*Scholl Class of 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Racine is at least another 10-15 mins north and the schools aren't anything to brag about. Racine also has some bad areas that rival Chicago's. Kenosha has quite a few nice areas, but it also has a few bad areas; be careful. I had a couple of friends who lived up there and loved it, but again, make sure you know which schools and such your kids will be going to! Not all Kenosha schools are fantastic.

Pleasant Prairie is another great burb that is a lot smaller than Kenosha, but borders it, so you have all of the conveniences of Kenosha with small town feel. Kenosha is quite a bit bigger and more Waukegan-like (60,000+).

People in WI are generally awesome and I've found a bit friendlier than in Northern IL. Although...that house is still for sale on my street!!! Carpooling...Studying...Alright, I'll give it a rest.:D

i'm just trying to get a feel for things since I will be coming to IL on May 28th. I just don't want to waste any time looking at areas that are not up to my standards.

i may check with a realtor before coming out so they can have things ready for my family to look at. :)

KHep, can you tell me what the house looks like again. I need at least 3 bedrooms(minimum) and 2 bath house. I need a garage as well.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm just trying to get a feel for things since I will be coming to IL on May 28th. I just don't want to waste any time looking at areas that are not up to my standards.

i may check with a realtor before coming out so they can have things ready for my family to look at. :)

KHep, can you tell me what the house looks like again. I need at least 3 bedrooms(minimum) and 2 bath house. I need a garage as well.

It's 3 bed 2 bath, 2 car detached garage. There has only been one owner and it's been well taken care of. It's a brick house built in the late 50's and it's on about 1/3 acre. There are a few others in the neighborhood too, although the lots are smaller and I think one of them only has a one car garage.

How long are you in for at the end of the month?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know I will probably have to stay at my in-laws' place in Elmwood Park (west side) during such times and I'm sure even that will be a hellatious commute.

Before moving to spring grove i was staying in elmwood park. We have a condo there on North ave & Thatcher Ave intersection. Yeah that North Ave and Grand Ave traffic is out of this world. i cant compare that to any other traffic. though elmwood park is very nearby to downtown but during rush hour it is no less than an hour's drive. This is so great, in P1 & P2 yrs we can study in College of Lake county library and then in P-3,P-4 we can study at Trition college. lol!. i really loved that neighborhood. have you ever been to Russels barbeque in elmwood park.

How long are you in for at the end of the month?

From May 28th/29th to Saturday, June 2nd, so about a week.

i hope to locate something nice, possibly on a lease to own basis. I'm not sure about buying b/c I'm going through selling our house here. it has not been a good experience. the market for sellers is bad here in Houston. :thumbdown:

i don't know where I will want to do my residency, so I may not buy a house.

It's 3 bed 2 bath, 2 car detached garage. There has only been one owner and it's been well taken care of. It's a brick house built in the late 50's and it's on about 1/3 acre. There are a few others in the neighborhood too, although the lots are smaller and I think one of them only has a one car garage.

sounds pretty nice....do you know the square footage? I know that's asking a lot :)

it's in grayslake, so I will definitely check out the area when I come down.

:)

i did a pros and cons comparison. i compared tuition, locale, curriculum, school resources, workforce/employment opps (for husband), cost of living, interview, interaction with current students, etc.

you will get a feel for where you are most comfortable. :)

Are you going to be a first year?

sounds pretty nice....do you know the square footage? I know that's asking a lot :)

it's in grayslake, so I will definitely check out the area when I come down.

:)

I have no idea and the owner is out of town, so I can't even ask;)
Let me know if you want to try to get together when you are in town...we could grab lunch some day or get a drink one evening?

I have no idea and the owner is out of town, so I can't even ask;)
Let me know if you want to try to get together when you are in town...we could grab lunch some day or get a drink one evening?

that would be great. you can meet my hubby and kids too. i will PM you before i hit the road to give you contact info to reach me :thumbup: OR you can PM me your info. i can give you a call when we get into town.

It would be nice if any other people may want to join, just to say hello before school starts. :)

that would be great. you can meet my hubby and kids too. i will PM you before i hit the road to give you contact info to reach me :thumbup: OR you can PM me your info. i can give you a call when we get into town.

It would be nice if any other people may want to join, just to say hello before school starts. :)

Sounds great! So, who's up for it?

When are you all meeting up? I'd love to plan a little meet & greet before school starts. I wont be up in Chicago until around the start of August though :(. But when Im up there I'd love to meet all my great classmates!

