Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I understand it correctly, all medical schools must have sent out enough acceptance letters by March 30 in order to fill their first year's class. However, from reading past year's threads, only about 15 BMS'ers were accepted to CMS at the end of March, with another wave coming at the end of April. So, if CMS accepts anywhere from 50-70 percent of BMS students, how can there be enough room? Do that many accepted CMS students matriculate to other schools?

The yield on acceptance letters is low - highly competitive applicants often choose between numerous acceptance offers.

Members don't see this ad.

The yield on acceptance letters is low - highly competitive applicants often choose between numerous acceptance offers.
Thanks Hailstorm. The past threads have indicated that there is a spot for everyone, provided they obtain at least all B's (no guarantee, but this is the history). The minimum acceptance rate for the BMS'ers I've seen is 50% and I've seen as high as 70%. My big concern is if the yield for those accepted is higher than past years, there may not be a spot for everyone, unless they are willing to go above the 190 size for CMS

I know it's early...but has anyone been accepted yet? Or heard back at all?

I just submitted my app last week - hoping to be complete soon.

I mailed in my app in the beginning of December...still haven't heard anything yet. I've read that once you received the email saying they got your app and it is under review, you should hear back within 4-6 weeks. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
TonySoprano,

I went to an open house at Rosalind last November and they said CMS was switching to pass/fail starting this year. Do you know if the same goes for BMS or would we still have the normal grading scale?

Pass/Fail is for Medical Students. The BMS students still get letter grades A,B,C,F. Even if it does change to P/F for BMS students next year, I guarantee the professors still keep percentage values that are shared with the admissions committee; so, an 80.5% compared to an 88% for different students is still significant difference in performance even though the letter grade for both students is a "B."

If anything, the LCME probation should help BMS students. We were told by CMS admissions that when they were put on probation in the early 2000's (or whenever that was) they received a few thousand less applicants. Theoretically, that should make BMS students more competitive applicants because they're competing against a smaller applicant pool.

Last edited:
Regarding getting in with the GRE/MCAT - I was accepted with a GRE score of 163Q/161V/4.5W.

Regarding mandatory classes. I saw someone post that you only have 1 mandatory class per week. That's not true. Some weeks you will have mandatory class M/Tu/Thu, other weeks only M/Tu, and other weeks, only Mondays. I would say it's usually the middle option (2 mandatory days/week). For the record, podcasting of all classes (mandatory and non-mandatory) is really top-notch here.

Regarding track selection, just go with where your interests are - the tracks are mostly similar.

Regarding MCAT/GPA cutoff - we were told by BMS admissions at orientation that there is a 22MCAT/3.0 GPA cutoff. The MCAT cutoff seems accurate (the lowest MCAT I know amongst my BMS classmates is a 24), but I'm not sure about the 3.0 GPA cutoff. I personally know of two people with sub-3.0 GPA's, but they both have decent (30+) MCAT's and good EC's.

Regarding % acceptance/matriculation into CMS. When looking at matriculation stats, just keep in mind that 15+% of students that started the program will drop out due to other med-school acceptances/career switching/family problems, etc. Our class started at 130 and is currently about 110.

Regarding the difficulty of the program - it's a really challenging program, but totally doable with a lot of studying. In GENERAL (this is what i've seen here with n>5 sample size), if you were a hard-science major in undergrad (esp. bio/biochem/physio/bioengineering), you will find this program easier than if you were a social science major. Also, if you're already good at managing your time (i.e. you know how to say no to going out when you need to, you don't stay up till 4AM playing video games with your roommates on weekdays), you should be fine.

In summary - I like the program a lot. You can get started on your M1 classes right away (without a gap) year, which is pretty friggin' cool. I have most of the medical knowledge that my M1 friends at other schools have (minus anatomy and histo). Also, I like the campus a lot (only since the new gym/new building/new cafeteria opened) and the teaching staff is excellent. Feel free to PM with specific questions.

