School List Help Please!! 3.73/ MCAT 520

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream_on

Reaction score
Looking for help on a school list please! I'm interested in primary care, possibly rural or underserved communities.

Info
cGPA 3.73, sGPA 3.7 from Top5 Undergrad known for grade deflation. MCAT 520
Male, white
Took one gap year during Covid and will take one gap year post graduation.
Some undergraduate awards/scholarships. LOR - non-science should be great, science not sure
Instate Maryland, School/Work/volunteer ties to DC, Pennsylvania, NJ, Washington state

ECs
Clinical: 1000 hours as volunteer EMT with some time spent in a rural area
Research: 550 hours at undergrad with poster board presentation
Nonclinical volunteering: 400 hours for a political campaign as policy researcher (including health care policy)
Employment 300-400 hours: TA, political campaign (same position as above but moved from volunteer to paid employee)
Shadowing 50 hours (pediatrician, family, orthopedist, neurologist)
Strong, interesting visual arts background
Will likely spend gap year working for a community nonprofit and continuing to be an EMT (volunteer or paid)

In state in Maryland, Ties to DC, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Interested in NE schools especially Philadelphia and New England, and also Ohio

Possible List:
Ohio State
Jefferson
Rochester
Geisinger
Rutgers
RW Johnson
Cincinnati
Vermont
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Maryland
Temple
Hackensack
UVA
Tufts
Boston
U Mass
NYU Long Island
Temple
Brown
Cornell
Icahn
Yale
Harvard
Case Western
Rochester
VCU
Zucker

DO: UNE, PCOM

Maybe
Penn State
Columbia
Stanford??
Michigan
Columbia
Vanderbilt
Quinn
Penn
Wisconsin
Colorado
Drexel
Wash U

Looking to narrow the list down and have a balance. I'm hoping to understand which schools value primary care interest (rural/underserved) and interesting visual arts background.
ANY help is very much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look into volunteering that helps the underserved (ie homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, working with refugees etc). Doing campaign work for free does not really benefit those less fortunate. It should be of interest to some of the schools on your list though (George Washington in particular).

You do not need DO schools on your list. The NJ public schools do not really take OOS students, though I assume you may have gone to school there based on the info you shared. You have other options though in the Northeast.

I suggest:

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Jefferson
Penn
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Vermont
Dartmouth
George Washington
Maryland
UVA
Tufts (look into the Maine track)
Boston
U Mass
NYU (the regular one)
Brown
Columbia (has some rural focus)
Icahn
Yale
Johns Hopkins
UVA
Pittsburgh
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Wisconsin
Colorado
Iowa
USF

Reactions: 1 user
Look into volunteering that helps the underserved (ie homeless shelter, food bank, soup kitchen, working with refugees etc). Doing campaign work for free does not really benefit those less fortunate. It should be of interest to some of the schools on your list though (George Washington in particular).

You do not need DO schools on your list. The NJ public schools do not really take OOS students, though I assume you may have gone to school there based on the info you shared. You have other options though in the Northeast.

I suggest:

Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case
Jefferson
Penn
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Vermont
Dartmouth
George Washington