Members don't see this ad :)
When are you all meeting up? I'd love to plan a little meet & greet before school starts. I wont be up in Chicago until around the start of August though :(. But when Im up there I'd love to meet all my great classmates!

i am coming up the week of May 28th to about June 2nd to look for housing. so i figured since i would be meeting up with KHep, other classmates may like to join us.

Once we all get into town around late July, early August, we all can get together again before orientation. :)

I'd love to meet up! :)

once i get into town I was going to call KHep and meet up. Anyone who would like to join us can. We can get something to eat, etc.

i am planning to come May 28th(Memorial Day) thru June 2nd or so.

Hey guys - does anyone know if we need to purchase scrubs for this year (I'm assuming we need them for anatomy lab). Does anyone know if we wait to get them through the school or get them beforehand? (Older students, if you know this info, could you let us 1st years know?) Thanks! :)

Hey guys, I'm getting a little worried that I haven't recieved anything regarding financial aid. Does anyone know when we can expect word? I sent in my FAFSA way before the March deadline and I mailed my RFU fin aid apps around the end of April. Anyone in the same boat as I am or should I call fin aid? Thanks.

...Sorry Carebear for changing topics here.

I havent heard anything about buying scrubs yet. I'm assuming we need to buy something for anatomy class. If not scrubs, then something like a lab coat or a lab apron. Maybe RFU will give us a list of things to buy in the packet they'll be mailing us in June. Sometimes I wish they'd keep more in touch with us (like email or snail mail). Sometimes I feel like I'm still not a student there! There's still alot of things I'm not sure about...

Scrubs are a must for anatomy lab. Unlike the CMS students, Scholl students are in the lab the entire school year (Aug-Feb for gross anatomy, and March-May for lower extremity). You will definitely go through a few pairs. As for lab coats, they are optional, but there are quite a few people who wear them. This is true for those people who are into dissecting and tend to splatter their arms and such.

As for financial aid, returning students just found out about their aid packages a couple weeks ago, so I'm sure new students will find out in the coming weeks.

-Bigkabob
SCPM c/o 2009

Thanks bigkabob. Do they sell scrubs and medical attire/supplies in the school bookstore? Or do we buy all that stuff somewhere else? Do they sell dissection kits at the bookstore? Thanks again. :)

Thanks bigkabob. Do they sell scrubs and medical attire/supplies in the school bookstore? Or do we buy all that stuff somewhere else? Do they sell dissection kits at the bookstore? Thanks again. :)

Hi there! I know when we were there in March, they had scrubs for sale in the bbokstore. They had solid pink and I believe blue. It might be cheaper just to pick them up at Wal-mart. Maybe Bigkabob can clue us in again!!!

Hi there! I know when we were there in March, they had scrubs for sale in the bbokstore. They had solid pink and I believe blue. It might be cheaper just to pick them up at Wal-mart. Maybe Bigkabob can clue us in again!!!

Hi KHep! Unbelievably bad on my part, I never made it to the bookstore the day of our interview! :confused: I wish I had though- I dont even know where it is... Anyways, glad to hear they sell scrubs. btw, I didnt know Walmart sells them!- good to know though. Im sure its way cheaper than bookstore prices.

Hi KHep! Unbelievably bad on my part, I never made it to the bookstore the day of our interview! :confused: I wish I had though- I dont even know where it is... Anyways, glad to hear they sell scrubs. btw, I didnt know Walmart sells them!- good to know though. Im sure its way cheaper than bookstore prices.

i have a friend at work just buy some at Walmart. She paid like $10 for a couple different print tops. not sure what she paid for the bottoms. but they were cheaper than the scrub shops. :thumbup:

there are a few online stores. i will get the links and post them.

Fin Aid: the last time i talked to them a couple weeks ago, they said that incoming will be processed after the deadline (May 18th). i was calling to be sure my file was complete. so i would assume very shortly info will be going out. :)

Is Scholl a closed campus school or open campus. Because when i went to Scholl (it was tuesday at 9am) for my interview. The main door had to be swiped by a card to open and there was a security guard/receptionist at the entrance and i asked him for Admission's office and interview stuff. And then Kim came there to recieve me and took me to admission's office.

Ok why am i asking this, i thought i would show my parents around. In Marquette we dont have anything like this. During day time anyone can go, roam around the campus, inside the buildings and get a feel of the place.

Can anyone give any idea. Was it that particular day or ingeneral is Scholl a closed campus (i.e only students can enter and leave).

Is Scholl a closed campus school or open campus. Because when i went to Scholl (it was tuesday at 9am) for my interview. The main door had to be swiped by a card to open and there was a security guard/receptionist at the entrance and i asked him for Admission's office and interview stuff. And then Kim came there to recieve me and took me to admission's office.

