Ross University.... in New York?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This thread sure does make you antsy, doesn't it? No one is forcing you to come in here and listen to us "bitch." We will stop discussing the issue when we feel everything that we would like to say has been said. Who cares if there are better things to discuss? There are also worse things; this is a moot point.

There's no reason in e-mailing the guy; he will not respond, unless one of us threatens to contact the California medical board. If we do that, he'll probably threaten to sue. Why get involved in that mess?

:thumbup: Agreed.

I am not looking to screw the guy over...just to poke some fun at him:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

OK we got the point..he is guy who lacks confidence to say he went to caribbean and I promise I wont do it if i goto caribbean. Can we PLEASE move on now or do I have to pull moveon.org kinda stunt here. There are better things we can discuss. AND did anyone called him to ask him why is it new york and not in caribbean. I guess not..we just like to bitch at each other and not call the guy.

Well, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like the topic being discussed, then go elsewhere.
Its as simple as that.

:laugh: Absolutely. Unless you are catering to the ritziest clients, no one will care where you went to school or where you did your residency. If you can hang a shingle that says "Plastic Surgeon," and you haven't been shut down by the state for fraud, that's about all the credentials 95% of people care about.

Look at that show Dr. 90210, for example. One of the doctors is a DO, running a very successful dermatology practice in one of, if not the, most image conscious part of the world; LA. So if you can "get away with," not being an MD and practicing dermatology in LA, I don't see why being an IMG MD and doing plastics in some dumpy city would cause a problem.

I agree. Besides, very few of his patients are going to ask him where he went to school. I doubt the ones who even ask are really going to give a $hit. By the way, does the diploma for Ross state that the school is in the Caribbean? If that's the case, and he wants to hide the fact that he went to a Caribbean school, he doesn't even have to post the diploma in his office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. Besides, very few of his patients are going to ask him where he went to school. I doubt the ones who even ask are really going to give a $hit. By the way, does the diploma for Ross state that the school is in the Caribbean? If that's the case, and he wants to hide the fact that he went to a Caribbean school, he doesn't even have to post the diploma in his office.

Good question. I know it says Dominica, but I don't remember if it says something like "Dominica, West Indies" If anything, people will probably think you went to school in the Dominican Republic :laugh: (Note: yes, I do have that little confidence in the intelligence of humanity as a whole)

in the state of new york, it is legal to list yourself as an MD when you are a DO. this is the one state where it is allowed.

in the state of new york, it is legal to list yourself as an MD when you are a DO. this is the one state where it is allowed.

Really? That's pretty bizarre. I'll have to look it up (not saying I don't trust you, of course ;))

Well, no one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like the topic being discussed, then go elsewhere.
Its as simple as that.

Oh Yeah I forgot this is caribbean forum. This is probably only entertainment you get in caribbean.

Really? That's pretty bizarre. I'll have to look it up (not saying I don't trust you, of course ;))

Regarding the DO issue in NY, I found the following points on the NYS medical education website:

§6529. Power of board of regents regarding certain physicians.
Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the board of regents is authorized, in its discretion, to confer the degree of doctor of medicine (M.D.) upon physicians who are licensed pursuant to section sixty-five hundred twenty-four or sixty-five hundred twenty-eight of this chapter. Each applicant shall pay a fee of three hundred dollars to the education department for the issuance of such degree.

§6524. Requirements for a professional license.
To qualify for a license as a physician, an applicant shall fulfill the following requirements:

Application: file an application with the department;
Education: have received an education, including a degree of doctor of medicine, "M.D.", or doctor of osteopathy, "D.O.", or equivalent degree in accordance with the commissioner's regulations;
Experience: have experience satisfactory to the board and in accordance with the commissioner's regulations;
Examination: pass an examination satisfactory to the board and in accordance with the commissioner's regulations; ...

With that said, I've also poked around online, and supposedly some DOs tried this in the early 90s and were denied by NYS, and were told their education was not deemed worthy of an MD. Strange, because the points above specifically state that the DO degree can be used. I wonder if the semantics have changed since the early 90s?

