Sample personal statements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shava9865

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find sample personal statements (strictly podiatry)? I'm having trouble with the 500 word limit and would like to get an idea of what sort of things I should talk about. My PS is already at one page, which is 2x the length it should be. Please help...

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting, is it possible to use a regular medical ps? (if you are applying to all schools)

Does anyone know where I can find sample personal statements (strictly podiatry)? I'm having trouble with the 500 word limit and would like to get an idea of what sort of things I should talk about. My PS is already at one page, which is 2x the length it should be. Please help...
If you don't mind, you can pm me your personal statement. I will help you edit it to the 500 word limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting, is it possible to use a regular medical ps? (if you are applying to all schools)

no. the length is much shorter for pod. 500 words is tough. Also, I would think it is in your best interest to include "why podiatry."

My advice is to have lots of people read it and offer suggestions. If you are around 1000 words, I would imagine it would take 5 or 6 rewrites. Cut it by 100 words each time. Condense sentences, reword phrases, cut out stuff that is unnecessary. Remember, it is not that hard to get the interview, you can explain a lot more during the interview. Also, there is a 250 limit (if i recall correctly) where you list accomplishments and other crap. I used that space as a kind of supplement to my personal statement. I also think you may want to approach your essay differently based on which schools you apply to. AzPod, if I recall correctly, had my statement but not my stats in front of them, so there might be some added importance to the PS. DMU and Scholl had open file. If you are a strong candidate, I think the PS might matter less at open file interviews.

crap. did I just positively contribute to these forums? I have gotten used to being a jerk and mocking others. Maybe I am turning over a new leaf....something I need to contemplate..

crap. did I just positively contribute to these forums? I have gotten used to being a jerk and mocking others. Maybe I am turning over a new leaf....something I need to contemplate..
Dr. Cox! :D

If you don't mind, you can pm me your personal statement. I will help you edit it to the 500 word limit.

No, I don't mind...I will pm it to you by tomorrow. I'm trying to get it down to like 600 and see where it goes from there. Thanks for offering to look at it. I'm feeling as though it's not really personal because I'm just answering (not very creatively, either) why I want to be a DPM.

go to the bookstore and flip through Princeton Reviews 168 medical school essays. i would not recommend buying it unless you have money to blow, but I found it helpful to at least put some ideas in my head as to how to personalize the essay.

Airbud! I'm glad to see that you are contemplating over your actions :D (it's something we all need to do).

Anyway, reading sample PSs is a very good thing to do. I read many before composing my medicine and pharmacy statements.

Personal statements are actually quite fun. :thumbup:

darklord im astounded that you and mathlegend are already thinking about APPLYING! and here I was thinking I was doing it fast by not taking a year off after a 4 year undergrad!

darklord im astounded that you and mathlegend are already thinking about APPLYING! and here I was thinking I was doing it fast by not taking a year off after a 4 year undergrad!
xD I'm figuring out if i can just spend a year at a 4 year university. If not, I'll spend 2 :)

Is there anyone who has been accepted that feels comfortable sharing their personal statement? I have written 2 different versions of a PS and have glanced at several books displaying essays of accepted students. My only problem with this is that it's hard to find a podiatric related PS...this is much more distinct. I'm just trying to get an overall impression on how specific my PS should be given the 500 word limit. Please PM me if you feel comfortable sharing your PS with me?

Remember, I'm already in a 6 year pharmacy program and I don't want to be an old fart by the time I become a professional. The earlier, the better. :)

Ain't that right Mathlegend? :thumbup:

Is there anyone who has been accepted that feels comfortable sharing their personal statement? I have written 2 different versions of a PS and have glanced at several books displaying essays of accepted students. My only problem with this is that it's hard to find a podiatric related PS...this is much more distinct. I'm just trying to get an overall impression on how specific my PS should be given the 500 word limit. Please PM me if you feel comfortable sharing your PS with me?

Sorry, Shava I haven't written a podiatry statement (yet, lol).

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks. :)

Last edited:
this is probably a a dumb question, but I don't know so I'll ask anyways.
For your P.S. in regards to pod schools. I know 500 words isn't much, but could you write several personalized to each school- or do you just write a generic one about the profession in general. Also, do you submit your p.s. online like your app. or do most people mail them to each school?

thanks. :)

This is a centralized application service, so you submit your essay along with the rest of your application and it is forwarded to your designated schools thereafter. As far as I know pod schools don't require secondary essays.

