San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisB8305

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello ladies and gentleman,

This thread is for all students who were admitted and plan on attending San Juan Bautista School of Medicine for the class of 2018. It would be nice to get to know some of our fellow classmates before class starts. We can use this thread to post news about our class, SJB, housing plans for students looking for roommates or anything along the lines of that. Look forward to meeting you all and starting medical school in June.

Christian

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chris,

Do you know what we need to know for the background check by any chance? I don't want to bug the office about it but I saw in my letter that one of the things we must send is the result of our AMCAS background check. I looked on the AMCAS website to find information and found this:

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/faqs/63230/faq_background.html

SJB isn't listed as one of the schools participating in the AMCAS background check. Does that mean that we have to find a company to do a background check on us? If you knew that would be great. Thanks!

Shortly after getting my admissions letter (like a day or so), I received an Email from a background check company, I think the school sets it up. You just fill out the information and submit it online. It says it takes like 3-5 days to do the background check but its been like a week for me an I still haven't heard anything back. Hope this helps.

Christian

Shortly after getting my admissions letter (like a day or so), I received an Email from a background check company, I think the school sets it up. You just fill out the information and submit it online. It says it takes like 3-5 days to do the background check but its been like a week for me an I still haven't heard anything back. Hope this helps.

Christian

Thanks so much for your help!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post with the student doctor forum, so I am not sure exactly how this works but here it goes... I have been accepted to SJB SOM. I received notification about the AAMC background check on Friday February 14th, and then received the acceptance email on Tuesday February 18th from Jaymí. I interviewed November 22nd. I am OOS from California. I am currently trying to figure out my Financial Aid and housing situation. Is this correct forum to be asking questions about these topics specifically? I know the forum for the accepted students may have been moved somewhere else, but I am not sure where. Any help/advice would be great. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Karen

Hello ladies and gentleman,

This thread is for all students who were admitted and plan on attending San Juan Bautista School of Medicine for the class of 2018. It would be nice to get to know some of our fellow classmates before class starts. We can use this thread to post news about our class, SJB, housing plans for students looking for roommates or anything along the lines of that. Look forward to meeting you all and starting medical school in June.

Christian
Hi Christian!!! I interviewed in january 15th and I still don't have an answer....should I worry??

I dont think you should really be worried. They take a while to process applications and im not sure the order in which they review them. I interviewed back in November and was accepted in February. I know there are students who interviewed in November like me who still have not heard anything back. Not hearing anything back is not technically bad news, it just means your application has not been looked at yet. With that being said I received an email from the housing advising person with a list of places to live and the email had like more than 40 student email addresses on it. That would mean there are less than 20 seat left available.

I would say just give them a couple more mondays then give them a call if you havent heard back yet.

I dont think you should really be worried. They take a while to process applications and im not sure the order in which they review them. I interviewed back in November and was accepted in February. I know there are students who interviewed in November like me who still have not heard anything back. Not hearing anything back is not technically bad news, it just means your application has not been looked at yet. With that being said I received an email from the housing advising person with a list of places to live and the email had like more than 40 student email addresses on it. That would mean there are less than 20 seat left available.

I would say just give them a couple more mondays then give them a call if you havent heard back yet.
hey, out of curiosity was this email directed to students that have been accepted and confirmed that they will be attending SJBSOM...or to just everyone accepted (whether confirmed or not)? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
I do not know for sure. We only get 2 weeks to confirm and pay our deposit which isnt alot of time. I know one person on that list because we interviewed together and he definitely confirmed. I would think they have.

ok, yeah that makes sense, thank you for the insight

Thanks!! I called Jaymi and she told me to call her in two weeks if I dont hear from her...dont know if that's a good thing.

Im getting nervous by the minute... Less than 20 seats left. Not a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I called Jaymi and she told me to call her in two weeks if I dont hear from her...dont know if that's a good thing.

Im getting nervous by the minute... Less than 20 seats left. Not a good thing.

hey laurapumarejo, in your call did you reference Jaymi the whole less than 20 seats left thing?...and if so what was her response to that ?

I know the "20 seats thing" from Christian. I haven't asked her. The only thing I asked her was, how's the process going.

