San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazedNDiffused

Member, and also a Client
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for all those who have been accepted to San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class of 2015.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Class of 2015! Let's use this forum as a way to get to know future classmates and possible roommates, share information about good deals, important info, and dates.

Members don't see this ad.

To that end, of the people who were already accepted and planning to attend, where are y'all planning to live?

I'm thinking about getting an apartment in the area, maybe Caguas Towers or somewhere like it, but it only makes financial sense if I can get one or two roommates who are willing to help with rent, utilities, etc.

Any takers? I can give y'all more information about the accommodations and rates as soon as I see some expressed interest.

any info or websites you have on Caguas Towers? When I interviewed all everyone talked about was Los Prados. Stoked to be your class mate. You set on SJB or you deciding between other places?

btw,
when do classes start?
when do we need to arrive in PR?
how much is the estimated cost of everything? tuition, living, books, etc
you have any info on matching and USMLE stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Congrats!!!
I recently received the email that I was accepted but I couldn't open the file so I had to call them to know if I was accepted or waitlisted - but I was accepted!!!!
Anyways, do you know when do class starts and when is orientation and all that? I want to start planning my trip :)

So classes start first monday of August from what I found out from emailing students. That being said I'm hearing that orientation is mid July and there's one student said her year (class of 2014) had to do a mandatory research class prior to the start of actual classes (she said she really enjoyed it super low key). Another student told me her class took a mandatory Spanish/English class prior to the start of classes to make sure everyone was on par with their language skills which she said was pointless. So I'm hearing that getting there in early July is a must.

If you search on facebook SJB en la comunidad there are a bunch of students in that group and I just messaged them and a bunch got back to me answering my questions. I also went onto www.trabajandoportusalud.com and there is some contact info there and some info on SJB.

Any information on how well they match anyone???????

in answer to CrazedNDiffused...Los Prados. I'm pretty set on it

Wowzers!

Congratulations, everyone!

To Imagainstthis, I think I remember the students I spoke to talking about Los Prados, but I think I'm leaning towards Caguas Towers.

At Los Prados (as far as I can tell), an apartment costs about $200K to own, and the rent is about $1,500/mo. + utilities and condominium fees. That's a little rich for my blood, even if its split three ways.

What have y'all heard about these places?:

Paseo Los Catalinas
Estancias del Rey
Parque San Antonio
Parque de Boneville (not the same as Boneville apartments)
Vista Real 2

These, according to my research, are "biking" distance through neighborhood streets to the school, except Paseo Loas Catalinas, which involves main roads.

And at least to own, they're all around $100-$120K, and eager to get an offer…

That's what I've heard, anyways. Thoughts?

Oh, and imaginetthis,

Based on what I heard from some of their students, their USMLE pass rates were a little low the first few classes. Some people said it was because of a large number of Spanish-speakers who weren't completely comfortable taking an all-English test, but the girl I talked to said its because the professors wrote their tests however they pleased, covering whatever material they found interesting, irrespective of the USMLE's requirements and subject matter.

But, the girl I talked to said when the administration found this out, they jumped right on it, and hired a consultant to help them prep their students better, and adjust their coursework and curriculum accordingly. Now, I think, professors are required to keep the USMLE in the forefront of their minds when writing their tests, and while they might not "teach the test," so to speak, they do try to create as much overlap as possible.

(She said they were also talking about funding USMLE prep courses for students, but that might've been a rumor)

Also, she did say that the people who took the USMLE a second time passed with flying colors--and that their 2nd-time pass rate approached 99%.

I don't know about their residency match rates, but the girl I talked to said that that was wholly dependent on the individual, and their USMLE, grades, etc;

Basically "If you do the work, you'll get a match. If you do the work, and go above and beyond, you'll get a GREAT match."

Sadly, SJB doesn't have residencies, at their medical center. But, they are in the process of getting their residencies approved and accredited, and it MIGHT be finished by the time we'd be matching and applying. I wouldn't put money on it, though.

Congrats to all of you! If someone has time we should create a facebook page for our class to get to know each other & it will be easier to communicate just an idea! :)

Hey Yall,
I pumped to be going to med school at SJB. I am trying to figure out how everything is done in Caguas. Is there public transportation? If not, how are people going to be getting around? Is anyone buying a car there?

