Advice for personal statement for podiatry school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod213412

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am planning on applying to podiatry school the coming cycle and am struggling to write a personal statement. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to include or if anyone was willing to let me read theirs to get an idea I'd really appreciate it:). Currently I have a personal statement for med school but I'm not sure how much of it I need to change for podiatry school so any help would be appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

It'd be fairly similar to your med school one but hopefully you've shadowed and researched enough about podiatry to tailor parts of it towards that. You don't need a crazy sob story or life event to want podiatry over md/do but there has to be something.

Tell why do you want to be a podiatrist. My shadowing experience was a big part of the personal statement

Members don't see this ad :)
Articulate why after spending time shadowing a podiatrist you decided that feet were the way to go. You're going to get asked if you applied to MD/DO school and why you ultimately decided to do a DPM during interviews so just take the time to reflect on it beforehand. And please, have someone spot check it for spelling and grammatical errors.

Hi everyone. I am planning on applying to podiatry school the coming cycle and am struggling to write a personal statement. I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to include or if anyone was willing to let me read theirs to get an idea I'd really appreciate it:). Currently I have a personal statement for med school but I'm not sure how much of it I need to change for podiatry school so any help would be appreciated :)

Be honest about your experiences and make sure it's PODIATRY-SPECIFIC. I am a student interviewer and I'll tell you now that I have read way too many personal statements that barely touched on podiatry and therefore, it made me feel like they were not that interested in the program initially.

It really doesn't matter of how you got into podiatry but SHOW me your interest about it.

Feel free to PM it to me for a glance. But I agree with others, the 'why' part of choosing this field is very important. GL!

Hi! I'm applying this upcoming cycle, and I wrote about being an MA for a podiatrist. PM if you need help brainstorming!

As a pre-podiatry student you should really try to get some shadowing hours with a podiatrist. It allows you to talk more about the field of podiatry in your personal statement. The one thing to stray away from when writing a personal statement is following a template and/or "just hitting the boxes for what makes a good medical student." What made mine stand out is that it's personal! I recommmend starting with a short story to capture the attention of the reader in the first paragraph.

Reactions: 1 users