of student was admitted with the occasional token "other" students (foreign, older, etc.) I have no actual proof of this, it was just my take away feeling. Good team approach to encourage cooperation among the students.

SIU - Decent reputation, solid no nonsense school, inexpensive in the realm of UIC, research oriented program, was not an option for me since I was not already from Southern Illinois and could not move that far away, accepts mainly in state and Southern Illinois residents.

CSU - Crummy reputation among the uninformed, decent reputation among the informed, small program so more likely to be able to extend energy to focus on individual students if needed, good team approach to encourage cooperation among the students, incredible diversity on a scale that makes you feel proud, inexpensive, good professors, some frustrating aspects of dealing with a large bureaucratic organization (the University in general - not the COP) that still has a lot of improvements to make.

Rosalind Franklin - Very solid health care education history, new program, expensive, would be in first class so that could be good as excitement is probably high but also could be not good in that there might be a lot of kinks that need to be worked out of the program and the first class would certainly have to "experience" those kinks.

Roosevelt - Not really known as an educator of health care professionals, expensive, three year program, a lot of unknowns, was worried if they would be able to find decent professors in Illinois or decent rotation sites, first class issues stated above in Rosalind Franklin.

So, if I had my pick of schools (it was totally up to me) and there were no considerations like not having a full year of physics (this was why I did not even apply to UIC or SIU) or having to stay in the Chicagoland area (for my daughter and my currently owned property) then I would say that I would probably have picked SIU and UIC as a tie, CSU, MWU, Rosalind Franklin, Roosevelt.....in that order.

Some personal factors that led to my decision. I did not want to wait another full year to apply due to being one semester shy of physics....I could not move because to sell my two houses meant I would have taken a 100,000 bath due to the real estate market....SIU doesn't accept that many Northern Illinois residents, I did not want to take out the big loans necessary to go to MWU, Rosalind Franklin, or Roosevelt, Rosalind Franklin and Roosevelt were not open yet, CSU would allow me (unofficially) to finish my last two courses during the summer session. I felt really comfortable at my CSU interview and thought I could do well there.

Hope this helped. I'm off to study something.

This is from an anonymous person (he'd prefer not to show his name) who considered some of the schools in Illinois, he got accepted to all the schools he went to the interview and eventually he picked U of Maryland. He is talking about Rosalind Franklin University.

1) Chicago already has 5 pharmacy schools, which will affect your studies, because it pushes RFU to an underserved area (north chicago/wisconsin)

2) Rotation sites will not be as established as ones at Midwestern

3) It will be much harder to complete residencies after graduation, because all of the hospitals in chicago will be saturated by pharm graduates from U of Illinois, Midwestern, etc., and as RFU is the most recent school, it will be looked upon with slight negativity.

However, you could also succeed very well at RFU in that same manner. So its important to keep your other options open, because even though RFU looks like it will have a great program, it is not very established, and it will not be a high quality class in its first year.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
And this is my opinions based on what I experienced on my interview day and my online research.

1/ UIC: top ten school, public school, solid program which has good partnerships, connections for your post-graduate planning (either residency or specializing, etc.). Great professors. Affordable tuition. 2 campuses that you can choose, either in the city (Chicago) or suburb (Rockford).

2/ MWU - CCP: Great staff and faculties, great campus environment (new and green and small), terrible food at cafeteria, big class size (200+). Solid/ good connections and partnerships. Established program (20 years). Goes by quarter. Most expensive tuition, required to buy a laptop from the school, and a car. Oh and you can complete your 4th year (which is APPE) in your home state.

3/ RFU: Super-nice faculties and staff, small campus, small class size, interprofessional program (health care students work together on a project) - but basically it's only once for awhile or the class/project that we are supposed work together worth only 5 quarter hours. Expensive tuition. Housing and dorm are very nice and, expensive too. Pre-candidate status granted.

4/ Roosevelt: the only one offer 3-year, year-round format program. Not very well known in heath care education, but they seem to be well prepared. Small class size. New classrooms. Expensive tuition. 1st class begins pretty early (07/07/2011). Nice faculties. Pre-candidate status granted.

Please add or share your viewpoints. We are living for a better society so please let your voice heard. :cool:

2/ MWU - CCP: Great staff and faculties, great campus environment (new and green and small), terrible food at cafeteria, big class size (200+). Solid/ good connections and partnerships. Established program (20 years). Goes by quarter. Most expensive tuition, required to buy a laptop from the school, and a car. Oh and you can complete your 4th year (which is APPE) in your home state.

This is a good thread for those who are undecided :thumbup:. I have been accepted to both MWU - CCP and UIC [chicago campus] so I am trying to make the best choice. I am leaning heavily towards UIC, however, I don't ever recall them saying you were required to buy/have a car to attend MWU. I have a few friends at MWU, and one of them actually drives another person to rotations because they don't have a car.