Sure if you don't mind...you can pm it to me...I have already submitted my application, but I wouldn't mind taking a look.

Sorry I was late, finishing up my last finals as an undergrad lol Below is the personal statement.... i tried to stand out and be unique as much as I can ...
>

Ever since I could remember I have always been immersed in an environment of scientific inquiry. Flashing back to when my mom used to tuck me into bed, fascinating me with stories of how the human body works, to my uncle, a veterinarian, discussing with me at family holidays how he treats his patients with various medicines and alternative therapies. To say that Bill Nye The Science Guy was a television staple at home would be an understatement. Thus, from a young age, these events and others facilitated my fascination with biomedical science.

As I continued to grow I enjoyed watching various surgeries preformed on television and quickly cultivated a passion for surgery. It fascinated me how one can remedy an error in the body immediately and directly, observing the results as fast. I admired those surgeons working fastidiously against the pressure and tension in the operating room, the beeping of the electrocardiogram, and the beat of their heart; it became evident to me that this challenge is what I would enjoy and take pride in doing.

The high school and college years were indeed for me, “ the best of times, the worst of times…”. Although I knew that I wanted to be a doctor, I was uncertain about the field of medicine that I wanted to specialize. This cloud of confusion cleared up fortunately, when I attended NYCPM’s open house and heard profound words from Dr. Steven Goldman as he spoke about podiatry and it’s many fields.

I immediately took interest in foot and ankle surgery. To explore this field I shadowed podiatric surgeon Dr. Andrew Glass in Manhattan, NY, through the NYCPM mentoring program. Dr. Glass exposed me to aspects of the field, as I shadowed him through preoperative care, an operation, and postoperative care. He showed me how to take and read X-rays and MRIs. He also took the time to explain crucial surgical tools and anesthetics.

Dr. Glass pointed out the correlation between the health of the foot and the overall health of an individual. As he put it, “ a healthy body depends on healthy feet”, for example Diabetic Limb Salvaging is used to increase years that a patient can live. He also emphasized that in podiatry patients come out feeling relieved post operation and thank him. This I witnessed first hand and it filled me with contentment to see the patient relieved after her toe-shortening surgery.

Thus, after shadowing Dr. Glass, foot and ankle surgery became my interest, fulfilling that surgical passion that drives me. The immediate, relieving smile a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine delivers to his patients appealed to me greatly. Ultimately, the satisfaction of knowing that you can truly make a difference in the livelihood of the patients and the challenges that surgery provides will forever be my driving force.

Sorry I was late, finishing up my last finals as an undergrad lol Below is the personal statement.... i tried to stand out and be unique as much as I can ...

Nice P.S.!!!!!
Well-written, very articulate, EPIC! :thumbup:

How long did you work on it (I know everyone is different, but I want to get an idea)?

thank you!! .. Umm honestly a few days which included , witing it down and revising. I took this part serious but in my opinion it doesnt seem to weigh much in the admissions process.. none of the interviewers refered to it or anything.

Last edited:
nobody said anything about mine, and it was probably 17 times better than godfathers. i think schools like AZPOD that have closed file interviews might care. if you have good stats at an open file school, you probably would have to write that you like to punch babies to have your personal statement have any effect on your application

:)

Last edited:
lol. pro-life ftw!

And did you post your ps? I'd like to see it too, just to get an idea.
Also, from what I'm understanding (in general) the entire interview is really just a formality- basically just to make sure you aren't some psychopath (no offense to my ex-gf)

500 words isn't much. I was wondering how personal I should go. I could talk about a lot of stuff- I have a messed up and crazy life. I could spend 5000 words just talking about the challenges I've overcome and how I know they have made me a better person and given me the ability to better understand others, etc. etc. etc.

For example...my biggest challenge was overcoming/coming to terms with my father who physically and mentally abused me most of my life. I consider this my most important accomplishment in my life. But I don't want to freak out admissions.
- do you think its okay to bring up high school related events?
- do you think it would be okay to use quotes over 40 words? (I don't want them to think I'm using them as "filler"
- I feel very dumb asking this one...but is it okay to talk about religion/spirituality/faith?
- and in formal documents/statements do you think its always best for the writing to flow chronologically?

Um ok ... Check this out ... I don't know how old you are and if by the time you apply admission to pod school will be competitive or not... but for now take for example a friend of mine that used this profession as a back up and didnt care much about the app ... in the personal statement space in the online application he wrote 2 sentences. ( how he likes podiatry cuz of its surgically focused and how he could help people). He got in everywhere he applied.