Program-Specific Info / Q's ***SAMUEL MERRITT*** Q&A session??!! REPLIES NEEDED!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MT2bNOT

MOT, OTR/L
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi prospective OT students

I am a current student at SMU and am the professional development co-chair of our student organization (SOTA). We want to answer your questions about being in OT school and anything you want to know about going to SMU for OT!

We want to answer ALL of your questions :).

Admissions? University life? Nature of the program? Professors? We'll answer those for ya :)

We will also be making a youtube video of SMU so stay tuned!

Ready... Set... Go! Ask away lol :)

Thanks!

Mel

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys let me know if you're still interested! We hope that your application process is going smoothly :D!

Members don't see this ad :)
where is this going to be held?
RIGHT HERE ONLINE AT YOUR CONVENIENCE :)!

****>>>> EVERYONE PLEASE ASK AS MANY QS AS NECESSARY RIGHT HERE FROM HERE ON OUT<<<<<****

I think coordinating a "time" will be very difficult so...

Readdddyy, set, GO :)

Woops, posted this in another forum, but this is awesome! Thanks @MT2bNOT, I would love to hear responses for other people in your class as well, that would be great! And in addition to class time, how many hours per day did you typically spend on school work? Would you say that you spent more, less, or about the same amount of time on school work as others? I have tried to go on the website, but I can't seem to see the class schedules for the fall. Do you know if it is posted yet or if I can find it somewhere?

Woops, posted this in another forum, but this is awesome! Thanks @MT2bNOT, I would love to hear responses for other people in your class as well, that would be great! And in addition to class time, how many hours per day did you typically spend on school work? Would you say that you spent more, less, or about the same amount of time on school work as others? I have tried to go on the website, but I can't seem to see the class schedules for the fall. Do you know if it is posted yet or if I can find it somewhere?
Have you gotten into the program already? If so congratulations! On average we spend about six hours in class on full days in on half days we spent about 3 to 4, and after you get out of class if you do all of the reading there's additional two hours of work after that so it's for sure full-time job.

Thank you @MT2bNOT! I have already been accepted and am enrolled for the fall! Can you tell me a bit about Level 1 Fieldwork please? It says online that it is 120 hours of fieldwork, which is equal to about 3 weeks full time. Are you in any classes during the summer while doing the Fieldwork? Once you have completed your 120 hours, are you able to just have the rest of the summer time off? I love to travel and I want to know if that would be possible during the summer between the first and the second year. Thanks!

I am a current student at SMU and am the professional development co-chair of our student organization (SOTA). We want to answer your questions about being in OT school and anything you want to know about going to SMU for OT!

Admissions? University life? Nature of the program? Professors? We'll answer those for ya :)

Thanks!

Mel

Hi Mel!

How many days was your orientation? Was it an entire week, or only a few days? Thanks!

Hi! I was wondering if this forum is still looked at and if anyone could give tips about SMU's interview

@MT2bNOT Hi Mel!

Thank you for doing this forum, it is super helpful!

I was wondering if you knew how far into the waitlist they went for your class.

Thanks!

@MT2bNOT

Hi Mel! Thank you for the forum. I am a prospective student taking prerequisite courses at Berkeley. I am currently looking for some volunteering opportunities at an OT setting. Could you recommend a few places or people to contact? Thank you!

Thanks!

Mel
Hi!
I know things have changed since the SM program is now a Dot however I was hoping that you could give me some pointers on the interview process. I have an interview for the fall 2017 cohort and I want to be as "ready" as I can be. I was also wondering how you felt about the program. It looks like now with the extra 3rd year, the tuition for SM has gotten really pricey. Tuition alone is looking like 125K+ for all three years. Plus living in the area isn't cheap. I just wanted to know how you felt about the professors, the other students, the coursework. Were the professors helpful? were they able to provide 1:1 meetings and mentorship? were the students in the program friendly? or did you find it to be a more competitive vibe. I know a few graduates of the MOT program at SM and they have all had positive things to say...with the exception of tuition being very expensive and their current entry level jobs aren't lucrative enough to pay off student loans.
what are your thoughts on the matter?
Also, Were you able to find full time work with benefits? I've heard that its more common to do per diem jobs...that pay more per hour but offer no benefits. Just curious to see what you think/what your experiences have been!
Thanks!! :)