Sackler 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all -

I am currently a post-bacc student. I will be graduating from the program in May and was wondering if it is too late to still apply to Sackler for this cycle at that point. I plan to take the MCAT this month. The reason I ask is because it would be great to skip the lag year. Anybody follow the same path? Any insight would be much appreciated -

Thanks!
I wouldn't recommend it. I'd imagine the class would be essentially full by May (it's a small class: 60-70 people). If you take the MCAT this month, you won't get your score until May.

Sure their deadline is technically June, but they've already started accepting students from people who have interviewed since January through now. Concentrate on your MCAT and good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend it. I'd imagine the class would be essentially full by May (it's a small class: 60-70 people). If you take the MCAT this month, you won't get your score until May.

Sure their deadline is technically June, but they've already started accepting students from people who have interviewed since January through now. Concentrate on your MCAT and good luck.

Guinea... that is somewhat inaccurate. It is a common practice of Sackler to keep spots open through May/June to make sure that they don't miss out on a top-candidate who applies late (for whatever reason). I applied mid-to-late May and was accepted about 2 weeks later.

Absolutely apply and don't waste a lag year. Unless, you do something really cool during a lag year.

Guinea... that is somewhat inaccurate. It is a common practice of Sackler to keep spots open through May/June to make sure that they don't miss out on a top-candidate who applies late (for whatever reason). I applied mid-to-late May and was accepted about 2 weeks later.

Absolutely apply and don't waste a lag year. Unless, you do something really cool during a lag year.
Oh I see... I was figuring they would be similar to US rolling admissions, but apparently they work much faster. People who apply on the stated deadline (usually Jan 15) for US schools generally don't get in, even with above average stats, because there's just not enough time for the review and interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey to all who already got in..would you mind posting your MCAT, GPA's and undergraduate school. I got a 25 on the MCAT and have a 3.6 at the University of Miami with a lot of research work. Does anyone think that I have a good chance?
34 MCAT, 3.2 GPA. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey to all who already got in..would you mind posting your MCAT, GPA's and undergraduate school. I got a 25 on the MCAT and have a 3.6 at the University of Miami with a lot of research work. Does anyone think that I have a good chance?

34, 3.6, University of Washington. Volunteer and research experience. Hope that helps!

3.3gpa 32mcat NYU. Good luck!

First off, congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to everyone that is still waiting/applying.

I am posting because I found this thread really helpful, and want to return the favor.

I have a 3.6, 30, and went to Univ. of GA.

I applied about 3 weeks ago, interviewed 2 weeks ago, and I was accepted last Friday.

Hag Sameach

3.7 GPA from NYU, 29Q MCATS, tons of volunteer/work and 2 yrs research.

Hey Monty when did u graduate NYU?

Anyone have the Sackler match list for 2009?

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my application in January, but my last LOR didn't get there until last week. Call the office or shoot them an e-mail, they might be missing part of your application.

Hey all..just to let you know I sent in my stuff around Novemeber but called them the other day and it turns out they had not recieved a few things! So I overnighted them and just got my interview via email!

So does anyone know what percent interviewed are accepted? I cant even find how many apply each year...

Hey all,

I decided to start a google group for all of SOM 2013 students. It will be a good place to exchange information, meet fellow students, ask questions and share thoughts prior to departure to Israel.

The address is: http://groups.google.com/group/sackler2013

Just send me your email address and I will add you to the group!

just a heads up. this has been done for you already by the wellbeing committee (currently run by class of 2012) you should be getting a letter from the orientation girls sometime after your acceptance :)

Hey all..just to let you know I sent in my stuff around Novemeber but called them the other day and it turns out they had not recieved a few things! So I overnighted them and just got my interview via email!

So does anyone know what percent interviewed are accepted? I cant even find how many apply each year...

ya. sackler doesnt publish those things.

30P, 3.57 overall GPA, 3.22 science GPA, Barnard College, got my acceptance yesterday, interviewed in late January ~ I don't know if I want to go or stay in the US, keep my research job and apply again in 2 years to US schools.

Anyone in a similar situation?

Hi there,

I've been accepted to the Sackler school of 2013, and am overjoyed. My question is that I've also been accepted at a few stateside schools, many of which also have an excellent program. My husband and I are starting to make the difficult decision on where to matriculate. The draw of living in Israel is very strong, but I want to be careful about doing what is best for my career. Neither of us speaks Hebrew, I am interested in neurology, and both of us are impressed by the teaching faculty at Sackler, but maybe a little nervous about the rumored deficits in hands-on care experience. Is anyone else facing a similar decision? Any advice? Any significant others on the list planning to join their med student partner in this journey?