I think the place I was told about during my interview was Los Prados, the brightly colored condos across from the big shopping center. I liked that area but I also didn't look anywhere else...

I am planning to get there in time for orientation in July, I am not planning to leave my current job until mid to late June.

Look forward to seeing yall this summer!

peace,

future member of 2015

Does anyone know when classes/ orientation begins

Apparently, they start first Monday in August, according to L1zz, and orientation is sometime in July methinks.

Apparently, they start first Monday in August, according to L1zz, and orientation is sometime in July methinks.

Thanks for the info!!!

I am only concerned about the transportation... I heard that the public transportation in PR is not good and that you need a car specially in your third and fourth year when you are doing your rotations. I also heard that cars in PR are more expensive than the mainland but then shipping a car from the mainland to PR is also expensive. Is anyone buying a car over there or taking one from mainland?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question about the cars.

From what I've seen, having a car is a definite bonus, as I didn't see a whole lot of public transit, at least in the Caguas area. San Juan has a modern-style metro system that serves it and some of the surrounding area, but in Caguas public transit is primarily from buses. (And I rented a car while I was there, so I couldn't tell you about the bus system).

That said, I feel like if you're willing to buy a no-frills used car (i.e. wheels, engine, stereo system and not much else), you can get a good one quite cheap. But don't hold me to that.

Hey guys congratulations!! I'm very interested in this school but with an 18 mcat and a 3.4 gpa, 3.5 sgpa will I be considered for an interview? WOULD LIKE YOUR OPINION...

SegarraDr,

Well, I don't want to put words in the Ad. Comm's mouths, but my cGPA and sGPA were only 3.24 and 2.69 respectively, so you've got me on those. But, my MCAT was also quite a bit higher: 31.

It also depends, methinks, on where you went to school, and what those grades mean.

Not that you aren't a rock star for getting those grades, mind! It's just that a 3.5 sGPA from Harvard (for example) is very different than a 3.5 sGPA from say, Boston U.

(Which is ALSO very different from an 3.5 sGPA at University Hawaii-Manoa).

That's part of the reason they use the MCAT; it's a "standardized" test that can be used to evaluate candidates from very different schools and pre-med programs.

And last I heard, the average scores for successful SJB applicants (at least last year) were something like this:

Verbal: 5 (2-8)
Physical: 6 (4-9)
Biological: 6 (4-9)

[mean (bottom 10%ile-top 10%ile)]

Grades also broke down thusly:

mean cGPA: 3.2
mean sGPA: 3.1

[Other posters, please correct me if I'm wrong]

So...yes, I believe you might be competitive. But again, don't quote me on that.

Good luck, either way!

Good question about the cars.

From what I've seen, having a car is a definite bonus, as I didn't see a whole lot of public transit, at least in the Caguas area. San Juan has a modern-style metro system that serves it and some of the surrounding area, but in Caguas public transit is primarily from buses. (And I rented a car while I was there, so I couldn't tell you about the bus system).

That said, I feel like if you're willing to buy a no-frills used car (i.e. wheels, engine, stereo system and not much else), you can get a good one quite cheap. But don't hold me to that.

CrazedNDiffused,
The car that I have in mind is a used one. Just like you mentioned, I did not see any buses either. But, I'll see if I buy one once I move to PR.

Thanks for all your helpful comments. I really appreciate them :)

You absolutely need a car or some sort of scooter/bike. There is no bus route convenient to the school. Also, considering the late hours you may want to put in, having a car will be particularly useful.

We will probably get more details in May once deposits are non-refundable.

Congrats to all of you!

Today, I received my acceptance letter/email, and I am really excited to go to SJB! :D

Thanks for all the info you guys have posted. It has definitely helped. I might be looking for roommates in the near future, but at least I have an idea where to start looking for places to live.

Has anyone created the fb page by chance?

Congrats to all, once again!

Congrats to all of you!

Today, I received my acceptance letter/email, and I am really excited to go to SJB! :D

Thanks for all the info you guys have posted. It has definitely helped. I might be looking for roommates in the near future, but at least I have an idea where to start looking for places to live.

