Lifestyle vs passion: psych or inpatient peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Extremely down to the wire on this. Planning on maybe dual applying peds and psych (to do child psych). Have a passion for inpatient peds, but like child psych/adult psych enough to want to do it well.

Peds pros:
-Love inpatient work and the diversity of the cases
-The kids often get better and the families for the most part are very grateful
-Really great team environment, very positive environment overall
-Always left in a good mood from the shift

Peds cons:
-Salary, have heard of salaries for hospitalists as low as 150k. This is wild to me considering the fellowship now
-Longer hours than psych and inpatient with irregular hours as well
-While can do a multitude of fellowships they either require a more time intensive work schedule or ultimately decrease earning potential outside of the select PICU,NICU etc which I more than likely wouldn't do anyways
-Don't like gen peds because of the pace and this is what pays the most
-Residents seemed burned out, this could be program dependent

Psych pros:
-40 hours with no holidays or weekends which will let me be at home with the kids more
-Residents appear really happy and have a lot of free time for hobbies
-Various different settings you can work
-Pays shockingly well for the time put into it (250-400k)
-Awesome schedule with no weekends or holidays
-Can see improvements in the outpatient settings, especially in ADHD
-Very specialized which is good and bad

Psych cons:
-there is improvement but it's slow
-Dislike psych polypharmacy as a whole, especially in child psych. I felt like a slew of the medications side effects were more harmful than helpful when considering a ton of the presentations are related to the poor home environments and structure rather than a true need for the meds
-Really dislike the nature of inpatient work
-Very specialized and at times feels a bit lackluster because of the lack of medicine focus
-Like it, but just not as much as peds
-Super long notes
-Hands down can have some of the most difficult patients

My mind tells me that I like psych enough and from a lifestyle perspective, psych seemingly wins hands down. This is important to me because of home life with kids and wanting to spend time with them. But I came into medicine to do peds, really enjoy the subject matter, population and work dynamics. Hate the thought of taking what I perceive as a giant lifestyle cut for 'passion', when for all I know I could burn out in peds or psych and maybe should have chosen the better lifestyle? I'm completely torn. Thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you could do psych and then at the end decide if you want to child psych. There are combined psych/peds residencies. Where I did residency, the psych residents also had the option of doing like 1.5 years of general pediatrics residency and then psych. The program was like 4 to 5 years total (I don't remember the specifics cause it was a decade and a half ago).

Reactions: 1 user