Ok why am i asking this, i thought i would show my parents around. In Marquette we dont have anything like this. During day time anyone can go, roam around the campus, inside the buildings and get a feel of the place.

Can anyone give any idea. Was it that particular day or ingeneral is Scholl a closed campus (i.e only students can enter and leave).

I think it is always closed. Remember it is North Chicago. I bet if you just called Mandy and told her that you wanted to bring your P's in, she would make arrangements for you. I know I had the same thought about showing it to my kids. It's good for them to be able to visualize where I will be all day (since they're mad that I won't be at home baking cookies for them all day:D ). You can always drive onto the property ...that's open; just not the buildings.

Who is everyone using for their loan lenders. I followed the directions on the financial aid sheet and ended up with the school as my lender on the MPN but I'm not sure if they charge that 3% origination feee. I've been looking online at different lenders and have found that CitiBank and Chase and Sallie Mae don't charge the origination fee. Does anyone have any info? Thanks:D

Hey cool_vkb, I agree with kHep. When we had our interview it was closed. Only card holders could open the doors. But Im sure they issue "guest passes" or some sort of loophole for prospective students, parents, family, and friends that want to visit. Call Mandy or Kim. They'll help for sure.

Hey cool_vkb, I agree with kHep. When we had our interview it was closed. Only card holders could open the doors. But Im sure they issue "guest passes" or some sort of loophole for prospective students, parents, family, and friends that want to visit. Call Mandy or Kim. They'll help for sure.

Kim's still on maternity leave:)

You will always need an ID card to swipe the doors. However, if you decide to come down with family, you can use the front entrance (by the road) to get past a security guard.

Even though I have asked this in the past....I am asking again :rolleyes:

For those who have thought about it, where do you plan to work? What job? What year do you plan to work?

I'm a Medical Technologist and can make pretty good pay. I wanted to work just PRN (as needed) here and there to pick some extra cash if I COULD.

So please nobody go off the deep end just because i brought up working. I know all about how busy and hard school will be....blah, blah, blah. We all are adults and can make our own decisions, whether they be wise or stupid ;)

I'm simply asking out of curiosity. :thumbup:

Even though I have asked this in the past....I am asking again :rolleyes:

For those who have thought about it, where do you plan to work? What job? What year do you plan to work?

I'm a Medical Technologist and can make pretty good pay. I wanted to work just PRN (as needed) here and there to pick some extra cash if I COULD.

So please nobody go off the deep end just because i brought up working. I know all about how busy and hard school will be....blah, blah, blah. We all are adults and can make our own decisions, whether they be wise or stupid ;)

I'm simply asking out of curiosity. :thumbup:

Well i am a licensed Radiography Tech (dont ask how as i went to school for Med tech:laugh: ]. i was working as a MRI tech but i dont plan to work during school. Its like a deal between me and my dad. he offered to take care of all my expenses provided i stay with them. and i happily agreed:D but i still plan to work for a Mobile X-ray service during weekends or twice a month.

You guys are lucky that you have something that you can do just once or twice a month that pays well. If I had that, I might too consider doing it...although I'm pretty sure I will be in need of studying nearly constantly, since I don't have a science background.

You guys are lucky that you have something that you can do just once or twice a month that pays well. If I had that, I might too consider doing it...although I'm pretty sure I will be in need of studying nearly constantly, since I don't have a science background.

how far is your home from Grayslake metra. Iam thinking of commuting from Spring grove to Grayslake and then probably we can do a car pool from there.

i sent you 2 PM...did you get them?

Hi all,

i am in Chicago next week....who still wants to do a informal meet and greet?

I know KHep and CareBear said they were interested....

I will be staying at a hotel in Gurnee. What is a good place to meet up? Somewhere like a pizza joint/italian/chinese to eat or something.

The only day that may not be good for me is Wednesday, as my husband has a job interview that day and will have the car. :thumbup:

I talked to Mandy on the phone yesterday and just found out about my acceptance! I will be joining you all in the fall. Now I have to figure out my living situation.

I talked to Mandy on the phone yesterday and just found out about my acceptance! I will be joining you all in the fall. Now I have to figure out my living situation.

Congrats!:thumbup:

i just made it into town about 3 hours ago. I will be on the hunt tomorrow for housing. Got an appt with a local realtor to look at some places. You may want to look around in Grayslake, Mundelein, Vernon Hills, Libertyville, Gurnee, Gages Lake, Waukegan; Kenosha, WI or Racine, WI.

Those are a few places that I have and will be checking out housing.

Scrubs in the school bookstore sells for like 17-18 bucks for a set.