Just wondering if this is true because it would for sure be the final nail in the coffin.

Having only experienced/done research on MWU and UIC:
UIC - It is a top ten school with cheap tuition. Staff are friendly and knowledgeable. They are extremely slow//poor at communication [which I hope doesn't carry over when you enter the program]. Overall I was impressed with the school when I went to visit. The interview and tour left me with a good impression of the school overall. Having two campuses is a plus, and while on the tour I found out that because they tape all lectures to be broadcast at the Rockford campus all students have access to watch lectures over if they want. This will come in handy for studying or if you happen to miss a class. They have a lottery system for rotations so you may not get anywhere you want.

MWU- Campus was nice, very secure[needed an ID card to get into everywhere]. The campus food wasn't that great. Parking seemed to fill up fast for commuters. They are a well established school with a good reputation. Sounded like they have more opportunities for rotations. Professors seem to want you to succeed at this school. The tuition is extremely expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
however, I don't ever recall them saying you were required to buy/have a car to attend MWU. I have a few friends at MWU, and one of them actually drives another person to rotations because they don't have a car.

Just wondering if this is true because it would for sure be the final nail in the coffin.

I was told by the Dean that pharmacy students at MWU are required to buy the laptop which will have the material set up in it.

As for the car, this is exactly what the Dean said to us on the interview day, "you gotta have a car if you come from out-of-state because you have to drive to rotations. However, if you live on campus, we will try to put you in the ones that close to the campus and you could go together with your classmates/roommates if you want."

Congrats on your acceptance to UIC. Yea I do believe UIC has the best program among other schools in the area. However, please don't call it "cheap tuition" - It is inexpensive. Pharmacy school NEVER have "cheap" tuition. :cool:

I think this is a very helpful thread. Thanks for doing this.

I have had interviews from MWU, RFU, CSU so far but still waiting to hear back. I'm having interview at SIUE in March.

My opinions about MWU, RFU, CSU are almost the same as the above. However, to me RFU stands out among other 2 schools that I have visited. And this is just my personal opinion. :)

Good luck everyone!

One more opinion from a pharmacist.

I am not a UIC gradute either if that helps. I actually went to MWU. I think MWU is great and has great faculty, but as far as the reputation factor in the pharmacy world, UIC is better known.

If you are looking for schools in Chicago I would say UIC or MWU. My next choice would actually be the new Rosalind Franklin, then CSU, and I would not even consider Roosevelt. I hear good things mostly about Southern IL (newer school) and St. Louis if you are interested in that area. Other close schools you could consider would be Purdue, Michigan, Butler, Wisconsin, Iowa, Drake, or Wayne State.

One more opinion from a pharmacist.

I'll have to second their opinion on Roosevelt. No association with solid health-related education of any kind. Plus, it's already March and they said they had, what, only 1/3 of their faculty hired? That would concern me.

I can weigh in more if you'd like. I went to school in the Chicago area and now precept pharmacy students at a large hospital system in the area.

-If you get into UIC or Midwestern, go there for sure. These schools have established their presence in the Chicago area and have numerous affiliations with hospitals that offer rotation sites.
-UIC has been around the longest and has a great reputation outside of IL. They have faculty which are well known throughout the pharmacy world as well. UIC has its own hospital and medical school.
-Midwestern has been around for 20yrs and has faculty that love to teach. Larger class size, but overall the school is small and has a community feel. Everyone on campus is in a health-related field (DO, PT, PA, OT, etc).
-SIUE is newer and I don't know much about them because their students are mostly in Central/Southern IL and St. Louis area. This school seems to have gotten a good reputation with pharmacists in IL and is now fully accredited.
-CSU - newest school with current students. CSU is in a rough area of Chicago. This school does not have a great reputation (was in danger of losing its regional accredidation which would mean it would lose its pharmacy accredidation). Most of that was due to the University as a whole and not specifically the pharm school. So far I have been unimpressed with the students I have met from here. They do seem to have a very dedicated faculty, so this may change in a few yrs.
-Rosalind Franklin- new school without students thus far. Similar to MWU in that it is a health sciences school, with MD, PA, etc programs. They haven't hired many faculty members yet in the pharmacy practice area, so I cannot comment on that, RFU has established connects with hospitals for other programs, but not sure how that will translate to the pharmacy program. My concern would be the lack of quality rotation sites.
-Roosevelt - new school, no students. This place has no business opening up a pharmacy school. No health sciences. Pharmacy is being established to make money and that is it. I would be very worried about my rotation sites and faculty. As a pharmacist, I've been blindly called, mailed, and emailed if I would be interested in being a faculty member or preceptor. This place is having trouble finding place. Don't even consider this place.