Hello everyone,

This is my first post with the student doctor forum, so I am not sure exactly how this works but here it goes... I have been accepted to SJB SOM. I received notification about the AAMC background check on Friday February 14th, and then received the acceptance email on Tuesday February 18th from Jaymí. I interviewed November 22nd. I am OOS from California. I am currently trying to figure out my Financial Aid and housing situation. Is this correct forum to be asking questions about these topics specifically? I know the forum for the accepted students may have been moved somewhere else, but I am not sure where. Any help/advice would be great. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Karen
Hey yeah this is the right forum. I made it so that people who are accepted can interact and get answers to questions about the school. There is also a Facebook page for the San Juan Bautista School of Medicine Class of 2018.

Look forward to meeting you.

Christian

The academic calendar is being revised and Mrs sanchez said we should get an updated one sometime soon. She also said that school will start sometime in late June.

Ok cool, thank you for passing on the message! Was looking at the past year's forum and noticed late June is noted as well so figured it'd be around the same time.

Congratulations guys! I am currently MS1 at SJB and I'll be more than happy to answer your questions/concerns if any. Due to time constraints, I will be brief for now but will be posting more information soon (studying for neuro). Regarding housing, it all depends on your particular situation. Jaymi will send you a "welcome package" with a list of housing available near campus, however, I don't think is helpful. So, like i said, it comes down to your specific situation/preference. For those coming with family, you will need to make arrangements before coming to the island. Caguas has only 1 hotel, the Sheraton, and is expensive. For those coming "solo" you can find roommates and stay at very nice apartment complexes. Although you will not encounter much traffic if you decide to stay in the metro area (san juan, carolina, guaynabo, etc) and drive everyday to caguas, I really recommend staying in the south Caguas area, because traffic here is NEVER predictable.
Also, MS1's will be leaving for summer research and many will be sub-renting their apartments/houses at a very low price, so you can also do that and look around for places in the meantime. Anyhow, you MUST first check clasificadosonline.com for more info. Places I recommend are Los Prados, Vista Real, Bosques San Antonio, Santa Cecilia, Turabo Clusters. I can gladly post that info during the next weeks.
You'll probably begin classes in mid-June, but will need to register around the last week of May. You can authorize one of your classmates to register on your behalf though, so you don't really have to be here until mid June. You will "start" with a professionalism course for about 4 weeks, will have your white coat ceremony at the end, then a couple of days off and then start (this time for real) with biochemistry/genetics. Be sure to have fun/know the island during that time.
De nuevo, felicidades y duerman mientras puedan, estoy a la orden. Mucho éxito.

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone. I will be attending SJB this year and I hope to meet you soon. :)

Alternate listed. Jaymi said i can get accepted off the alternate list any time between today and the first day of class. I have hope

Last edited:
Has anyone already started the process of renting an apartment in Caguas? Is it possible to find a 2BR/2BA for $600-650 in an apartment complex close to campus that has many SBJ students? What is the best way to go about this process? Maybe I would have to travel back to PR so I can get my apartment by early May. I want to have an apartment ASAP so I don't have to feel pressured going one before classes start.

Last edited:
Has anyone already started the process of renting an apartment in Caguas? Is it possible to find a 2BR/2BA for $600-650 in an apartment complex close to campus that has many SBJ students? What is the best way to go about this process? Maybe I would have to travel back to PR so I can get my apartment by early May. I want to have an apartment ASAP so I don't have to feel pressured getting one before classes start.

Temperature101, I would go on :

https://www.clasificadosonline.com/

I have looked at a few places, the site is helpful.

Hey everyone,
Did anyone receive a acceptance package? Should we be expecting one ?

Hey everyone,
Did anyone receive a acceptance package? Should we be expectin' one ?
Nope. Accepted 3 weeks ago, but not received an acceptance package yet... They, however, emailed me papers for the 'medical screenings' that we have to undergo.

Last edited:
Nope. Accepted 3 weeks ago, but not received an acceptance package yet... They, however, emailed me papers for the 'medical screenings' that we have to undergo.
I don't know what you mean by acceptance package, but in the email I received they sent like 4-5 documents. There's also a list with all required documents which they give you like 3 weeks to complete.

me don't know what ye mean by acceptance package, but in t' email me received they sent like 4-5 documents. thar's also a list wit all required documents which they give ye like 3 weeks to complete.
I was answering the previous poster's question. I guess there is no acceptance package.