Has anyone created the fb page by chance?

Congrats to all, once again!

Congrats on your acceptance HeLaC! if you dont mind me asking when did you have your interview? I had mine last week and I would like to have an idea of when to expect an answer from sjb. Thanks!!!

Congratulations again to everyone who was accepted

(And best of luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear!)

I just received my e-mail about housing, matriculation, and whatnot, which inspired me to go ahead and create a Facebook group for our class.

So, without further ado, the link!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_160469707342303

I'll apologize in advance, as this is my first Facebook group, so I'm not entirely sure how all to go about it. But, it's up!

So...yeah. Enjoy!

Congrats on your acceptance HeLaC! if you dont mind me asking when did you have your interview? I had mine last week and I would like to have an idea of when to expect an answer from sjb. Thanks!!!

Thank you :) I had my interview on Feb. 16, so I pretty much got an answer 3 wks latter. I wish you the best when all your info goes to the Adm. Comm. :xf:

Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research on SJB and would like to get some input from people that actually got accepted there. How much Spanish did you have to know for the interview? What were the main things you felt helped you get accepted? I was accepted to Ross Univ, but really want to attend an LCME school if at all possible. I was born and raised in California, I have no ties to Puerto Rico. My GPA is 3.3 and MCAT 22, with good research and volunteer experiences. Do I stand a chance if I am able to get up to speed with my Spanish? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Hi All,

I have been doing a lot of research on SJB and would like to get some input from people that actually got accepted there. How much Spanish did you have to know for the interview? What were the main things you felt helped you get accepted? I was accepted to Ross Univ, but really want to attend an LCME school if at all possible. I was born and raised in California, I have no ties to Puerto Rico. My GPA is 3.3 and MCAT 22, with good research and volunteer experiences. Do I stand a chance if I am able to get up to speed with my Spanish? Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Surfdr,
I think you have a change to get into SJB. My GPA is 3.6 but my was MCAT 22 and I got in! If you get an interview then it is up to you to shine in it since the interview is close-file, and they won't ask you questions about grades and MCAT, so you could use that opportunity to talk about yourself and about your research and volunteer experience. I would definitely try applying to SJB.

About the Spanish, you need to have 12 college credits in order to apply. You do not need to have special ties to PR to apply to SJB, but you do need to know Spanish, I guess that is the reason why they require 12 credits.

Did you add SJB in your AMCAS application? I think the primary application was due on December.

Best of lucks and congrats for your acceptance into Ross :)

Congratulations again to everyone who was accepted

(And best of luck to those of you who are still waiting to hear!)

I just received my e-mail about housing, matriculation, and whatnot, which inspired me to go ahead and create a Facebook group for our class.

So, without further ado, the link!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_160469707342303

I'll apologize in advance, as this is my first Facebook group, so I'm not entirely sure how all to go about it. But, it's up!

So...yeah. Enjoy!

:)

surfdr,

Like L1zz already said, you do need to be able to speak Spanish, and the better you speak/read/write, the more enjoyable your time at SJB will be.

In terms of the minimum required, however, that's a more subtle question.

For the interview, you should be comfortable speaking Spanish conversationally, as well as be able to write in it. If you scroll up a little, you'll see that most people (myself included) had to write a brief essay in their non-native language--that is to say, Spanish-speakers had to write an essay in English (to prove that they could), and English-speakers had to write an essay in Spanish (again, mostly to prove that they could).

For me, the interview itself switched freely between English and Spanish, veering (at times) to out-and-out Spanglish, depending on one's comfort level. Basically, my best advice would be to take every opportunity you had to showcase your Spanish proficiency, as much as you are able/comfortable. I think the best analogy is that its like the Writing section of the MCAT:

It won't get you accepted, but the only way it can hurt you is if you mess it up completely.

Still, I think as long as you can hold a conversation in Spanish, you'll do fine. From what I've heard, the classes themselves will be taught in either Spanish or English (depending on the individual professor's comfort level), BUT all the tests, slides, and lecture notes will be in English to simulate the USMLE.

Congratulations on getting into Ross, by the way!