In summary I would do the following:
UIC or MWU (depending on your preference, I liked MWU a lot, UIC has been around longer/cheaper)>SIUE (if you can live in S. IL)>CSU or RFU (with a slight edge to RFU)>>>>>>>>>>>Roosevelt (just don't do it)

-CSU - newest school with current students. CSU is in a rough area of Chicago. This school does not have a great reputation (was in danger of losing its regional accredidation which would mean it would lose its pharmacy accredidation). Most of that was due to the University as a whole and not specifically the pharm school. So far I have been unimpressed with the students I have met from here. They do seem to have a very dedicated faculty, so this may change in a few yrs.

Would you please explain or give me some more details on this issue? Does this mean even the school got "pre-candidate" or "candidate" status, they still could be taken off that status in some circumstances??

Thanks!

Would you please explain or give me some more details on this issue? Does this mean even the school got "pre-candidate" or "candidate" status, they still could be taken off that status in some circumstances??

Thanks!

This is over a yr old and I haven't heard any recent updates:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...n-graduation-rates-higher-learning-commission

The article isn't specifically about the pharmacy school, but about the university as a whole. In order for a school to gain/continue ACPE accredidation, they must have regional accredidation. But if you can get into a better, established school, why risk it? This school doesn't offer anything unique that would make me want to go there.

This is over a yr old and I haven't heard any recent updates:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...n-graduation-rates-higher-learning-commission

The article isn't specifically about the pharmacy school, but about the university as a whole. In order for a school to gain/continue ACPE accredidation, they must have regional accredidation. But if you can get into a better, established school, why risk it? This school doesn't offer anything unique that would make me want to go there.

Thanks for the info.

I canceled my interview offer at this school.

@KARM12
so between CSU and RFUMS which one would be better in your opinion?

@nuduocsi
so where are you looking to go now?

If I were you and if you are an Illinois resident I'd chose CSU.... you'd save a lot of money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I got stuck between my "best" school and my "most favorite" school. As I received a question from someone on this forum asking me why RFU would be my top choice over other schools, especially UIC? This question makes me re-think/ double-think and now I'm sitting here wondering if it's the right choice when picking RFU over UIC ?!?:scared:

So I go here to this thread again, read all the posts over again, and still get stuck between UIC and RFU because all the posts about UIC doesn't answer my concerns. :confused: Which way to turn?? It's always super super hard for me when it comes to picking one over another (in any circumstances).:(

I know some of you may think I'm insane when considering a new school/pre-candidate and a well-known/top-ten school. That makes sense but I do have some personal reasons that make me lean towards RFU.

I will share my personal reasons and I hope you guys could help me to pick. Please!

1/ Tuition: For me, it does not matter very much. My family will pay for my pharmacy school. My point is, the money doesn't play a big part on the weight in my case.

2/ Location: RFU is in a small town in suburb while UIC is in the city. I personally love the suburb life where people is more friendly, the environment is peaceful, etc. I'm pretty tired of the city life. I also plan to move out and live and practice pharmacy in the suburb after graduate. In addition, if I go to UIC - I will have to stay with my parent (which I don't want to) and if I go to RFU - i'll stay in the dorm and have my own life (which is more then awesome!)

3/ Class size: I'd prefer small class size and I always do better within small class where I have strong connection with the professor and will have help whenever I need. I believe I can do better in small groups where you can ask questions liberally and easy to stick out.
For this issue, UIC have 160+ in the class, and RFU have 65+ in the class.

4/ The professors: Most of UIC's professors have slow/not-so-good English communication (this is what I experienced during my undergrad). I'm not so sure about those professors in COP. If you know, please tell me. I personally think professors from public schools do not care about their students as much as the professors from private ones. What do you guys think??

5/ The program: UIC definitely wins in this issue. However, what is bad about RFU? The full accreditation status? - They have 99 years in health care education, why could not they grant the full status for COP? or not-so-established/new program? hmm... please tell me. Oh and RFU have Inter-professional model which all heath care students learn and work with each other.

6/ Folks: I don't know if I should consider this. Like those who get accepted to UIC would be better than those who get accepted to RFU? Do you guys think the same? I don't know if this is right to think that way. And I'm sorry if this does not sounds right. In my opinion, it's better to study/work with the better than with the worse, because with the better you will try more and more everyday and getting better but with the worse, you will just stay the same and get worse...

7/ Future: Does where-you-go-for-your-pharmacy-school matter when it comes to jobs and residency? and how? Please give me some more details or opinions.

And this is the thoughts from the girl in the first post:
"was worried about just being a number there and not getting help if I needed it, was worried about there possibly being a less than team oriented atmosphere and having to deal with cut throat infighting among the students. Was worried about possibly having to deal with a program that had been in existence for so long that it was not flexible or dynamic to the needs of the students in any way."

Overall, please please tell me why it is WRONG to pick RFU over UIC. Please! I'm sooo confused right now. :shrug:

I really hope some of you who experienced with UIC could answer my questions and help me to pick. Please!!! Thanks soo soo much in advance.