Source: http://www.op.nysed.gov/article131.htm

Edison, NJ is where their corporate office for the North East operations is located. They also have one in Miami, and somewhere out West. That's where they interview people, accept, reject, take your money etc. But ROSS University is chartered in the Commonwealth of Dominica. I don't care if DeVry wants to oppen office on the Dark side of the Moon...lol.

It'll be similar to posting St. James SOM, Chicago, IL :eek:. That's where they take your money, but charter is in Bonaire, NA.

This should help clarify it: http://imed.ecfmg.org/details.asp?c...e=&city=&region=&rname=&mcode=305010&psize=25

http://imed.ecfmg.org/details.asp?c...e=&city=&region=&rname=&mcode=665030&psize=25

Please note differenece between "school address" meaning it's physical location, and "Contacts" which could be in U.S or anywhere in the World.
Yep I agree thats why I said it was stretched by this Doc, but a lot of posts said stuff without just going to the ROSS website and see if there could be anything to this and to me it seemed yes there is this NJ address (NO not NY but this doc may have attended clinicals in NY and there you go) for me it is misrepresentations of the history of this Doc, no it does not matter where you went to school IMO, but honesty does always.............................

Yep I agree thats why I said it was stretched by this Doc, but a lot of posts said stuff without just going to the ROSS website and see if there could be anything to this and to me it seemed yes there is this NJ address (NO not NY but this doc may have attended clinicals in NY and there you go) for me it is misrepresentations of the history of this Doc, no it does not matter where you went to school IMO, but honesty does always.............................

ROSS used to have their NE headquaters in NYC way back. They are in Jersey for at least 5 years now. So that doc is probably their graduate from 15 or more years ago. But anyway, he made it to the top. I don't know what his issues with the place that got him there are. But also we assume that he went to ROSS only. Many ppl transfer to their clinical, and their degree is confered by ROSS as a consequence. I guess it's a mystery that will never be solved as long as it keeps going and going and going like an "Energizer" bunny...lol :laugh:

ROSS used to have their NE headquaters in NYC way back. They are in Jersey for at least 5 years now. So that doc is probably their graduate from 15 or more years ago. But anyway, he made it to the top. I don't know what his issues with the place that got him there are. But also we assume that he went to ROSS only. Many ppl transfer to their clinical, and their degree is confered by ROSS as a consequence. I guess it's a mystery that will never be solved as long as it keeps going and going and going like an "Energizer" bunny...lol :laugh:
See this is what I'm talking about, instead of posting that this DOC is lying ( well he is to some extent), post where this came from. AWESOME

I think he has changed it... his website says "Dominica Campus" now

HAHA wow.. that's pretty cool. Apparently someone must have e-mailed him that saw this thread (or he's a member here...?). Still, he should just say Ross University, Dominica; By saying Ross U New Jersey (Dominica), he's making it sound like Dominica is a small town somewhere in Jersey; does anyone here know every single city in Jersey? No, I don't think so; people in California will be even less informed of Jersey locales, so he is honestly still misleading people, but it's a start.

Members don't see this ad :)
nope still says "ROSS NJ"

nope still says "ROSS NJ"

Technically, he is not lying. Ross has the office in NJ and the campus on Dominica. There is no set way to list your education.

I get how all of you are upset with the "false" Ross U location... however, its not false.... Check with the US dept of Education, the schools use this information as the official location of the school (in order to be Title IV approved for FAFSA benefits) so clearly if the school can claim this as the official location to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, i think it would be fair for a graduate to do the same

I get how all of you are upset with the "false" Ross U location... however, its not false.... Check with the US dept of Education, the schools use this information as the official location of the school (in order to be Title IV approved for FAFSA benefits) so clearly if the school can claim this as the official location to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, i think it would be fair for a graduate to do the same

Weird bump. The link in the OP doesn't work anymore. Anyway:

Technically, maybe. But you have to consider the audience and intent.

The only reason to list New York instead of Dominica is to mislead people into thinking you graduated from a New York med school and got a US medical education. Graduating from Ross, you obviously did not.