Rebecca

PS undergraduate GPA 3.4
Graduate GPA 3.8
MCAT 32 S

Hi there,

I've been accepted to the Sackler school of 2013, and am overjoyed. My question is that I've also been accepted at a few stateside schools, many of which also have an excellent program. My husband and I are starting to make the difficult decision on where to matriculate. The draw of living in Israel is very strong, but I want to be careful about doing what is best for my career. Neither of us speaks Hebrew, I am interested in neurology, and both of us are impressed by the teaching faculty at Sackler, but maybe a little nervous about the rumored deficits in hands-on care experience. Is anyone else facing a similar decision? Any advice? Any significant others on the list planning to join their med student partner in this journey?

Rebecca

PS undergraduate GPA 3.4
Graduate GPA 3.8
MCAT 32 S

not really sure where that rumor started. the best part of sackler is the experience you get in the hospitals. people who start out hating sackler end up thinking differently after coming to do their electives in the states (4th year)

not really sure where that rumor started. the best part of sackler is the experience you get in the hospitals. people who start out hating sackler end up thinking differently after coming to do their electives in the states (4th year)
What are some of the reasons why people would hate Sackler in the first two years? Thanks!

Wow, having been through the process, I can't imagine going to a foreign school when an American school is offering you a position in their class. Especially if you have a specialty in mind other than primary care, getting the right residency is so much harder coming from a foreign school vs US

just a heads up. this has been done for you already by the wellbeing committee (currently run by class of 2012) you should be getting a letter from the orientation girls sometime after your acceptance :)

funny how the orientation girls includes two "girls" with male anatomy. Thanks Wisco. Love the compliments you dole out.

yes, sacklers are considered FMGs, except in New york. The school does have a fantastic reputation, and the clinical years are top notch.

But before you count it out based on applying for residencies as an FMG, check out the match lists. They are more inspiring than i expected...seeing a neurosurgery match at Brown, Internal Med at Yale, UChicago General Surgery, UFlorida Anesthesiology, Peds, Ortho Surgery, and all others are represented.

Obviously its in another country - not for everyone. But the school has an excellent repuation in the US. In fact, i just learned that one of my neighbors is a neuroradiologist from the class of 97. Thought that was pretty cool, until i learned that another of my neighbors was an orthopedic surgeon from the class of 94... And they dont live in New York. Kind of cool, i guess...

As i said, though, its not for everyone. But the people here are definitely worthy students.

Last edited:
I know accepted students are going to get specific info from the school soon, but can someone with knowledge of last year (or previous years) comment on generally when the group flight may be and what the time frame is between the flight and the beginning of classes? Congrats to all those accepted and good luck to those still waiting!

I believe the group flight is August 20th, and classes start September 6th. The two weeks in between are orientation weeks, including everything from getting to know your classmates to exploring Tel Aviv and Ramat Aviv to finding a place to live. Several people arrived in Israel well after the group flight last year and were fine, but I personally enjoyed the full two weeks of getting to know my classmates and my surroundings before classes started.

I think you mean orientation people (1 girl, 2 guys). :cool:

How does Sackler financial aid work? Should I start filling out the FAFSA? The acceptance letter is amazingly uninformative. :oops:

In terms of aid, are there any grants offered at all? or is it all loans?

funny how the orientation girls includes two "girls" with male anatomy. Thanks Wisco. Love the compliments you dole out.

well for some reason i thought that 2 girls volunteered for the difficult task. my bad :p

Just found out I got in! really stoked... Thin envelope eh? Scared me for a minute. :scared:

Now, DO or Sackler? that is the question. I'm kind of interested (for now) in surgery.

Just found out I got in! really stoked... Thin envelope eh? Scared me for a minute. :scared:

Now, DO or Sackler? that is the question. I'm kind of interested (for now) in surgery.

This is a tough question. I personally felt like I really wanted the MD, mostly just because thats what is still the dominant degree. DO is fine and they get some of the same residencies even though something like surgery isn't very DO related in my limited knowledge. Sackler gives great clinical experience so with something like surgery you'll get a lot more hands on. I'm obviously somewhat biased but go for Sackler.

I believe the group flight is August 20th, and classes start September 6th. The two weeks in between are orientation weeks, including everything from getting to know your classmates to exploring Tel Aviv and Ramat Aviv to finding a place to live. Several people arrived in Israel well after the group flight last year and were fine, but I personally enjoyed the full two weeks of getting to know my classmates and my surroundings before classes started.

How is second year going gtdoc? Any advice for first year?