Last edited:
I got confirmation that I was under review for BMS today, although it was a little strange. They mentioned being notified if I was "selected to interview", but the BMS site said that there were no interviews. I feel like I may have been sent a form email. Either that or I somehow applied to the wrong program.

I got confirmation that I was under review for BMS today, although it was a little strange. They mentioned being notified if I was "selected to interview", but the BMS site said that there were no interviews. I feel like I may have been sent a form email. Either that or I somehow applied to the wrong program.

Also got this email. Hoping it was just an error, it was definitely a form email.

Anybody else really frustrated at the administration? Last year I applied (super late, which is why I didn't get in) but I had an admissions counselor helping me at every step. This year I get one response for every 3-5 emails I send.

I really doubt it, as the BMS site still specifically says that no interviews are done for the BMS program (reference here: http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/BiomedicalSciences/FAQ.aspx). I think they just sent out the form email for RFU's MD applicants by mistake.

BMS and CMS admissions are totally unrelated - different departments - different offices - different people etc. A form-email-swap sounds highly unlikely. Websites here are updated very infrequently - you should trust email communication over what you see on the website. I have no idea if they're conducting interviews this year, but you should just call them if you really want to know something. They're very friendly on the phone.

Last edited:
is the application the one you have to print out and fill out by hand?

why do these people make there applications so hard and confusing?

is the application the one you have to print out and fill out by hand?

why do these people make there applications so hard and confusing?

You can print it and fill it out by hand or use Adobe or whatever program to fill most of it out on the computer. There are parts of the application that I wasn't able to fill out using my computer so I just did mine by hand.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email saying my application was under review in late december, but I don't remember seeing anything about the interview thing. I tried looking for the email but it was permanently deleted since it was over 30 days old. Has anyone heard anything from admissions or tried contacting them about it?

I received an email saying my application was under review in late december, but I don't remember seeing anything about the interview thing. I tried looking for the email but it was permanently deleted since it was over 30 days old. Has anyone heard anything from admissions or tried contacting them about it?

I emailed them and they replied right away saying sorry for the confusion and there won't be any interviews...phew

Anyone else also apply to CMS this cycle and had some materials (LORs, transcripts and MCAT) transferred to their BMS app? I received an email saying I was missing materials and I'm not really sure why.

That link I gave was from CMS admissions, not BMS. It says: 'No, we do not have a minimum GPA or MCAT score to be considered for admission'. I just find it very discouraging to think/imagine that BMS would admit students into the program knowing that they had an MCAT below an undisclosed cutoff for CMS admissions consideration thus preventing linkage immediately after completion of BMS.

I'm debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT because my MCAT is slightly below the average MCAT for CMS matriculants but at the average of BMS matriculants. I was just thinking of focusing on my ECs - if it even matters - since they are a bit lackluster.

I hope this is true. I'd be really discouraged if I enrolled into the BMS program, got great grades, had a reasonably good interview then be told that I am not admitted because of my MCAT.
I am a former BMS student and current CMS student. If your MCAT is good enough to get into the BMS program, it is good enough to get into the CMS program. While they look at your entire application, your BMS performance holds a lot of weight. You want to perform well in the BMS program.

Thanks Hailstorm. The past threads have indicated that there is a spot for everyone, provided they obtain at least all B's (no guarantee, but this is the history). The minimum acceptance rate for the BMS'ers I've seen is 50% and I've seen as high as 70%. My big concern is if the yield for those accepted is higher than past years, there may not be a spot for everyone, unless they are willing to go above the 190 size for CMS
There essentially is a spot for everyone. The truth is, however, that not all BMS students meet the standards for matriculation into CMS, some BMS students apply (and get accepted) to other programs and/or other schools. Some BMS students drop out. I was an BMS student last year. We started with a class of about 120 and ended with around 110. Of the people who finished the program, about 70 people were admitted. I know personally that some students chose other programs within RFUMS and some students went to other med schools. A 60% chance of matriculating into CMS is a good chance - especially if you make good grades in the BMS program.

