safety an issue for med school students in israel??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rerock

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have studeid hebrew, and am very interestd in applying outside the US for medical school in israel. My parents, however, whom i am very close with, have voiced their concern for my safety living in israel, given the state of conditions in the country.

for anyone who goes to school there, has this been a concern? do you feel safe? have there been issues of safety, or have there been medical students who have been victims of the violence?

I would really appreciate any input, or anyone's experience. I would like to apply, but want to respect my parents, and perhaps enlighten them to the experience others have had in regards to safety.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

rerock said:
I have studeid hebrew, and am very interestd in applying outside the US for medical school in israel. My parents, however, whom i am very close with, have voiced their concern for my safety living in israel, given the state of conditions in the country.

for anyone who goes to school there, has this been a concern? do you feel safe? have there been issues of safety, or have there been medical students who have been victims of the violence?

I would really appreciate any input, or anyone's experience. I would like to apply, but want to respect my parents, and perhaps enlighten them to the experience others have had in regards to safety.

Thanks

Of course there are risks. On the other hand Israel is a wonderful experience.
Do what you feel in your heart. It is your life, and your parents need to respect that!

you are safer in israel anyday as long as you stay away from border regions then hanging out in the day in most big cities in the USA OR EUROPE OR africa.

i travel there 4-5 times a year since 1981 never got mugged but have made many friends as opposed to the subways of nyc,was dc and boston. Wheb I am in Israel i jog from ramat aviv to herzliyya at night never had a problema.

This is one of the last places in the world-israel where a women will pick me up when I hitchhike for a ride-try doing this in the USA

Members don't see this ad :)
I've lost a couple of fingers from bomb explosions, and my personality is changing from the bullet that went thru my frontal lobe...but I'd generally say things are pretty quiet here. 'Course, that may be from my ruptured eardrums.

Kidding, obviously. I've been here for 3 years with my family. Statistically, if you want to live dangerously, just drive around the US. If you REALLY hate yourself, drive specifically through a place like Baltimore or Compton. You're more likely to die on an American highway (anywere in the US) than you are to die in Israel from both terrorism and highway driving combined. While here, I have never been afraid for my safety except in my forays into E. Jerusalem at night....and I was scared of thugs, not terrorists.

Sometimes I hate what the media can do to perceptions.

secretwave101 said:
I've lost a couple of fingers from bomb explosions, and my personality is changing from the bullet that went thru my frontal lobe...but I'd generally say things are pretty quiet here. 'Course, that may be from my ruptured eardrums.

Kidding, obviously. I've been here for 3 years with my family. Statistically, if you want to live dangerously, just drive around the US. If you REALLY hate yourself, drive specifically through a place like Baltimore or Compton. You're more likely to die on an American highway (anywere in the US) than you are to die in Israel from both terrorism and highway driving combined. While here, I have never been afraid for my safety except in my forays into E. Jerusalem at night....and I was scared of thugs, not terrorists.

Sometimes I hate what the media can do to perceptions.

Just out of curiosity - I know that Israeli citizens occasionally arm themselves (legally), is that option available to students?

flighterdoc said:
Just out of curiosity - I know that Israeli citizens occasionally arm themselves (legally), is that option available to students?

Only Israeli Students who have a real reason (ambulance driver, lives in west-bank etc..) Even then its hard to get one.
As an american student it is impossible to get a license.
The logic is that it is more likely that the gun would cause accidental harm than actually save a life.

much agreed...israel is not a safe place...though that does not mean that u are in danger....go for it!

tzalli said:
Only Israeli Students who have a real reason (ambulance driver, lives in west-bank etc..) Even then its hard to get one.
As an american student it is impossible to get a license.
The logic is that it is more likely that the gun would cause accidental harm than actually save a life.

Hah. With logic like that, I know why you can't rent a car.

I can fly an airplane (including an F4), drive a tank (M1), AND shoot the guns on them. I am also licensed to carry in the US - so what would the problem be in Israel?
:laugh:

going to sackler is safer then going to medschool in inner cities in the usa,take the subway at midnight alone in nyc or chicago vs the bus home from sackler?

If you want a pistol permit go speak to the dean -a gun is a tool just like a scapel if you can cut you can shoot if you are trained

Saudi Arabia announced they will allow foreigners to carry pistols-but i dont
think there is any safety there. its the next iran

flighterdoc said:
Hah. With logic like that, I know why you can't rent a car.

I can fly an airplane (including an F4), drive a tank (M1), AND shoot the guns on them. I am also licensed to carry in the US - so what would the problem be in Israel?

The problem is that every other person has military experience. If you were to grant a license to everyone you would have so many angles of fire when shooting at a terrorist that anyone in the vicinity might be in danger from stray bullets. Sadly this has happened on more than one occasion.
flighterdoc, you may be really unique in the states but Israel is different.

Danala55 said:
much agreed...israel is not a safe place...though that does not mean that u are in danger....go for it!

if you dont live in alpine or franklin lakes jersey is not a safe place

Dr.Wolkower said:
why?is it discrimination?

I guess I should change my quote since I turned 25 a few weeks ago.

Israel is probably safer than the US, in general terms. I just got back and felt completely secure at all times.

Anyone with an interest in Israel schools should PM me. I go to school in the states, but have great information and can hook you up with some incredible resources.