This is a tough question. I personally felt like I really wanted the MD, mostly just because thats what is still the dominant degree. DO is fine and they get some of the same residencies even though something like surgery isn't very DO related in my limited knowledge. Sackler gives great clinical experience so with something like surgery you'll get a lot more hands on. I'm obviously somewhat biased but go for Sackler.
Sounds good. :thumbup: It's pretty much what I feel too, just a little bit worried about residency placement (I keep seeing this equation "US MD > US DO >> FMG" and it scares me a little even though I know FMG status is pretty broad). Are you going to be in the 2013 class too? I think I read somewhere that there is an official Google group that we can join?

Dude, fmg vs do is really a matter of opinion. For surgery, I'd say sackler. Just personal opinion though. I've heard of dos getting into plastics, but I've also heard of plenty of FMGS in other surgical specialties. As a Patient I'd rather be seen by an md...
On an unrelated note, I have my interview tomorrow and I'm really nervous. Talk me down man, talk me down
Sorry this post is choppy I'm on my iPhone

Womp...do you mind me asking what your stats were?

Dude, fmg vs do is really a matter of opinion. For surgery, I'd say sackler. Just personal opinion though. I've heard of dos getting into plastics, but I've also heard of plenty of FMGS in other surgical specialties. As a Patient I'd rather be seen by an md...
On an unrelated note, I have my interview tomorrow and I'm really nervous. Talk me down man, talk me down

As mentioned previously, there was a Sackler graduate who recently (not sure exactly which year) matched at Brown for Neurosurgery. That's a pretty big deal. It's true Sackler students are technically FMGs but Sackler actually has a good reputation in many places. It's mostly in New York but even my interviewer told me that there are more Sackler grads and people who know Sackler even on the West coast like in California.

Oh and don't worry about the interview! It's the most relaxed med school interview you'll ever have. They just want to get to know you.

DO vs Sackler would not even be a question for me. Sackler all the way. It's a very personal decision which depends on a lot of things though. I'm Canadian so an MD is important for me. DO is essentially unknown in Canada so if I plan to practice there an MD is important.

It's not fair to compare Sackler to any other international school. The quality of the students, the reputation, and the connections to residency program directors are very solid from what I've heard.

37R mcat, 3.6 gpa, WashU undergrad.
Sackler for sure.
There are only three schools in the US that I applied to that I would rather go to, and they all waitlisted me.

Yea, I lived in Jerusalem for a spell and am in Nes Ziona atm. So if anybody is here, hit me up. 054.994.7803.

Good luck guys.

Hey everyone, just got my acceptance letter. I'm just wondering if any of you are graduating college this May. I feel like almost everyone in the class of 2013 is, well, older, well into their mid-late 20s. As I'm making my decision I would just like to know if there will be anyone around my age. I'm a senior by the way.

37R mcat, 3.6 gpa, WashU undergrad.
Sackler for sure.
There are only three schools in the US that I applied to that I would rather go to, and they all waitlisted me.

Yea, I lived in Jerusalem for a spell and am in Nes Ziona atm. So if anybody is here, hit me up. 054.994.7803.

Good luck guys.

hey man, i am here now, but leaving for a month. i'll be back at the end of may. i would love to get together so ill give you a call in a few weeks (if I remember).

hi everyone. i just got my acceptance today to Sackler. i am waiting on one school in the states before making the ultimate decision. i traveled all around israel this past december and loved it. i am graduating in a week from UF. does anyone know approximately how big the class size is each year?

hi everyone. i just got my acceptance today to Sackler. i am waiting on one school in the states before making the ultimate decision. i traveled all around israel this past december and loved it. i am graduating in a week from UF. does anyone know approximately how big the class size is each year?

my interviewer said that they like to aim for 60-80 students, with most classes ending up being ~70 students. Also, when did you interview? I interviewed about 3 weeks ago but still no decision :(

How is second year going gtdoc? Any advice for first year?

I'm actually still a first year, but this year is going really well... I love it here and school is a lot of fun, even if it is also a LOT of work. My only advice would be to enjoy your summer and the relaxation that comes with it while you can. That, and eat a lot of Mexican food before you come... I miss my Tex Mex. In terms of school, you'll be fine... it's hard, but definitely doable.

I think I read somewhere that there is an official Google group that we can join?

There is an official google group for the class of 2013. You should be getting instructions on how to access it in the next few weeks as soon as the NY office sends the info packet out. Congrats to everyone who got in, can't wait to meet you all in a few months!

i interviewed mid february... so it actually took two months for the acceptance. wow only 70 in the class? interesting... that seems smaller than most US classes right?