Now I got stuck between my "best" school and my "most favorite" school. As I received a question from someone on this forum asking me why RFU would be my top choice over other schools, especially UIC? This question makes me re-think/ double-think and now I'm sitting here wondering if it's the right choice when picking RFU over UIC ?!?:scared:

So I go here to this thread again, read all the posts over again, and still get stuck between UIC and RFU because all the posts about UIC doesn't answer my concerns. :confused: Which way to turn?? It's always super super hard for me when it comes to picking one over another (in any circumstances).:(

I know some of you may think I'm insane when considering a new school/pre-candidate and a well-known/top-ten school. That makes sense but I do have some personal reasons that make me lean towards RFU.

I will share my personal reasons and I hope you guys could help me to pick. Please!

1/ Tuition: For me, it does not matter very much. My family will pay for my pharmacy school. My point is, the money doesn't play a big part on the weight in my case.

2/ Location: RFU is in a small town in suburb while UIC is in the city. I personally love the suburb life where people is more friendly, the environment is peaceful, etc. I'm pretty tired of the city life. I also plan to move out and live and practice pharmacy in the suburb after graduate. In addition, if I go to UIC - I will have to stay with my parent (which I don't want to) and if I go to RFU - i'll stay in the dorm and have my own life (which is more then awesome!)

3/ Class size: I'd prefer small class size and I always do better within small class where I have strong connection with the professor and will have help whenever I need. I believe I can do better in small groups where you can ask questions liberally and easy to stick out.

4/ The professors: Most of UIC's professors have slow/not-so-good English communication (this is what I experienced during my undergrad). I'm not so sure about those professors in COP. If you know, please tell me. I personally think professors from public schools do not care about their students as much as the professors from private ones. What do you guys think??

5/ The program: UIC definitely wins in this issue. However, what is bad about RFU? The full accreditation status? - They have 99 years in health care education, why could not they grant the full status for COP? or not-so-established/new program? hmm... please tell me. Oh and RFU have Inter-professional model which all heath care students learn and work with each other.

6/ Folks: I don't know if I should consider this. Like those who get accepted to UIC would be better than those who get accepted to RFU? Do you guys think the same? I don't know if this is right to think that way. And I'm sorry if this does not sounds right. In my opinion, it's better to study/work with the better than with the worse, because with the better you will try more and more everyday and getting better but with the worse, you will just stay the same and get worse...

7/ Future: Does where-you-go-for-your-pharmacy-school matter when it comes to jobs and residency? and how? Please give me some more details or opinions.

"was worried about just being a number there and not getting help if I needed it, was worried about there possibly being a less than team oriented atmosphere and having to deal with cut throat infighting among the students. Was worried about possibly having to deal with a program that had been in existence for so long that it was not flexible or dynamic to the needs of the students in any way."

Overall, please please tell me why it is WRONG to pick RFU over UIC. Please! I'm sooo confused right now. :shrug:

I really hope some of you who experienced with UIC could answer my questions and help me to pick. Please!!! Thanks soo soo much in advance.

#1-3: you've made a decision in these respects already. But I hope you know that there's a difference between a suburban and rural area. Rural areas are in need of pharmacists... not suburbs.
#4: You can't categorize the english-speaking ability of prof's to their geographical locations. But I do want to say that from what I hear, you're going to have to be able to learn autonomously (from the book).
#5: UIC wins. RFU leaves a bad taste in my mouth b/c some of their professors don't even have backgrounds in the field of pharmacy (ie - biochemistry). It's possible that they'll be learning the information they teach you right before you start school. UIC has an entire school dedicated to the various fields of pharmacy.
#6: I'm not sure I quite understand what you're saying.
#7: UIC wins definitely. UIC has a better reputation and preceptors may be skeptical about the strength of your education. You may not realize how difficult it will be to get a job without proper connections or come from a pharmacy school with a strong reputation... I think mainly b/c you have nothing to lose (your parents are paying for school... imagine if you had to... you'd be thinking about RFU vs. UIC a lot differently). If I were in your shoes, I'd choose UIC in a heartbeat.

I can understand some people's concerns with UIC but I don't understand why people think RFU is better than UIC in ANY respects. Afterall, they haven't even started the first class. You have no idea how it will be. What if you have to deal with these issues- no help, no team atmosphere, no flexibility- at RFU? You just don't know as you can't talk to any of the students or current faculty about their experiences. Not to say that RFU won't be a great program (I think it probably will be one day), but for me it's too early to tell.

By the way, Have you been accepted to UIC yet? If you are still trying to figure out whether or not you should leave a deposit at RFU-DO IT! There is not guarantee that you'll get into UIC this late in the cycle. For all you know, they could be planning to put you on the alternate list. If you have been accepted, CONGRATS!!!! Choose UIC!!!!