(P.S. My cGPA was a 3.24, and my sGPA was a 2.69. Granted, my MCAT was a 31S, but even so, I think you'll be alright ^_^)

Hello everyone!

I also got accepted into SJB and Im very excited for the semester to begin.:) However, Im trying to get some information on SJB's USMLE pass rates and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I know at first they were a little low and they improved, but Im looking for the most recent rates. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Hello everyone!

I also got accepted into SJB and Im very excited for the semester to begin.:) However, Im trying to get some information on SJB's USMLE pass rates and I can't seem to find them anywhere. I know at first they were a little low and they improved, but Im looking for the most recent rates. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Congrats on the acceptance!! I just interviewed here 2 weeks ago and I was wondering if you could share when you had your interview and how it went so I could know when to expect and answer and what type of answer to expect! (sorry but I am so anxious it is driving me nuts! lol :bang: Also how did you hear back from SJB? email, snail mail, phone call? Thanks!!

Hello everyone. First of all, congratulations to all those who have been accepted. I am sure you will find your experience at SJB an enjoyable one, especially with the use of the brand new auditorium that just opened up (btw I'm really jealous that you guys get to use that).

Anyways, I am a third year student at SJB, and will be leaving at the end of July to do my away rotations. I am looking to sell my car and all of the stuff in my bedroom. The pictures to both can be found at the end of this post.

So I'll be real with you guys about the car. This is purely a "get me from point A to point B" car. It is a 1998 Daewoo Lanos that I only use to go to school, get groceries, and other everyday errands around Caguas. I bought it for $2400 but am selling it for only $1000. I have only put on about 2000 miles since I bought it because of its minimal use purely around the city. The total mileage on the car is around 128,000 miles.

It isn't the most attractive car, but it has served me surprisingly well for three years. It actually believe it or not has never given me serious mechanical problems; mostly just cosmetic. The driver's side window is stuck at its halfway point (which I have temporarily covered with plastic), the A/C works more like a fan, and the stereo works but not too well. The body has a bunch of scratches and a noticeable dent on the passenger rear side. I am guessing if somebody wants to fix the window and the A/C it would cost somewhere around $450 but hey I haven't had an A/C for three years and I made it. I can go into more detail with this if anybody wants, just send me a PM.

If anything, someone can use this car for temporary use during their first couple months in Caguas while they go out and look for a car more suited towards their taste. The cost of this car to buy would be cheaper than what you would pay for a rental car, plus you would recoup some of the money by selling it off as well.

You have a couple options as to how to purchase this. You can wait until you get here and if it is still available buy it then. Or you can send me a deposit right now of $350 and I will take it off all online postings and ads. It will be reserved as your car and you can pay the rest when you get here. If you go with the first option just know that the priority will obviously go to anyone who will send a deposit.

Ok as far as the apartment. I like to think I have some quality stuff in my bedroom, but you can take a look for yourself in the pictures link below (get to about halfway through the album to the room with the black rug. Included in the total package price of $350 includes a TV, TV stand, study desk, study chair, bed (which includes dresser on the bottom), mattress, rug, printer (needs cartridge though), remote controlled oscillating fan, floor lamp, 2 paintings, 2 other mirror type wall decorations, trash can, and some other things I am sure I just can't think of right now. Basically everything you need in your room. I definitely paid a lot for all that stuff but as it is used I think $350 is a great price (I think I paid that amount just for the bed alone).

As with the car, if you send me a deposit ($175) you can claim all this stuff and I will take down all the postings and ads for it. You can also pay for all of it at once if you prefer.

If anybody wants the actual bed comforter and sheets and the bathroom stuff (rugs, porcelain stuff, shower curtain and hooks) we can discuss that too I guess.

All right that's all I got for right now. I wish you all the best of luck next year!

Car Pictures: http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=27kklf6tjf2f8l1&thumb=4
and
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=8gjy9l9pf5upzoj&thumb=4

Bedroom Furnishings: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31234767@N02/show/

Last edited:
FYI this year's MATCH DAY for SJB was

87% match rate for the seniors, I am all excited for next year!!!!!!

Im in! Meow!

CONGRATS!! can you PLEASE tell me when you heard the good news and when you interviewed??? I am going crazy waiting for my news!! and also did you hear thru email as well? Thanks!!!

