School List+PS Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inconshivable

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently applying for this cycle, and I was ready to press submit on my application, but I was getting second thoughts. So, I thought it was best to get some help from other people going through this. My stats are as follows:

State: Delaware
sGPA: ~3.34 oGPA~3.61
Degree: Biology w/ Spanish Minor
DAT: 22AA, 21 TS, 22 Bio, 21 General Chem, 21 OChem, 22 Math, 26 Reading, 19 PAT
~100 Shadowing Hours (I graduated, so I plan to shadow a lot during my gap year)
~120 Volunteering Hours (again hope to increase this during my gap year)
Completed Gateway to Dentistry
If it matters, my extra curriculars are, I think, atypical of a lot of pre-dental students: involved in theater, a resident assistant, led and planned service trips, a program coordinator for a summer program, writing tutor, but I don't have any research or "STEM" stuff except being a part of my pre-dental society.

Here's my school list:

Dream:
Columbia (really attracted to their DMD/MPH program)

UCSF
USC
New England
Tufts
NYU
Western U
University of Colorado
UConn
Penn
Harvard (lol I just figured I might as well try)
UMD
Temple
University of Pacific

Also, if anyone would like to read my personal statement, that would be great too! I fear it might be cliché/too long...

THANKS A BUNCH!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

I'm currently applying for this cycle, and I was ready to press submit on my application, but I was getting second thoughts. So, I thought it was best to get some help from other people going through this. My stats are as follows:

State: Delaware
sGPA: ~3.34 oGPA~3.61
Degree: Biology w/ Spanish Minor
DAT: 22AA, 21 TS, 22 Bio, 21 General Chem, 21 OChem, 22 Math, 26 Reading, 19 PAT
~100 Shadowing Hours (I graduated, so I plan to shadow a lot during my gap year)
~120 Volunteering Hours (again hope to increase this during my gap year)
Completed Gateway to Dentistry
If it matters, my extra curriculars are, I think, atypical of a lot of pre-dental students: involved in theater, a resident assistant, led and planned service trips, a program coordinator for a summer program, writing tutor, but I don't have any research or "STEM" stuff except being a part of my pre-dental society.

Here's my school list:

Dream:
Columbia (really attracted to their DMD/MPH program)

UCSF
USC
New England
Tufts
NYU
Western U
University of Colorado
UConn
Penn
Harvard (lol I just figured I might as well try)
UMD
Temple
University of Pacific

Also, if anyone would like to read my personal statement, that would be great too! I fear it might be cliché/too long...

THANKS A BUNCH!

I think you have an outside shot for Columbia given the lower sGPA, a strong PS/showing how you are "unique" would help tremendously I would think.

Why the DDS/MPH program?

I would add Midwestern-AZ and Louisville at the minimum. A Nova or a UNLV wouldn't hurt as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm really interested in public health, and I find that dual-degree program ideal to learn about both. I also want to do more health outreach when I get older, and combat the disparity with who does and doesn't receive oral care

Members don't see this ad :)
Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, Colorado, Western and UoP will be stretches for you.. Their average numbers are significantly higher and they strongly prefer IS applicants.

Yeah... I ended up taking Western and Colorado off my list after I posted this. But, thanks for your feedback!

Harvard, Columbia, UCSF, Colorado, Western and UoP will be stretches for you.. Their average numbers are significantly higher and they strongly prefer IS applicants.

Where are you getting this information? According to 2017-2018 AADSAS book, Western University avgerage GPA is a 3.4, and a majority of their applicants are out of state, not instate.

UNLV is big on public health and community-oriented dentistry, but I have yet to see someone from Delaware matriculate...

Hmm, I'll definitely check it out then! There aren't many people in Delaware to begin with haha

Where are you getting this information? According to 2017-2018 AADSAS book, Western University avgerage GPA is a 3.4, and a majority of their applicants are out of state, not instate.
Sorry, Western shouldn't be on that list.. all the others definitely should though. Check the guide