One of my friends that's currently at SIUE mentioned that in Illinois for every 100 pharmacists retiring (I'm assuming community pharmacists) there's going to be a 600 graduates from Illinois schools applying for that job (the exact number I'm sure is debatable but the general trend of the inbalance I'm fairly certain isn't given the amount of schools/new schools). So in a competitive job market of the future for pharmacists where you go may give you an edge on getting that first job. If you are interested in residencies and what not post pharmacy school who writes your letters and what school you come from may make a difference if you get a residency you want if at all.

I agree with what the previous people's analysis of your points.

For your number six point, I'm fairly certain that the accepted students of UIC would have overall better resumes than those of RFU pharmacy students. After all, those with better stats want to get into the more established schools. You see this with people that apply to UIC and Midwestern. If you look at the signatures of people that have posted on Midwestern and UIC forums they've been accepted to both UIC and Midwestern and a large number of them chose UIC. I would think it would be reasonable to expect similar trends with the other pharmacy school such as Roosevelt or RFU or CSU...

Now these are generalizations! I'm sure that there are people that chose one over the other for various reasons. This is just my take and what I've gathered from creeping on the sdn forums and from friends that are in pharmacy school or are in the process of applying.

UIC>>>>>>RFU

If you get into UIC, go there! It is a great school and has great placement for students into residency program. You will learn from leaders in the field of pharmacy.

Thank you soo sooooo sooooooo much for your all opinions. You guys are the most awesome people :love:

But I made the decision. I deposited to RFU and canceled my interview with UIC.

I think there are plenty of reasons that can tell UIC is way better than RFU. I knew that.
However, I do think the school doesn't play much in your success at the end. What matters is yourself. How much you could learn from school, peers, and how well you do in school to get yourself encouraged to keep going, etc.

I do believe I would do better with a small class size, new things and enjoy myself around the area, the school, the environment, etc. rather than feeling overwhelmed in a 150+ students class and could not get help, and might drop out of the program later on. Also, I know for sure myself won't be happy to study here as I have to deal with other personal stuffs in family.

Anyways, I'm very glad to hear some of your opinions. Those opinions give me more strength/reasons to study hard at RFU in order to compete with those from UIC. Thanks so much guys! :thumbup:

Thank you soo sooooo sooooooo much for your all opinions. You guys are the most awesome people :love:

But I made the decision. I deposited to RFU and canceled my interview with UIC.

I think there are plenty of reasons that can tell UIC is way better than RFU. I knew that.
However, I do think the school doesn't play much in your success at the end. What matters is yourself. How much you could learn from school, peers, and how well you do in school to get yourself encouraged to keep going, etc.

I do believe I would do better with a small class size, new things and enjoy myself around the area, the school, the environment, etc. rather than feeling overwhelmed in a 150+ students class and could not get help, and might drop out of the program later on. Also, I know for sure myself won't be happy to study here as I have to deal with other personal stuffs in family.

Anyways, I'm very glad to hear some of your opinions. Those opinions give me more strength/reasons to study hard at RFU in order to compete with those from UIC. Thanks so much guys! :thumbup:

Hate to tell you this, but you are so wrong! Chicago is a super-saturated market beyond all belief and a crappy, new school that just opened will not get you anywhere I would want to be. Why is it that all of the people bitc*ing about not passing NAPLEX are from new schools?

Hate to tell you this, but you are so wrong! Chicago is a super-saturated market beyond all belief and a crappy, new school that just opened will not get you anywhere I would want to be. Why is it that all of the people bitc*ing about not passing NAPLEX are from new schools?

Funny thing is, the NAPLEX is actually TOO EASY. They really need to make it more difficult from what I understand. Today, I met a prof at a certain new school in Illinois. He graduated from another new school in Illinois in 2009 with only a pharmD and now he teaches at a new school in Illinois. I guess there will always be teaching jobs for new grads, lol.

BTW, Maybe Uyen doesn't plan on working in Chicago after graduation. Maybe she already has a job lined up somewhere. We don't know. I just hope Uyen knows that its more than about making good grades in pharm school to secure employment anywhere as a pharmacist these days. Make sure you do alot more than whats required of you (in and out of school) for the next four years, Good luck at RFU!

Funny thing is, the NAPLEX is actually TOO EASY. They really need to make it more difficult from what I understand. Today, I met a prof at a certain new school in Illinois. He graduated from another new school in Illinois in 2009 with only a pharmD and now he teaches at a new school in Illinois. I guess there will always be teaching jobs for new grads, lol.

BTW, Maybe Uyen doesn't plan on working in Chicago after graduation. Maybe she already has a job lined up somewhere. We don't know. I just hope Uyen knows that its more than about making good grades in pharm school to secure employment anywhere as a pharmacist these days. Make sure you do alot more than whats required of you (in and out of school) for the next four years, Good luck at RFU!