CONGRATS!! can you PLEASE tell me when you heard the good news and when you interviewed??? I am going crazy waiting for my news!! and also did you hear thru email as well? Thanks!!!

Feb.17, heard yesterday around 4pm, via email. I know the waiting feeling is almost as bad as the MCAT... Good Luck!

Feb.17, heard yesterday around 4pm, via email. I know the waiting feeling is almost as bad as the MCAT... Good Luck!

Thanks a lot! Yes the feeling is a lot like waiting for the mcat but a bit more agonizing! congrats once again!

Hi everyone, congratulations! I'm a first year at SJB (Class of 2014). Just thought I would add some helpful things to think about.

1. You MUST have a car here. It is challenging to get a good car here because you don't want to buy a used lemon and cars are super expensive here.

2. Los Prados is awesome to live in, but it is super expensive without roomates. Plus its unfurnished.

3. To find a car or an apartment or anything, everyone in Puerto Rico essentially uses this website. http://www.clasificadosonline.com/
You can call and email if you have an interest. Its all in spanish but you might be able to translate it with an application.

4. Our school has undergone curric adaptations over the past 4 years, so knowledge of how our 4th year class matched is relevant but not relevant (which means its more closer to irrelevant, but more individual based for that class). They weren't required to take the MCAT after second year as the class that is now in the third year were. (The third year were the first to have that requirement and they were not informed until after the second year for them ended that it would be the case, so there were multiple reasons for their Step performance). Also only half of the fourth year class decided to enter the Match. (again they did not have the same rules, they could be more chill).

5. My class as well as the second year, persuaded the school to install the NBME based exams for our clases. We are the only school in puerto rico and one of the few if only schools on the mainland where....our course exams are actual questions and format from the Step I USMLE. Every 1-2 weeks we are taking course exams that are actual board exam questions. NBME (which writes the STep exams) writes our exams, our Profs just select the questions and it is all on the computer. Its the best USMLE prep, but it also kicks our ass. But we just incorporated it. The second year class is the first to KNOW upfront that they must take and pass the USMLE Step 1, so we will see how they do. Again all of these adaptations are all new (common for many med schools to make adapatations).

6. If you want to buy used books, let me know. Message me if you have any questions. I might get back to you later because I just took an exam and have this free time vegitate but it is brief. Block 3 and Neuro starts this week. Good luck and gd bless. SJB has tremendous opportunities.

Oh, and imaginetthis,

Based on what I heard from some of their students, their USMLE pass rates were a little low the first few classes. Some people said it was because of a large number of Spanish-speakers who weren't completely comfortable taking an all-English test, but the girl I talked to said its because the professors wrote their tests however they pleased, covering whatever material they found interesting, irrespective of the USMLE's requirements and subject matter.

But, the girl I talked to said when the administration found this out, they jumped right on it, and hired a consultant to help them prep their students better, and adjust their coursework and curriculum accordingly. Now, I think, professors are required to keep the USMLE in the forefront of their minds when writing their tests, and while they might not "teach the test," so to speak, they do try to create as much overlap as possible.

(She said they were also talking about funding USMLE prep courses for students, but that might've been a rumor)

Also, she did say that the people who took the USMLE a second time passed with flying colors--and that their 2nd-time pass rate approached 99%.

I don't know about their residency match rates, but the girl I talked to said that that was wholly dependent on the individual, and their USMLE, grades, etc;

Basically "If you do the work, you'll get a match. If you do the work, and go above and beyond, you'll get a GREAT match."

Sadly, SJB doesn't have residencies, at their medical center. But, they are in the process of getting their residencies approved and accredited, and it MIGHT be finished by the time we'd be matching and applying. I wouldn't put money on it, though.

Thanks for your input Jedi Mind tricks, i know this will help new students feel reassured that Sjb is a great school and the opportunities are endless. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back! (like myself) :D

Hi,

I am married to an MS3 at SJB. I have spent loads of time exploring the island and know my way around pretty decently. If you have any practical questions or if there are any couples or families moving here, please contact me, I would love to help. We moved here and had a baby while here. so many people helped us, i would love the chance to help out folks, particularly families!

