AOA vs. Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headandneckguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear everyone,

I'm a rising 4th year, applying for Oto. My school just announced one of the criterias for AOA selection is that we take and pass step 2 by mid Oct, i.e., we have to take the exam by September 1st. I've already scheduled the exam at the end of this year because I didn't intend to take it before interviews. But if I keep the original date of the exam, I won't be qualified for AOA membership.

What should I do? Is AOA more important than step 2 score?

Thank you very much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

You should take Step 2 early. It's too bad that your school made the change, but if you think you have a good shot at AOA, you need to go for it. On the plus side of things, Step 2 really isn't bad. With a reasonable amount of studying most people match their step 1 score. Since you were going to take it late, I presume that you did well. Plus, you will get it out of the way earlier in the year. You definitely should enjoy the end of 4th year as much as possible. I matched into ENT last year, and was asked at a few places if I was in AOA (it was already in my application, but I guess they wanted to verify it). I didn't take step 2 until March and nobody cared. So, I think AOA is more important than Step 2, but if you need Step 2 to qualify, just get it over with and try to do decently well. You don't need to release your score if you don't want to. But, I would imagine your school would use it as one of the criteria for AOA admission.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just scheduled to take the exam on 9/1, second day of my away.
Thank you guys!
ORLHNS41, good luck with second year! Hope u have fun while being busy

Taking an entire day off of an away rotation might be a kiss of death for that program.

I wouldn't plan on taking a day off on an AUDITION rotation, especially your first working day (Day 1 will be orientation). I am planning on working every day of my rotations (in ortho) unless they make me take days off.

Hey H&Nguy-

I think the previous posters are correct that taking Step 2 on day 2 of your away rotation is not optimal, but "kiss of death" seems a little melodramatic. It's not like you're taking a day off to go to the mall or get a haircut...it's Step 2, you need it for AOA, and people realize that it is important.

Plus, it's not as if the residents/attendings at this away rotation have been biting their nails waiting for your arrival...they might not even realize you're coming...

In my mind, the optimal situation is this:
Day 1: orientation. Near the end of the day, you meet the ENT team, say 'hi,' wow them with your winning personality, and mention that you're first full day will be Wednesday, given that you are taking Step 2 on Tues (b/c it's required by your school, they just changed the deadline, etc, etc)
Day 2: dominate Step 2
Day 3: arrive to the wards, ready to play like a champion

Seriously, if you do well for the remaining month of this away rotation, I don't think missing a day (or, essentially, starting a day late) is going to dog you. Just my $0.02.

-Lab

Personally, as an attending, I would be wondering why you didn't schedule Step II during a more appropriate time. Your away rotation is an interview and on the job performance analysis.

It's kind of like getting a new job and taking a personal day right when you start.