HA HA!!! I like you. What you mention in the first post is exactly why I have lost respect for the profession. I am going through a fellowship, grad school at one of the best universities in the world, and have three years of experience working 70 hours a week in industry and hospital pharmacy. These plebes coming from unaccredited and new schools think they have the same education as me, but I have news for them- Your freaking professors have much less education than I do and don't know crap! Good luck. Again, thanks for the laugh and re-affirmation of what I have known for a long time. Oh, I graduated from a pharmacy school that's been around 150 years, teach at one that has been around over 200 years and attend grad school at one of the first universities in the U.S.

Last edited:
HA HA!!! I like you. What you mention in the first post is exactly why I have lost respect for the profession. I am going through a fellowship, grad school at one of the best universities in the world, and have three years of experience working 70 hours a week in industry and hospital pharmacy. These plebes coming from unaccredited and new schools think they have the same education as me, but I have news for them- You freaking professors have much less education than I do and don't know crap! Good luck. Again, thanks for the laugh and re-affirmation of what I have known for a long time. Oh, I graduated from a pharmacy school that's been around 150 years, teach at one that have been around over 200 years and attend grad school at one of the first universities in the U.S.

UyenRita's gonna go into cardiac arrest when she reads your posts... so true though.

Hmmm... Are you guys making fun of me right now?? Well, I'm still happy with my choice no matter what you guys are saying because no-one understand about myself better than I do. I know where I could fit in well and where I could make myself going and learning.

@ dingerx: good school still does not guaranteed 100% passing the NAPLEX. And "new school" doesn't mean "bad school",and "old school" doesn't mean "good school". Also, others don't pass the NAPLEX doesn't mean
I won't pass it. I totally understand why you don't like "new school" because of the saturated market in Chicagoland. But that is about "jobs", here I was talking about "studying". I would not worry about jobs if I can differentiate myself from others. I would not worry about jobs if I'm willing to re-locate or not asking so much from the employers. But again, right now I just care about where I could learn, and where I could fit in to expand my potential. For this reason, I know RFU could do that for me but not UIC.
Anyways, thank you for your inputs. I appreciate your opinions.

@Smiles425:
making good grades in pharm school to secure employment anywhere as a pharmacistthese days. Make sure you do alot more than whats required of you (in and out of school) for the next four years, Good luck at RFU!

Thanks a lot for this. And yes, I understand this. What I need is getting myself keep going/learning in the field. I'm not the smart type of person and I need motivations a lot to do well in everything. Whenever I feel I was left behind, I will lose my confidence immediately and therefore I will sure give up eventually. I want to learn and feel good about myself at the same time, NOT chasing others and feel awful about myself being a loser. Again, noone understand about myself better I do. I'd love to hear your opinions but I will not depend my life on others' decision. Thanks again.

Hmmm... Are you guys making fun of me right now?? Well, I'm still happy with my choice no matter what you guys are saying because no-one understand about myself better than I do. I know where I could fit in well and where I could make myself going and learning.

@ dingerx: good school still does not guaranteed 100% passing the NAPLEX. And "new school" doesn't mean "bad school",and "old school" doesn't mean "good school". Also, others don't pass the NAPLEX doesn't mean
I won't pass it. I totally understand why you don't like "new school" because of the saturated market in Chicagoland. But that is about "jobs", here I was talking about "studying". I would not worry about jobs if I can differentiate myself from others. I would not worry about jobs if I'm willing to re-locate or not asking so much from the employers. But again, right now I just care about where I could learn, and where I could fit in to expand my potential. For this reason, I know RFU could do that for me but not UIC.
Anyways, thank you for your inputs. I appreciate your opinions.

@Smiles425:

Thanks a lot for this. And yes, I understand this. What I need is getting myself keep going/learning in the field. I'm not the smart type of person and I need motivations a lot to do well in everything. Whenever I feel I was left behind, I will lose my confidence immediately and therefore I will sure give up eventually. I want to learn and feel good about myself at the same time, NOT chasing others and feel awful about myself being a loser. Again, noone understand about myself better I do. I'd love to hear your opinions but I will not depend my life on others' decision. Thanks again.
You sound like you obviously didn't need members opinions and I wonder why you were so desperate for one in the first place. You didn't get accepted into UIC anyways, you only had an invitation for an interview and that does not guarantee you acceptance into the program.

You sound like you obviously didn't need members opinions and I wonder why you were so desperate for one in the first place. You didn't get accepted into UIC anyways, you only had an invitation for an interview and that does not guarantee you acceptance into the program.