This falls under the category of intentionally misleading people. The same category of dubious door-to-door salesmen.

let me guess, you would do the same thing.... wanker:laugh:

Ok, let me bring a little reality to all of you bashers on this post.

#1: last time I checked, medical school does not teach plastic surgery. A IMG med student and a US med studnet are both equally incapable of doing anyting in medicine besides getting in the way of the residents and attendings.

#2: med school is that, school. It does not matter really which school you get in, just get in and do well. If caribbean education was so inferior to that of the US, the students would not be able to take the steps and get a US license. (I'm not saying Caribben is 100% equal to US or the same)

#3. You want a really competitive residency/fello spot. (This is where you get your skills that make you your $$$)

#4: I doubt that patients are paying this doc to teach them the routes of the brachial plexus. If this guy is a US board certified plastic surgeon, I respect that. Ross has a good rep, look at their match list.

#5: The only knock on him would be things like doctor errors in precision, unexplained deaths, bad techniques, over priced, etc....

Okay, the guy should have just stated his school and if not confident in the location of the school, not mention it. Some patients care about things like that and it is their right, especilly when choosing to go under the knife. If that is the issue, those patients will not go to him/her. I don't care if you graduated from Harvard school of medicine. If you suck as a surgeon, I don't want you operating on me if I have a choice.

Peace!

Last edited:
IMO, their actions speak volumes about their character. For me, that matters as much as their superior skill set. Before I went under their blade, I would wonder if they really had my best interest at heart?" Their image issues as faux-American medical graduates is distracting to the educated patient. Such an attempt to avoid being labeled a Foreign/International grad tarnishes what is otherwise an exceptional collection of credentials.

rlxdmd

St. George's University, Grenada, W.I.

IMO, their actions speak volumes about their character. For me, that matters as much as their superior skill set. Before I went under their blade, I would wonder if they really had my best interest at heart?" Their image issues as faux-American medical graduates is distracting to the educated patient. Such an attempt to avoid being labeled a Foreign/International grad tarnishes what is otherwise an exceptional collection of credentials.

rlxdmd

St. George's University, Grenada, W.I.

Well I have to agree here. To me, it doesn't matter where this guy went to medical school. For all I care, he got into plastics and those are freaking hard to get no matter where you graduated from. He should be commended for that.

That being said, what he's doing by trying to pass off a Carribbean school as a US medical school is kinda shady. Has this guy not learned anything from his rotations and residency? An ethical doc does not go around fudging his credentials. Even if his degree does say NY or NJ, it's his intention of misleading others that reflects badly on his character. Maybe that's why he's no longer listed on the pastic surgery site, either that or he lost his license.

There's an ophthalmologist in Brownstown, MI who has apparently worked on Richard Hamilton and Pavel Datsyuk's eyes, and they do commercials for him that air around the Detroit area. He's a D.O.(look at the third result, it's the same guy), yet when you google his name, the first result is his practice's website and it clearly says he's an M.D. in the link's title. I think this is more misleading to the public than the location of where one spent 16 months studying basic sciences.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Reza+Rahmani&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

There's an ophthalmologist in Brownstown, MI who has apparently worked on Richard Hamilton and Pavel Datsyuk's eyes, and they do commercials for him that air around the Detroit area. He's a D.O.(look at the third result, it's the same guy), yet when you google his name, the first result is his practice's website and it clearly says he's an M.D. in the link's title. I think this is more misleading to the public than the location of where one spent 16 months studying basic sciences.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Reza+Rahmani&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Yep, I agree with you. It is a obvious difference in DO/MD education. This is worse. However, did the DO get a DO or MD residency? I wish people would just be honest. St. G or Ross or Auc/saba are great schools and it is more a crime against current. future, and co students at those schools. These students work hard to bring the names of those schools up to the level of US schools and misleading the patients about those facts cheapens the caribbean experience imo. I still don't know wht he mentioned the location of the school. If you go to most US schools/hospitals and look at tehir current residents, it states their medical school name,but not location. if the residency program does not divide FMGs from US grads, why do so yourself to promote your business. This is truly unethical. It does not warrant anyone losing a license or anything, but shady.