Exito!

I was wondering if anyone accepted knows the specific date when orientation begins? Also, what are the dates to anything else where attendance is mandatory over the summer, prior to the beginning of orientation (if there is anything).

Someone posted in the Facebook group that the orientation might be June 24th.

However, I've also heard mid-July, so I don't know.

Also, has anyone heard what the average USMLE Step 1 & 2 score was for SJB? I'm just curious. I know that the residency match rate was somewhere close to 86% (w00t, w00t!), but I was wondering what the average score for the tests were.

Good luck!

Oh, and FYI, this is the info I got as related by someone on the Facebook group:

June 24: Registration
June 27-30: Orientation
June 30: White Coat Ceremony
July 5-22: Classes for research
August 1: Classes officially start!!!!!

I was also told that they were still working on the Academic Calendar, but that these are the days they have.

Hope this helps!

Edit: They didn't send out a schedule yet because they're still changing things around--but these are the dates that are unlikely to be changed.

Last edited:
Oh, and before I forget:

The number they sent out on my acceptance letter is wrong. The correct number is (787) 743-4696, which is on their website.

Oh, and before I forget:

The number they sent out on my acceptance letter is wrong. The correct number is (787) 743-4696, which is on their website.

Did you receive an acceptance letter in the mail after receiving the initial acceptance email? I am still waiting for either!!!!

Last edited:
Good question.

If I recall correctly, I think they first sent me an e-mail with an attachment (which was sized wacky, so it was hard to read), and then later sent a letter in the mail.

But the first contact was most DEFINITELY by e-mail first, so be sure to check your spam filter and whatnot.

Edit: Parent income portion of FAFSA necessary to be considered for some types of student loans and financial aid. Even if you don't think you'll get anything, it couldn't hurt to ask.

Last edited:
Good question.

If I recall correctly, I think they first sent me an e-mail with an attachment (which was sized wacky, so it was hard to read), and then later sent a letter in the mail.

But the first contact was most DEFINITELY by e-mail first, so be sure to check your spam filter and whatnot.

Also, I have a question for other people about FAFSA--did you all answer the questions about your parents?

I know that it said you didn't have to, but that if you were a "health professions" applicant, you had the option of doing it anyways. Thoughts?

do you know of anyone else who has gotten accepted within the past two weeks? I called two weeks ago and they told me they were going to meet and go over applications...

@notorious725

I'm afraid I don't have any idea, one way or the other, and anything I could offer is only speculation. Still, if you're looking for reasons to hope, it IS worth noting that they haven't even agreed to a calendar yet, so who knows? I know they have a very small staff, so it could be they're just REALLY backlogged with stuff.

Granted, the few dates we DO have semi-confirmed (e.g. registration), are rapidly approaching, so it could mean anything. My best advice is, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and plan your next few steps accordingly.

-Keep calling every few days (but no more than twice a week; you don't want to annoy them), and politely ask if/when the AdCom will be meeting, or if they have a timetable for you.

-You could try the "Letter of Intent" route (i.e. send a letter through e-mail and regular mail expressing your desire to attend SJB, if you are offered admission), but there are other forums about that, and from what I've gathered, the jury's still out on whether or not that makes a difference one way or the other. Still, I don't see how it could hurt.

-Look into other things, just in case SJB doesn't pan out this year. For example, I've heard they also have or will be starting several graduate-level programs in health sciences that you might want to explore, while you consider reapplications, as do many of the other Puerto Rican medical schools, like UPR, UCC, and Ponce. There's nothing wrong with doing a year or two of MPH to build a stronger application--and if you're interested in doing research, that might actually be a plus.

(In fact, the only reason *I* didn't do that, was because I didn't have the funds for MPH tuition, and didn't want to go into more debt than was absolutely necessary).

In any event, and whatever happens, I still say good luck, mate! We're rooting for you! ^_^

\o/

@notorious725

I'm afraid I don't have any idea, one way or the other, and anything I could offer is only speculation. Still, if you're looking for reasons to hope, it IS worth noting that they haven't even agreed to a calendar yet, so who knows? I know they have a very small staff, so it could be they're just REALLY backlogged with stuff.

