MD School List Help (2022-2023 Cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicken-n-beer

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm almost done with my Masters program (currently sitting at a 3.75 and anticipate approximately a 3.8 at graduation). I'm studying for the MCAT and anticipate a score in the "teens" (i.e. practice scores at/above 513). I'm trying to build a good school list but I'm clueless. I applied once a few years ago with little guidance and was disappointed. I was told that my ECs were excellent but my academic metrics needed improvement. I'm a Florida resident so I plan to add most if not all schools in my state.

URM
Undergrad: 3.2c; 3.0s
Masters (science emphasis at a Medical School): 3.8-3.9 (tentative)
1st MCAT: 500
2nd MCAT: (513 or above based on practice exam under test conditions)
Several years of undergrad research
Plenty of shadowing across a few specialties

If I take my MCAT exam on April 29th, would this be kinda late? Also, what are some good gap year jobs for someone with a Masters degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
April 29th is not late for the MCAT. Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?

What about clinical experiences and nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community? Why did you do a Masters and not a DIY post bacc or even a SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
April 29th is not late for the MCAT. Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic are you fluent in Spanish ? Where is your state of residence ?

I'm a Florida resident. I'm African American.

What about clinical experiences and nonclinical volunteering focusing on the unserved/underserved in your community? Why did you do a Masters and not a DIY post bacc or even a SMP?

I've done a decent amount of shadowing. In addition, I intend to start scribing soon. I did a good deal of nonclinical volunteering in undergrad (mentoring younger student interested in science and tutoring for undeserved communities).

I'm in a Masters program that is an SMP (geared to matriculating at one specific school) but I wanted a broader application.

Post your MCAT score here when available. If your score is 508 or higher you have a ~80% chance for a MD acceptance. Which schools you can apply to will depend on your actual score.

Reactions: 1 user
I've done a decent amount of shadowing. In addition, I intend to start scribing soon. I did a good deal of nonclinical volunteering in undergrad (mentoring younger student interested in science and tutoring for undeserved communities).

I'm in a Masters program that is an SMP (geared to matriculating at one specific school) but I wanted a broader application.
What are your program directors/ faculty telling you about your chances?

What are your program directors/ faculty telling you about your chances?
They seem to view my application favorably but for many reasons I need to matriculate in my home state. I’m not opposed to attending my current school and I know beggars can’t be choosers.