Campbell vs UNC Pharmacy School....New Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmHopeFul70

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have been accepted into UNC's and Campbell's Pharmacys school. I've also gotten outside scholarships and assistance that would make both schools about equal in price. My goal is to do a PGY1 and then a specialty hospital PGY 2 residency.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of each school?

Any help is appreciated.:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I have been accepted into UNC's and Campbell's Pharmacys school. I've also gotten outside scholarships and assistance that would make both schools about equal in price. My goal is to do a PGY1 and then a specialty hospital PGY 2 residency.

Any opinions on the pros and cons of each school?

Any help is appreciated.:)

Congrats on your acceptance! Both schools are great!! I went to undergrad at Campbell and loved it there. My boyfriend is currently a P2 at UNC and he likes it there also. But if I had to choose, I would choose UNC simply because I've already spent 4 years at Campbell so now knowing what it's like, I want to experience a different environment. Plus UNC's tuition is the cheapest and they are ranked 2nd in the US (which will look great when you're applying for residency). What are some things you liked about each schools? Both are highly respected schools so whichever school you choose, you'll be in good hands :)

Definitely UNC! It has a better reputation which is very important with the saturation of the market.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi PharmHopeFul,

I'm currently a P1 at Campbell and also had the difficult decision you had to make, including others currently in my class, so you're not alone.

There are many problems with the "ranking" system by the media (usnews) and the methodology used to determine these rankings (see http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...12/03/12/methodology-graduate-health-rankings example: 39% response rate by 135 schools surveyed. UNC does have a bigger name, so they are more recognized, but in my opinion it's not a measure of the type of education you will receive. With that said, I hope UNC being "#2" doesn't weigh to heavily with you as it didn't with me. I think when going after a residency, UNC or Campbell on your transcript won't matter, despite what FarmD said above...what matters is your grades but more importantly how involved you get in extracurricular activities including officer positions in organizations, but that's another subject.

The curriculum is different year to year, so I would research that before deciding. For example, the Top 100/200/300 drug exams. This includes Brand/Generic, Dosage Forms, Indications, Strengths, etc.
-Campbell takes a Top 100 exam at the end of the first semester of Pharmacy School and a Top 300 exam p3 year.
-UNC takes a Top 200 exam, not sure what semester though, might be p1 year as well.

UNC Curriculum: http://pharmacy.unc.edu/programs/the-pharmd/curriculum
Campbell Curriculum: http://www.campbell.edu/cphs/academic-programs/pharmd/curriculum/

If you're going to get a hospital residency and you're dead set on that, I would consider the fact that UNC is connected to a hospital. But at the same time, keep in mind a lot of students who go to UNC are going because they want a hospital residency. You will have to do a lot to set yourself apart from the rest there. Just my thoughts when I was making my decision. I just don't want you to assume if you go to Campbell you won't get a hospital residency.

There is a lot you should consider but both schools are great and amazing, and UNC certainly deserves to be on the top pharmacy school list because of the research they do, but don't let that be an automatic factor. Don't think because you have UNC on your diploma you'll get a residency over a person with Wingate on theirs. That's not how it works. YOU determine what residency you get, you're the biggest factor, not the school. Your choices throughout school will determine that.

People get into UNC and not Campbell, and vice versa. Both schools are challenging and people from all over the nation come to Campbell for various reasons. We even have a 2010 PharmD (Campbell) graduate that did her pre-pharmacy (and was a cheerleader) at UNC. Imagine that!

If you have any questions let me know, I'll answer without bias. Good luck with your decision!

Hey FarmD,

I actually go to Campbell as well right now. I'm actually a sophomore here.
but are you in or planning to go to UNC?

I like Campbell because I already have a foundation here and know professors/deans in the pharmacy school. Yet, I feel "restricted" when I am Buies Creek just because it is such a small, rural town...not quite sure if that makes sense.

Has your boy friend found leadership opportunities at UNC? or are they really hard to get?

Hey JonPrePharmD,

thanks for the insightful reply. I actually go to campbell undergrad. I enjoy the faculty caring about their students. but besides the "family feel", what do you think sets Campbell and UNC apart? What aspect of Pharmacy does Campbell focus more on? I sometimes feel like they focus on rural.

and what type of activites do the student organizations do?

Hey FarmD,

I actually go to Campbell as well right now. I'm actually a sophomore here.
but are you in or planning to go to UNC?

I like Campbell because I already have a foundation here and know professors/deans in the pharmacy school. Yet, I feel "restricted" when I am Buies Creek just because it is such a small, rural town...not quite sure if that makes sense.

Has your boy friend found leadership opportunities at UNC? or are they really hard to get?

Hey!
I didn't apply to UNC actually although I wished I had. And I know what you mean about the rural town. But I've heard neighboring cities like Lillington and Dunn are expanding with a hospital set to open in Lillington and various businesses growing in Dunn. I also think Campbell's medical school will pave the way for more growth and opportunities surrounding Buies Creek.

I'm not sure if leadership opportunities are hard to get at UNC but my bf does have many leadership positions in various organizations. He was recently inducted into Phi Lambda Sigma at UNC. I didn't know much about the society but apparently it's a very prestigious pharmacy leadership society in which you have to be invited to join. He's in the Recruitment Ambassador's Program and can probably answer any questions you may have about UNC's pharmacy school. I can message you his email if you like, just let me know! :)