Screening for AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstrub

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I met with our PD today...overall it went very well. The only concern he had was that I will likely not be AOA but will be in the top 25% of my class. He indicated that some "top" programs simply screen out the non-AOA applications. I am wondering if any of you out there can speak to this...because of my strong research background I want to apply to the top academic programs, but don't want to waste time and money on applications or away rotations at programs that will never see my application. Is there somewhere where this info is available? Is it inappropriate to ask residents/PDs if they screen applicants for AOA status?

Any input you all have would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I met with our PD today...overall it went very well. The only concern he had was that I will likely not be AOA but will be in the top 25% of my class. He indicated that some "top" programs simply screen out the non-AOA applications. I am wondering if any of you out there can speak to this...because of my strong research background I want to apply to the top academic programs, but don't want to waste time and money on applications or away rotations at programs that will never see my application. Is there somewhere where this info is available? Is it inappropriate to ask residents/PDs if they screen applicants for AOA status?

I graduated from a top residency program and although we were very selective in granting interviews we did offer interviews to applicants that were not AOA. It is a nice thing to have on your CV but it won't prevent you from matching at a top-notch program.

Hello all,

Most programs, including many of the top programs, do not use AOA as a strict cut off. I do not know of any report of the number of programs that do use AOA as a cut off. The year I applied, I know of one program that did screen out all non-AOA applicants. This was a good program, however, they are not on any of the circulating lists of so-called "top-notch" programs. It really depends on the mind set of the faculty at the program that go through the applications.

Before scheduling an away rotation, it would be a reasonable idea to write a letter explaining your interest in rotating and matching at a program, with your resume, score reports and AOA status/class rank attached, asking if you meet their cut-offs, in light of the competitive nature of ENT. It is a legitimate concern that you will spend a month at a program with zero chance of matching, when you could have rotated at another program.

For application purposes, no matter who you are, you are going to want to apply to 20+ programs. At that point, it doesn't really make sense to worry about the few programs that will screen you out.

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered sending my info to any programs prior to the actual away application process. Good to know that not too many programs screen out non-AOA applicants.

PS I will be applying to more...WAY more...than 20 programs.