I thought about working my way through school as a contract killer, but I'm pretty sure if i was ever convicted of accessory murder I might not be granted a medical license :laugh:

I do not plan to work. It will be costly, but I'll be more than happy to put that much more effort into school. Hope everyone is having a last great summer of freedom!

I might ref a few soccer games for extra cash (and the exercise/fresh air). If anyone ever played a sport or anything, you should look into reffing at a local park district.

Im having an issue fulfulling my immunization reqs. For some reason I only have 2 of the 3-series vaccines completed for the Hep. B series, so I may have to do them all again and that is about a 6-month process. Obviously it wont be fulfilled before matriculation, so I was wondering if not having it finished will prevent me from enrolling in classes. Does anyone know? I know some schools allow it as long as you've started the series before school starts and have it done within your 1st year. Anyone have an idea? Im really nervous about getting into some trouble about this...

Im having an issue fulfulling my immunization reqs. For some reason I only have 2 of the 3-series vaccines completed for the Hep. B series, so I may have to do them all again and that is about a 6-month process. Obviously it wont be fulfilled before matriculation, so I was wondering if not having it finished will prevent me from enrolling in classes. Does anyone know? I know some schools allow it as long as you've started the series before school starts and have it done within your 1st year. Anyone have an idea? Im really nervous about getting into some trouble about this...

Have you tried calling the school to find out? I need to give them a call to find out how old my titers can be. I have had them done in the past. I wonder if they will accept those or do I have to get them redone.

Sorry guys - I don't mean to change topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew where we purchased our books for classes? I figure this is something again we must wait on to find out, but someone had actually suggested to me that getting them online would be cheaper than the bookstore (surprise, surprise lol). That would be an excellent idea - but of course we need to know the books required. Does anyone (specificially P2s and up) know when Scholl students find out what books we'll need for our first quarter of classes? (aside from the obvious anatomy atlas, etc.)

pRHOfessional7 I was reading through the previous posts and discovered that you and I interviewed on the same day! Which one of the 6-7 interviewing were you? I was the yokel from Utah and sat just through the door of the waiting room and against the wall to the right. It's great to know I'll at least...kinda...sorta...barely (but not really) know someone else starting this fall. :D

Sorry guys - I don't mean to change topic, but I was wondering if anyone knew where we purchased our books for classes? I figure this is something again we must wait on to find out, but someone had actually suggested to me that getting them online would be cheaper than the bookstore (surprise, surprise lol). That would be an excellent idea - but of course we need to know the books required. Does anyone (specificially P2s and up) know when Scholl students find out what books we'll need for our first quarter of classes? (aside from the obvious anatomy atlas, etc.)

Hey Carebear! I think somewhere else someone had mentioned what books we'll need. I believe the poster said that most of the studying is off of the powerpoints and notes. When I find it, I'll let you know....one post I just found was:
"I was a physiology major, and I didn't once open my undergrad physio book here a couple years ago. As for medical immuno, the book you will use here (and is pretty much required as test questions came out of this book) is "Concise Medical Immunology" by Doan.
Most of your books for 1st year will be for Anatomy."

hope that helps a little.

Hopefully a returning student will see this, but I'll be living in student housing this year and I was just wondering what the food choices are. Is there a grocery store close by? Also, what about specialty markets (i.e. Japanese food store since I make a lot of asian food)?

Just wondering because this will be one of the first times I won't have a vehicle to take me places :(...

Hopefully a returning student will see this, but I'll be living in student housing this year and I was just wondering what the food choices are. Is there a grocery store close by? Also, what about specialty markets (i.e. Japanese food store since I make a lot of asian food)?

Just wondering because this will be one of the first times I won't have a vehicle to take me places :(...

The whole town of Gurnee is a shopping complex:) and lake forest is like very high fi neighborhood.Dont worry you will find ample of exotic/ethinic grocerries and restaurants with 5-10 mile radius. And if you want 100% authentic then good old chinatown is accesible by metra then by a local train.

There are several asian markets nearby in Gurnee and Libertyville; no worries. I'll be going over to them myself, so you can always come with me and then I will take you back to school. My husband and I cook a lot of asian food too.:)

There are several asian markets nearby in Gurnee and Libertyville; no worries. I'll be going over to them myself, so you can always come with me and then I will take you back to school. My husband and I cook a lot of asian food too.:)

Thanks so much for offering a ride! I'll make up for it by making you some sushi or something tasty ;)

Has anyone gotten any info on exact start dates? I know it is the first part of August, but I can't seem to find anything on the website with dates for orientation or classes.