If anything, the LCME probation should help BMS students. We were told by CMS admissions that when they were put on probation in the early 2000's (or whenever that was) they received a few thousand less applicants. Theoretically, that should make BMS students more competitive applicants because they're competing against a smaller applicant pool. In fact, this year CMS extended it's secondary application deadline by two weeks at the last minute, meaning they really didn't get enough applicants this year.
Actually, CMS received more applications this year than in previous years. Many people probably have the same thoughts as you. They may think less people will apply due to the probationary status - and thus think their chances are greater. There are a LOT of people that think that way. That's why the number of applicants this year has increased!

Anyone else also apply to CMS this cycle and had some materials (LORs, transcripts and MCAT) transferred to their BMS app? I received an email saying I was missing materials and I'm not really sure why.

As far as I know, you just had to sign the waiver box on the BMS application. I also applied to CMS and I think they have all of my materials for the BMS now. Judging by last year's thread, the first admissions decisions should be coming out very soon.

As far as I know, you just had to sign the waiver box on the BMS application. I also applied to CMS and I think they have all of my materials for the BMS now. Judging by last year's thread, the first admissions decisions should be coming out very soon.

Yeah they got back to me and said they sent me the wrong email. They ended up sending me the email saying my app is complete yesterday. It did say I will hear a status update within the upcoming months. Hope it doesn't take that long!

Have you heard anything from CMS? I'm still waiting to be rejected or get an invite for an interview.

Yeah they got back to me and said they sent me the wrong email. They ended up sending me the email saying my app is complete yesterday. It did say I will hear a status update within the upcoming months. Hope it doesn't take that long!

Have you heard anything from CMS? I'm still waiting to be rejected or get an invite for an interview.

I was rejected from CMS way back in the cycle. I'm really hoping for an acceptance within the next month just for peace of mind.

I was rejected from CMS way back in the cycle. I'm really hoping for an acceptance within the next month just for peace of mind.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted if you hear anything.

I also got the complete email this week. Crossing my fingers, as this is currently my top choice!

I just got an email saying my application is now under consideration with the admissions committee...nervous!!

Hey guys,

I am a current BMS student. I know I used this site as a major source of information last year when I needed help--so I am offering the same to you guys this year. PM me with any questions you have and I will try my best to get back to you within a couple of days. Life is very busy here so don't be offended if I miss a response or it takes a little while. Best of luck to all of you!

-HT

Is it too late to apply? When is the deadline?

Hey guys,

It seems like a few of you are not able to view my replies. For those of you who messaged me and were able to view my responses, could you just simply reply with a "yes" or something so I know which replies I have to resend. Thanks guys! Goodluck!

-HT

So..

I will be taking my MCAT in March, and won't be receiving my results until about April. Do you think it would be too late in the cycle to apply this year? My stats are as follows:

cGPA: 3.089 sGPA: 3.25 post-bacc GPA: 3.5 Mcat: 28-32 (practice tests)

Your stats are pretty good. What about ECs?

I would still apply this year. From past forums I've seen a lot of people apply at that time. They still haven't started accepting anyone so they are kind of behind this year as it is.

Alright I just applied. By sending in a paper (?!?! only option?) application. I don't get my MCAT results until the 25th of this month. So nobody's heard back yet?

I just sent in my application and the averages are a bit scary from last year's tread. My question is, when they calculate the GPA do they look the GPA given by the university, the total GPA (like in AMCAS) or do they do grade replacement?

My cGPA is 2.88 but with grade replacement I'm looking at 3.11.
I have good letters, average EC/research and such. I have two MCAT scores, 26 and 30.

Frankly what are my chances \

Your MCAT score is good, GPA is a bit low though. Considering you have research experience and good letters, you have a decent shot in my opinion. Plus you applied fairly early in the cycle.

I'm not sure how they calculate grades though. I would like to know that as well. I'm assuming they just go off your transcripts. Not sure though.

Good luck!

