Sackler/BGU: What do you wish you had learned before arriving?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonathani1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sackler and BGU 1st/2nd years:

If you could have come to med school a little better prepared, what do you wished you had studied up on? Would it help to read through some of the first year text books before arriving?

Members don't see this ad.

Sackler and BGU 1st/2nd years:

If you could have come to med school a little better prepared, what do you wished you had studied up on? Would it help to read through some of the first year text books before arriving?

Answers to question 1 & 2: NOTHING! & NO! respectively

Don't waste your second to last summer on studying information that you will not even know the emphasis on.

If you truly feel the need to stress yourself out, go buy First Aid and start reading. You'll soon realize how little you know (outside of biochem) and how much you will need to learn within two years in order to do well on Step 1.

unless the book you pick up is 'lonely planet: israel'...dont bother reading anything school related before coming...you'll do enough reading once youre in school

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I have a friend who is battling at Anatomy and Phys here in the states, and I was wondering whether it would be worth my while brushing up on it before arriving (I've never taken an anatomy class)?

Also, is it worth arriving in Israel early and taking an intensive ulpan before class starts? My Hebrew is low->intermediate.

Thanks for the replies. I have a friend who is battling at Anatomy and Phys here in the states, and I was wondering whether it would be worth my while brushing up on it before arriving (I've never taken an anatomy class)?

Also, is it worth arriving in Israel early and taking an intensive ulpan before class starts? My Hebrew is low->intermediate.

Seeing as how anatomy does not start until second year, you would forget it before it was useful. Just relax. Visit friends. Have a glass of wine. Go camping. Everything takes care of itself. The only way you can make medical school easier is to have gone to medical school before. Anything else is just pissing in the wind....

Really, you'll be fine. Just enjoy your family and friends, that's what I wish I had brought...a few more memories...

I TOTALLY agree that all you should be reading is Lonely Planet Israel. But I would add that you should always have a beer in your other hand. Dont let the neuroticism that we all develop in med school hit you too early. You will learn everything that you need to know here. You are really not expected to know much coming in...

Now that may be something that is worthwhile, although you wont need hebrew to function at school. Rather you will need hebrew to function better in regards to everyday life of living in Israel. Personally, my hebrew knowledge is nonexistent (as i only use it to order food or to explain how to get home in a cab). Being fluent in hebrew will dramatically add to your experience in some of your clerkships as well as living in Israel. Learning hebrew while you are in med school is unrealistic.

Lonely planet Israel is a good start. Try a few comic books and the pizza hut menu. Anything more advanced is bound to be wasted energy.