Scholl c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Like the previous 3 posters my experience as a first year here at scholls, and living 30min north of chicago has been tremendous.
to address some of icemans rants and add to them.......

Yes the quarter system here doesnt mean classes start and end on the quarter breaks, as it did in undergrad. youll have an exam or a quiz the week following a break. It does blow to have that in the back of your mind as you try to relax during your week off, but in retrospect im glad its been like this. Our exams and finals are staggered throughout the entire year, we never had real "finals" week where its a solid week of finals in all our classes. Ive never once felt like i didnt have enough time or opportunities to prepare for a final. Everything does stop at the spring-summer quarter though, nothing rolls over into the summer months.

the 2+2 idea is to give us more clinical rotations and clerkship opportunities during the 3rd and 4th year. Thats all there is to it. And we make up for what would have been the first part of 3rd year classes by going through the summers, and i believe taking an extra class or maybe two during the 2nd year. This isnt a marketing plot or some diabolical scheme, its giving us more clinical experience for year 3 and 4 by axing our summers for year 1 and 2.

Members don't see this ad.

To respond directly to Iceman's post seems unrealistic. I feel what was said is that post is so off-the-mark I cannot justify commenting on specific accusations made.

As I enter my third year - and prepare for my first board exam in a few weeks, I can assure you I feel totally prepared. I have the tools and basic knowledge do well on boards, and feel confident as I start clearkship experience in a few months.

I truly believe that whatever school you decide to go to - it is up to YOU to make the best out of your time. All of the schools will prepare you to be a podiatrist. However, I feel that Scholl provided the environment that makes it easier to succeed in academics and clinical skills.

The Scholl clinic is actually pretty busy - each time I have clinic for an afternoon, I always see at least 2 patients. In addition, Scholl students have so many other ways to treat patients and different populations. I have worked in the podiatry tent at the Chicago marathon, accentra triathlon, avon breast cancer walk, and was part of the Hustle up the hancock medical team. I have clipped toe nails in a church basement and nursing homes, removed toe nails at a free clinic downtown, treated ankle sprains and PTTD at a homeless sheter in the community. None of these experiences are sexy - but you need to start somewhere.

Bottom line, Scholl ensures that students will participate in the maximum amount of patient care while preparing you in the classroom. Work hard, have a good attitude, and enjoy what you are doing instead of whining about it - you will so great anywhere you are.

regardless of what iceman has to say, i am really excited to start my first year at scholl!

i had a few questions for current students: when i had my interview, several students said that books weren't completely necessary to do well there. however, i have never taken biochem and i was thinking maybe i should get a book to try and get some basics down before school started. is there a book you suggest that i purchase?

also, i was wondering about off campus living options. i am on the waitlist for the oncampus apartments but i don't want to end up without a place to live if that doesn't work out for me. i have heard about the woodlands as well, but are there other relatively close apartments i could look at?

thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current 3rd year student (4th year in one week!), and I have to say that Scholl prepares their students well for boards and clerkship. The professors prepare you for boards and give you a one week review before the end of your second year so that you know what to emphasize when studying. The clinic at scholl focuses on the quality of work that students do. We might not see the most patients on a daily basis compared to other schools, but I have to say that the clinicians focus on the quality of work that students put in. I think that is important for students starting up their medical careers, especially since you will be nervous when you get your first "real" patient. Good luck to everyone.

ohpodologia,

The book students use for Biochemistry most frequently is "Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews: Biochemistry." It is a nice book to help you out with topics you find confusing and for board review your second year.

In terms of off campus housing I would look at the Amli at Osprey Lake. It is a nice complex. They do fill up fast, so start looking sooner than later.

All the best!

Thanks cincyguy, you suggestions were really helpful!

Hey, does anyone know if the 2013 class is filled yet? Just kinda curious...

i heard as of monday from good sources there were 4 spots left, but maybe less now.

Has anyone heard anything about check/move in dates for the student apartments? Someone in the housing office told me we would hear more in June, but I haven't heard anything. I would call but every time I get an answering machine (I'm sure they are insanely busy).

I found this on RFUs website. It look's like we should find out this week...

"When will I receive my apartment assignment?
Student Housing will distribute assignment information 2-3 weeks before the actual move in date. "

I just wish they would give us a months notice so my rents could plan accordingly.