Ross University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snakhjo

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What degree of difficulty will I have in getting a general surgery residency or orthpedic residency if I attend Ross? Will I have a better chance at an osteopathic school?

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances for an orthopedic residency in the US as a Ross graduate, or any offshore graduate for that matter, are practically zero. Ortho residencies, for the most part, have their pick of the top students at each US allopathic medical school and have traditionally turned their noses up at both US osteopathic and FMG applicants, even if they happen to be US citizens.

Your chances of getting a general surgery resdiency in the US as an FMG are considerably better, but probably not at the better institutions. Again some general surgery programs turn their noses up at FMGs and US DOs because they can, but there are some programs that are fairly receptive to FMGs. I know an FMG in a general surgery program right here in New York, though at one of the most financially strapped institutions in the city.

Being a DO would also be difficult if you go for surgical or surgical subspecialty residencies, but the osteopathic colleges have established their own training programs in both general surgery and ortho. I suggest you find out which osteopathic schools sponsor what programs and work from that. I hear there are relatively few ortho and general surg programs in the DO world as compared to the MD world, but if you really want it, at least they're there.

My advice, however, is if you want surgery or a surgical subspecialty, get into a US MD school. And between going to an osteopathic medical school and an Island school, I'd much rather go to an osteopathic school, but of course I agree with the philosophy of being an osteopathic physician.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 10-29-2000).]

Historically, a few ortho residencies HAVE been given to US grads of Irish and Australian med schools. I personally am aware of only one that went to a carrib grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally think that if you go to a DO school, you would be able to do whatever specialty you want. But of course, you have to love the philosophy of Osteopathy in order to reach your goal. I personally met with a cardiovascular DO. And his friend in a neurosurgeon DO. And yesterday while I was watching TLC on the trauma spisodes, there was this neurosurgeon and I took a quick glimps on his ID badge and he happened to be a DO!
Thus, personally I think going to DO school will take you wherever you want. But remember, you have to love the philosophy and you have to work HARD!

But if your heart is set on MD and want to go to a foreign med school, then your chances of going to a high specialty residency will be slim. But of course there are of course excellent foreign MD surgeons. And if you want to be like of them, then you have to work very (HARD) {raised to the power} 3!

Good luck.
Samer

I read in the latest issue of the New England Journal of Medicine that two MD's from the LCME were bashing what Ross was trying to do in Wyoming. What do you foreign students think about the campus on US soil?

I will venture an educated opinion regarding this. It is only opinion.

In my studied opinion, schools with non-US charters that cater primarily to US citizens who seek to make the move to US soil are, in the ultimate anlysis, staging themselves to incremetally become LCME schools. It is too complicated to get into the hows and whys of this, but one component in this is through eventual affiliation with and annextion by a US university.

But in my own research of the various factor involved, the method to this end is doubtful, if not legally than at least socially.

Arguably, a more direct route toward this end will be more successful.

Note, however, that when a school with a non-US charter caters to the citizens of their charter, they are welcomed easily upon US soil, legally and socially, as exemplafied by the International School of Medicine of Malaysia, whose Malaysian students ONLY do all clinicals in the US or UK at top 10% facilities.

It is incorrect to assume DO's are in the same position as US Grads. However they may have an advantage for orthopods. IMGs do get these spots but rarely; you have ot be outstanding and must ask youself then if you think you can perform so well, "why did I not do well enough to get to a US school' If you can make up for whatever deficit you have, that will serve you will; nevertheless it is very difficult to be an orthopod from an IMG school. Im from SGU and we did have someone go into it last year; I do not know ross' figures but they probably are comparable.

Ortho? Man, good luck. I know of one guy from my class at ross that got ortho. People say it is a crappy program and that the US applicants did not want it. I find that hard to believe. As far as the general surgery, things have changed dramatically in the past few years, I know of at least 10 classmates that matched in catagorical surgery spots, at programs like UMDNJ, U of New Mexico SUNY Buffalo and others with good reputations. Surgery can be done, but you are going to have to work your tail off. It will be worth it. I can olny imagine that going to a D.O school would make it even easier, but I just don't know for sure!