Well, first off, I hope you don't take me wrong. I did not say UIC is a bad school. It is a good school and has been around for the longest time in this area. UIC just is not for me, and I know for sure this school won't help me to excel in anything but help me to be left behind others and drop out of the program soon. :)

Oh and what I meant is that i'd love to know about others' opinions to re-affirm my choice, not to take their opinions and change my mind. Oh and I did make my way to the interview though (as I'm going to UIC right now so it doesn't cost me anything to go to the interview) , sorry I did not change my signature about that. However, getting accepted to UIC or not doesn't matter anymore. Why would you sounds like you hate me because I chose RFU over UIC (your school)??? Hmmm...:confused:

Oh and what I meant is that i'd love to know about others' opinions to re-affirm my choice, not to take their opinions and change my mind. Oh and I did make my way to the interview though (as I'm going to UIC right now so it doesn't cost me anything to go to the interview) , sorry I did not change my signature about that. However, getting accepted to UIC or not doesn't matter anymore. Why would you sounds like you hate me because I chose RFU over UIC (your school)??? Hmmm...:confused:

I'm sure daniellegene can speak for herself but I'd like to chime in here. I don't think anyone means to hate on your decision to go to RFU, it's just that some of us see the writing on the wall. Some of us think we know where pharmacy is headed and its like trying to warn people of a future disaster and people ignore you. I'm sure it just kills some people that a person would choose a new school over a more established one offering the same degree.

Hopefully, in four years you'll come back on SDN and say we were all wrong. Only time will tell...

I'm sure daniellegene can speak for herself but I'd like to chime in here. I don't think anyone means to hate on your decision to go to RFU, it's just that some of us see the writing on the wall. Some of us think we know where pharmacy is headed and its like trying to warn people of a future disaster and people ignore you. I'm sure it just kills some people that a person would choose a new school over a more established one offering the same degree.

Hopefully, in four years you'll come back on SDN and say we were all wrong. Only time will tell...
:thumbup:Couldn't have said it better.

:thumbup:Couldn't have said it better.

I could have said it better, but only slightly... I DO KNOW where pharmacy is headed. I have been up in this biznitch and it's been up in me for the past 10 years (sorry, wanted to get a little "ghetto"- it's been awhile)! You asked, I/we told you how freaking wrong your thought processes were and still are.

Let me give you the quick version of pharmacy school. From a student's perspective, I wanted to burn my school to the damn ground every damn day. My professors were *******s about how you did stuff and how you learned. The students in my school were mostly nice, but little prickish asshats that made it incredibly competitive. But I, along with my fellow classmates, KILLED the NAPLEX and MPJEs.

Now, from an "old man's" standpoint. Most pharmacy jobs are for drone-type people. Lick, stick, pour... I got out of that and am in industry (with inpatient hospital on the side). I am working on a masters, looking at business school, and am thinking about taking my masters and turning it into another doctorate. Why would I want to spend another 10 years doing this? Because pharmacy is phucked!!! Schools like yours (that you don't even go to yet) are nothing more than diploma mills. They don't care about you. I'll let you in on a huge secret. Ready?! Schools are there to make money! Now, your (along with 50 other programs) school thinks it can compete? You don't even have qualified professors teaching your courses. All of my professors were either: residency/fellowship trained or had Ph.D. degrees. A Pharm.D. doesn't count.

Finally, anytime you ask for advice, don't assume people are "hating" on you. It just makes an ass out of you, not me (get it assume --> ass u me?). The simple fact is you have many people like me that have gone to a well established pharmacy school, along with grad school, and looking at IVY league business school, that look at you and see where pharmacy screwed up. Your pissant program doesn't belong and your pissant program along with the rest are where major educational issues are occurring in the profession. ACPE needs to **** can all of these new programs and start a quota system. This isn't a bash on you, just a question of why in the hell would you not go to a good school that other pharmacists respect? If you brought your resume to me and said I graduated from RFU (whatever the hell that is) I would ask you to politely see yourself out.

on that note....let's move this thread back to comparing/talking about the multiple illinois schools... Did anyone else notice that RFU extended their supplemental deadline to May? I wonder if Roosevelt will do the same...

on that note....let's move this thread back to comparing/talking about the multiple illinois schools... Did anyone else notice that RFU extended their supplemental deadline to May? I wonder if Roosevelt will do the same...

Roosevelt already extended theur supplemental deadline. But the have a "reason." Due to "pharmcas" delays. I'm sure it's just an excuse though.

Thank you guys.... I'd appreciate your time and your words so so much. Now it's my turn to convince myself again if I had made a right choice. I still have chances to go to UIC though...:)

Oh and about the extended deadline.... oh my gosh, unbelievable! :eek:

Though I am new to the game... just based on all of the research I've done... there is absolutely NO WAY that I'd choose any other IL school over UIC or Midwestern if I got accepted into either one of them.

The power of networking is tremendous and the relationships you"ll gain by going to one of the more established schools are invaluable.

Roosevelt already extended theur supplemental deadline. But the have a "reason." Due to "pharmcas" delays. I'm sure it's just an excuse though.