Has anyone already started the process of renting an apartment in Caguas? Is it possible to find a 2BR/2BA for $600-650 in an apartment complex close to campus that has many SBJ students? What is the best way to go about this process? Maybe I would have to travel back to PR so I can get my apartment by early May. I want to have an apartment ASAP so I don't have to feel pressured going one before classes start.

Unlike in the states, here in caguas, almost all (if not all) apartment complexes are not owned by a single company. Apartments are usually sold individually and are later available for rent. This means that you have to deal directly with the owner. The advantage of this is that you can negotiate the monthly payments however, most landlords will not cover expenses such as repairs and utilities. Also, it becomes more difficult to find available units.
You can certainly find a 2BR/2BA unit near campus but it's going to be difficult. I was in your same position back then and for some reason those apartments are difficult to find or perhaps they prefer to only build either 1 or 3 BR units?? Caguas is a small city so I don't know what you mean by renting "close to campus" (i.e. walking distance?). Again, your best bet is to patiently wait for sublet options from other students for the summer and find an apartment in the meantime. I recommend this option because that way you will get to personally see apartments nearby, your monthly payment will be low for those couple of months (I've even heard of upperclass medical students paying the rent for other incoming students) and in the case of having roommates, you will get the chance to live with them and see if they are the right roommates for you.

Good luck on your studies... Enjoy your time in PR as well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I was interviewed two weeks ago and received an email indicating that I was on the alternate list. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for this group? What are my real chances here? I´ll be honest, I feel very nervous/anxious about this. Thanks in advanced.

Hello everyone! I was interviewed two weeks ago and received an email indicating that I was on the alternate list. Does anyone know the acceptance rate for this group? What are my real chances here? I´ll be honest, I feel very nervous/anxious about this. Thanks in advanced.
How long ago did you receive the email? I interviewed on March 27 and still haven't heard back. The wait is killing me.

How long ago did you receive the email? I interviewed on March 27 and still haven't heard back. The wait is killing me.

Everyone who interviewed after March 14th is likely to be a waitlist candidate. Don't feel bad though, I've already spoken to two accepted OOS state people and they both switched to different schools. I think all the IS PR people are shuffling around too. May 15th is a target date for when schools give ultimatums for candidates with multiple acceptances and they usually have a week to respond. Not surprisingly convenient because our registration day is May 22nd...

Has anyone received correspondence(s) from SJB? I got my acceptance about two months ago and the only mail (email) I have received from the school besides the acceptance letter and emails from the financial aid office is random stuff about housing... I still don't know when I have to register and the exact date classes will start. I know in the acceptance letter they said class will start in June, but they did not give an exact date.

Edit: I see that previous post about May 22nd is the registration date. But I would like to know if accepted students received correspondence from the school on other matter.

Everyone who interviewed after March 14th is likely to be a waitlist candidate. Don't feel bad though, I've already spoken to two accepted OOS state people and they both switched to different schools. I think all the IS PR people are shuffling around too. May 15th is a target date for when schools give ultimatums for candidates with multiple acceptances and they usually have a week to respond. Not surprisingly convenient because our registration day is May 22nd...
It makes sense that I might be a wait list candidate but what I'm confused about is how I haven't heard back. I interviewed over a month ago and others who interviewed much recently already received news. I guess I will keep on waiting lol.

It makes sense that I might be a wait list candidate but what I'm confused about is how I haven't heard back. I interviewed over a month ago and others who interviewed much recently already received news. I guess I will keep on waiting lol.
How do you think your interview went? The two people I interviewed with didn't prepare as well for the interview. One got on the waitlist (2nd best) only a week after I heard back and the other got no response at all (terrible interviewee). Unless you absolutely bombed the interview, I would be patient to see what happens. Are you OOS or PR? Also, did you contact Jaymi to see what was going on?

How do you think your interview went? The two people I interviewed with didn't prepare as well for the interview. One got on the waitlist (2nd best) only a week after I heard back and the other got no response at all (terrible interviewee). Unless you absolutely bombed the interview, I would be patient to see what happens. Are you OOS or PR? Also, did you contact Jaymi to see what was going on?
I thought the interview went great. I'm OOS and have called and emailed Jaymi but haven't received any news for over 3 weeks. She told me there hasn't been a decision made and would email me once she knew.