School doesn't have peds residency, should I do an away Sub-I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firefly23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title says it all honestly. I'm currently an OMS III trying to figure out my 4th year schedule. Our school doesn't require us to do a sub-I and the children's hospital we're affiliated with doesn't have a peds residency. Should I try to do one at another location? I've just heard that aways can be a double edged sword but I also don't want to be at a disadvantage when intern year comes. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure if you are an MD or DO but as a DO, I was always told by my school that if you are looking for a specific place, do an away or audition. If not, you will likely be ok.

Edit: I suppose if you are an OMS III you are a DO student. So hopefully applicable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused, you aren't required to do a peds Sub-I and you have no local children's hospital to rotate at? Whatever, the case you need pediatric LORs. Whatever gets you that is what you need to do.

I think he said there is a children’s hospital but no residents, so he would mostly work with attendings.

OP I think you should do a peds away just so you get the experience of what it is like to be part of a pedi residency program

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question: So I have a peds LOR from my 3rd yr clerkship director and I know I definitely need to get another one during 4th year. Might be a dumb question but the letter should come from a residency director or can I just get one from an attending that I work with?

Quick question: So I have a peds LOR from my 3rd yr clerkship director and I know I definitely need to get another one during 4th year. Might be a dumb question but the letter should come from a residency director or can I just get one from an attending that I work with?

There are some programs that request a letter from the chair of the department. They will often accept one from the program director or the clerkship director instead. Most programs had dropped this requirement when I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
That said, I would strongly encourage you to have a letter from an attending that you worked with directly and who knows you well. If you also worked one on one with the course director or residency PD, that could satisfy both aspects. But for many programs, its more beneficial to have a letter from someone who has seen you in action and can provide examples.