Bahaha. I just checked their website and it says the supplemental deadline is extended indefinitely. And they start classes in what, July?

Seriously, new schools just want your money and they don't care about you at all.

Anyways, this profession is in serious trouble. Not so many people apply to pharmacy schools anymore and therefore, in order to fill the class, the school have to take everyone!! Oh my gosh....:(

Now I'm not sure if UIC is a top-ten school anymore when they accept me with a 49-went-down-to-43 PCAT, 3.4 GPA (1.5 yr at CC and 1 sem at UIC), no degree. A friend of mine who got in to UIC with a 39 PCAT, 3.7 GPA (done at CC), no degree.

Seriously, new schools just want your money and they don't care about you at all.

Anyways, this profession is in serious trouble. Not so many people apply to pharmacy schools anymore and therefore, in order to fill the class, the school have to take everyone!! Oh my gosh....:(

Now I'm not sure if UIC is a top-ten school anymore when they accept me with a 49-went-down-to-43 PCAT, 3.4 GPA (1.5 yr at CC and 1 sem at UIC), no degree. A friend of mine who got in to UIC with a 39 PCAT, 3.7 GPA (done at CC), no degree.

Yep. Schools are a business and they can charge a lot more for pharmacy school than most other degrees. And you are absolutely wrong about acceptance. The school I went to and teach at have a >20:1 ratio of applicants to positions. These new schools just make it easier for idiots to get in.

Perspective- I am a pharmacist and I am part of our department's interview committee for jobs and for residency.

When it comes down to it and I am looking at applicants (all things being equal) to offer a job to...I am more likely to pick a candidate that went to UIC or MWU over one of these new schools. I know the reputation of graduates they produce.

The fact of the matter is that these new schools have no alumni base and have no graduates that are currently in leadership roles. The people that are making these hiring/interview decisions are graduates of other schools and may be biased towards new schools. You can argue that this is wrong, but that is the way it is.

This isn't a bash on you, just a question of why in the hell would you not go to a good school that other pharmacists respect? If you brought your resume to me and said I graduated from RFU (whatever the hell that is) I would ask you to politely see yourself out.

The fact of the matter is that these new schools have no alumni base and have no graduates that are currently in leadership roles. The people that are making these hiring/interview decisions are graduates of other schools and may be biased towards new schools. You can argue that this is wrong, but that is the way it is.

These two comments are exactly the reason I chose not to apply to RFU, even though I think that one day it could be a great program. It seems as if more and more people in pharmacy hiring positions are holding the same resentment/anger towards new schools as dingerx. I would hate to show up to an interview and have to deal with all that negativity needlessly.

Also, someone just told me that in order for a new school to become accredited 75% of the first graduating class must pass the NAPLEX. If at least 75% don't pass, even if a person passes the NAPLEX they will not be able to work as a licensed pharmacist. Does anyone know if this is true? I haven't been able to find anything online to validate or state otherwise. If someone could provide a link or whatever, that would be great. Thanks!

These two comments are exactly the reason I chose not to apply to RFU, even though I think that one day it could be a great program. It seems as if more and more people in pharmacy hiring positions are holding the same resentment/anger towards new schools as dingerx. I would hate to show up to an interview and have to deal with all that negativity needlessly.

Also, someone just told me that in order for a new school to become accredited 75% of the first graduating class must pass the NAPLEX. If at least 75% don't pass, even if a person passes the NAPLEX they will not be able to work as a licensed pharmacist. Does anyone know if this is true? I haven't been able to find anything online to validate or state otherwise. If someone could provide a link or whatever, that would be great. Thanks!

To clarify, I'm not angry, just got tired of seeing idiot students from new programs rotate through my sites. ACPE will eventually start limiting or closing down schools that don't meet minimum standards. Stay tuned boys and girls for that one!!!

I just got my copy of the Wisconsin Pharmacy Society magazine. Both RFU and Roosevelt have ads in it. They are trying to get pharmacists to accept students. Places which tend to accept students in the SE WI area have already made commitments with either Madison or Concordia.

From what I've been told, those that are in the first class are ok as long as they pass the boards, but who knows how good a degree from a non-accredited school will look. As for those that are not in that first class, I have no idea. I think they may be screwed.

It's getting too easy to get into pharmacy school. I know someone that was accepted to UIC with a 36 on the PCAT. I think this particular student will make a good pharmacist, but It's scary that they were accepted to a top institution. This is a top tier school that is being forced to severely lower their applicant standards due to the influx of new programs. I can't imagine who's getting into the lesser programs.

Last edited:
Let me give you the quick version of pharmacy school. From a student's perspective, I wanted to burn my school to the damn ground every damn day.

This is the best most honest most accurate statement I have heard about pharmacy school or any other professional school in a long time. I laughed for a full five minutes after reading this post. I salute you!

-from a P1 a few days away from finals