Science GPA

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So when med schools look at science GPA, are math and stats included?

Members don't see this ad.

It's called BCPM GPA: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math.

Pretty sure stats is a subdivision of math, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Members don't see this ad :)

Pretty sure it depends on the university. Stats here is an EXST (experimental statistics) class and therefore not a BCPM, but if Stats is classified as MATH at a university, it probably would count.

So when med schools look at science GPA, are math and stats included?

Statistics is definitely counted as a math course. And the answer to the original question depends on where you are applying. If you are applying to MD programs, then math will count towards your sceince GPA. If you are applying to DO programs then math DOES NOT count toowards your science GPA.

Pretty sure it depends on the university. Stats here is an EXST (experimental statistics) class and therefore not a BCPM, but if Stats is classified as MATH at a university, it probably would count.

The department that the course is offered in shouldnt matter. Its the content. A general stats course is a general stats course. Just like an anatomy course is an anatomy course (it doesnt matter if its offered by the biology department or the kines department, its still the same and both will count toward your sGPA).

Statistics is definitely counted as a math course. And the answer to the original question depends on where you are applying. If you are applying to MD programs, then math will count towards your sceince GPA. If you are applying to DO programs then math DOES NOT count toowards your science GPA.

The department that the course is offered in shouldnt matter. Its the content. A general stats course is a general stats course. Just like an anatomy course is an anatomy course (it doesnt matter if its offered by the biology department or the kines department, its still the same and both will count toward your sGPA).

This is not true. I have take one year of stats, but it is through the Psych dept. and that does NOT count towards my science gpa. This is also the reason why I'm taking and additional stats class through the Math department... Sigh.

If stats is taught in your math department it counts, if not check with AMCAS. ;)

This is not true. I have take one year of stats, but it is through the Psych dept. and that does NOT count towards my science gpa. This is also the reason why I'm taking and additional stats class through the Math department... Sigh.

If stats is taught in your math department it counts, if not check with AMCAS. ;)

Yeah, I have a list of all the BCPM courses at my school that aren't PHYS, ASTR, BIOL, MATH, CHEM, and stats is def. not one of them.

Psych stats is not a general stats course (like stats 101 or whatever)...its a Psych stats course. THey are different and thats the exact reason why i specified. its the content of the course that matters. The reason your course didnt count is not because it was offered by the psych department but because of the content of the course. i know many people who have gotten psych stats approved as a math course.

For example, AMCAS states that Kinesiology courses do not count towards your science GPA. Howver, if you take a human anatomy course and it is offered by the Kinesiology department, it WILL count towards your science GPA. Its the content, not the department.

Last edited:
Psych stats is not a general stats course (like stats 101 or whatever)...its a Psych stats course. THey are different and thats the exact reason why i specified. ITS THE CONTENT of the course that matters. The reason your course didnt count is not because it was offered by the psych department but because of the content of the course.

For example, AMCAS states that Kinesiology courses do not count towards your science GPA. Howver, if you take a human anatomy course and it is offered by the Kinesiology department, it WILL count towards your science GPA. Its the content, not the department.

I agree with you about content but stats, offered by the EXST department, at my school does not count. I don't know why, because it is the general stats course. The math department doesn't offer stats.

What if statistics is offered through the statistics department? Does that count? Especially for podiatry school (what I'm mainly interested in)

Psych stats is not a general stats course (like stats 101 or whatever)...its a Psych stats course. THey are different and thats the exact reason why i specified. its the content of the course that matters. The reason your course didnt count is not because it was offered by the psych department but because of the content of the course. i know many people who have gotten psych stats approved as a math course.

This answer is yet again... Failed.

My psych stats was a mirror of math stats, but I go MORE information/material in Psych stats. Psych 1 stats included everything my current math stats includes and it is clearly listed on the syllabus.

Sorry, bro. The only way to figure it out is to check with AMCAS. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I don't want you to give the OP bad information.

I'm glad they'll accept your kinesiology credit, but that is NOT the norm.