Anyone hear back from Admissions yet after being notified their applications were complete? My understanding from last year was that they take around 4 weeks. I'm nearing that point, just curious.

Anyone hear back from Admissions yet after being notified their applications were complete? My understanding from last year was that they take around 4 weeks. I'm nearing that point, just curious.

Yeah I got an email saying my app is under review with the admissions committee about 2 weeks ago. I was complete January 31st.

Waitlisted just now. This sucks.

Waitlisted just now. This sucks.
Well I don't think they've accepted anyone yet, I don't know what they're waiting for. It's a rolling admission so you'll definitely move off the waitlist. Actually, do you mind sharing your stats?
And at least you have your application complete, getting my professors to fill out those LOR forms was a pain! I'm still waiting for one last professor to send it out.. :lame:

Last edited:
Well I don't think they've accepted anyone yet, I don't know what they're waiting for. It's a rolling admission so you'll definitely move off the waitlist. Actually, do you mind sharing your stats?
And at least you have your application complete, getting my professors to fill out those LOR forms was a pain! I'm still waiting for one last professor to send it out.. :lame:

Idk either. Last year they were accepting people in January. I hope I hear something soon bc this is depressing lol. Those LOR forms did seem like a pain!! I applied to CMS so luckily I just had them transfer my letters from my AMCAS application. Good luck to you!

Oh my stats. 3.56 GPA 23 MCAT. I'm sure that's what put me on the wait list so I'm retaking in April. But I have 100+ hrs of shadowing, volunteering, and research experience so I was thinking I'd be ok. Fingers crossed!

Idk either. Last year they were accepting people in January. I hope I hear something soon bc this is depressing lol. Those LOR forms did seem like a pain!! I applied to CMS so luckily I just had them transfer my letters from my AMCAS application. Good luck to you!
Lucky you! haha and thanks!!

Oh my stats. 3.56 GPA 23 MCAT. I'm sure that's what put me on the wait list so I'm retaking in April. But I have 100+ hrs of shadowing, volunteering, and research experience so I was thinking I'd be ok. Fingers crossed!
Yeah the MCAT is definitely it, if you had a 25+ you would've definitely not been put on the waitlist. I'm sure once you get that score up they will get you off that list! Good luck studying for your MCAT!!

Lucky you! haha and thanks!!

Yeah the MCAT is definitely it, if you had a 25+ you would've definitely not been put on the waitlist. I'm sure once you get that score up they will get you off that list! Good luck studying for your MCAT!!

uhh this definitely scares me a bit. I have 3.46 and 28 and just sent in my application today. I should have applied earlier but...think I'll get waitlisted too?

uhh this definitely scares me a bit. I have 3.46 and 28 and just sent in my application today. I should have applied earlier but...think I'll get waitlisted too?

You never know really. Apparently they are weighing heavily on MCAT this year and yours is at their average and your GPA is above average as well. You'll probably be fine. Good luck to you.

I have very similar stats as you and I don't think we need to get worried this early.. lets wait until at least April-May haha

If you are on the waitlist, be prepared for a long wait until July to hear anything at all from admissions

Whatttt why so long?

You can try emailing or calling them, but they will most likely tell you that they won't look at the waitlist until the summer. Also, if you ask them about your chances, they will probably tell you that the applicant pool is competitive and that you will probably not get in. However, don't believe it all, alot of people are admitted off the waitlist in July and August; I think ~15-20 people every year. But that's just my guess. You could ask them later where you are on the waitlist and they will tell you if you are near the top or bottom of the waitlist because they rank people on the list according to the strength of your application. Ranking is not determined by when you applied and were waitlisted. Good Luck, I hope you make it in

Honestly, if I had a gpa of 3.56 I would just take time off to get a super high MCAT score, strengthen my ECs etc. and apply directly to med school

Yeah I know. I applied for so many jobs but never got one. Gotta start paying student loans or go to school so I don't have to.

Did you guys get an email quickly after you sent all your documents? I sent my stuff early last week and still haven't heard anything. Wonder if something didn't come through.