Granted, the few dates we DO have semi-confirmed (e.g. registration), are rapidly approaching, so it could mean anything. My best advice is, hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and plan your next few steps accordingly.

-Keep calling every few days (but no more than twice a week; you don't want to annoy them), and politely ask if/when the AdCom will be meeting, or if they have a timetable for you.

-You could try the "Letter of Intent" route (i.e. send a letter through e-mail and regular mail expressing your desire to attend SJB, if you are offered admission), but there are other forums about that, and from what I've gathered, the jury's still out on whether or not that makes a difference one way or the other. Still, I don't see how it could hurt.

-Look into other things, just in case SJB doesn't pan out this year. For example, I've heard they also have or will be starting several graduate-level programs in health sciences that you might want to explore, while you consider reapplications, as do many of the other Puerto Rican medical schools, like UPR, UCC, and Ponce. There's nothing wrong with doing a year or two of MPH to build a stronger application--and if you're interested in doing research, that might actually be a plus.

(In fact, the only reason *I* didn't do that, was because I didn't have the funds for MPH tuition, and didn't want to go into more debt than was absolutely necessary).

In any event, and whatever happens, I still say good luck, mate! We're rooting for you! ^_^

\o/

Thanks a lot for the good luck wishes! I am staying positive and as soon as I hear any news I will post it!!

Hi! I just happened to stumble upon this forum! I'm so glad I found it! Hope to see you all in July!

They told me something about a class we have to take in July but they still don't know the exact dates of anything yet. We are supposed to receive an email with the calendar for the semester which will include the orientation, class enrollment and first day of class dates.

Hope to see all of you there!

I'd read that too, but I'm not sure whether we should be concerned about it or not.

Apparently, it's just the Medical Center (not the school itself), which is independent (I think), and which has had a long-time dispute with the Puerto Rico Energy & Power Authority. At least that's what Bloomberg Businessweek says:

"San Juan Bautista Medical Center Corp., the owner of a 375-bed teaching hospital in Caguas, Puerto Rico, filed for Chapter 11 protection on March 18 in Old San Juan to stop the power company from shutting off electric service.

Disputes with Puerto Rico Energy & Power Authority date back to 2002, according to court papers. On average, 85 beds are occupied each day.

The hospital operates in conjunction with the medical school named Escuela de Medecina San Juan Bautista. The medical school isn't in bankruptcy." (emphasis added)

There's also another English-language article on it in the Carribbean Business News.

I guess the big question is: does anyone know if this will affect classes in any way? I know that clinical rotations don't start until your third or fourth year, and that you CAN do some of them at other hospitals (at least in your 4th year), but still--if worse comes to worst, and the medical center does close, will we be able to do our clinical rotations elsewhere?

I mean, I can't imagine that the gov. will let one of the few teaching hospitals on the island go under--but I guess in this era of budget cuts, one never knows for sure.

Maybe one of the current students can fill us in on what they've heard?

Hey everyone,

Congratulations on getting accepted to SJB, Im a third year medical students here and as you have probably heard you need a car on the island, you will need it, trust me! I'm selling everything because I will be doing my fourth year rotations in the states.

I'm selling my 2002 Suzuki Baleno for $4000 or best offer and the furniture for $300. I paid $500 for the furniture.

The car has 68,595 miles and is in excellent condition as you can see from the pictures below. Its a 4 cylinder engine, the tires are only 3 years old since I bought them new when I bought the car. Automatic transmission, tinted windows, A/C, Oil change and other maintenance has been kept up to date. I have only driven it for about 5000 miles since theres really no time for anything else other than studying.

The furniture was bought brand new, and as you can see from the pics they are still in brand new condition.

car pics

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?3m8jx9jng1obh1l
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?mt4dthiwemfv76r
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?bvd83zqlt05j5en
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?29t4tgbf2ycct98
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?tce8cpn7xbpwryb
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?87v3228vpku139p

and the furniture pics
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?03e2hq11voq17p7
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?1gxszbs53lnhl2s
http://www.mediafire.com/i/?6l91dji5zmdsbqq

If theres anything else you might like to know or anything i can help you with regarding the school please feel free to email me at [email protected] or message me on here.

Thank you

Last edited: