Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TonySoprano

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
This is one one SMPs that I'm considering applying to this cycle so I'm also interested to hear what former students have to say about the program - besides what's already been said in previous threads.

TonySoprano, are you a current or former student in the BMS program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about this program's LOR requirement. It says "three individual letters of recommendations from persons involved in the students' previous educational experience are required."

Does anyone know if this has to be 3 faculty? I have the traditional 2 faculty (one science, one non-science) plus 2 from work & volunteer. The two non-faculty were actually quite involved with my educational experience as well. Is it safe to assume I probably need one more LOR from another faculty/TA?

"Thank you for your interest in the Biomedical Sciences program at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.

The application for the class beginning in August 2014 will be available in October 2013"

.... Only 5 more days of October, I'm wondering if they are going to put the application up at 11:59 PM on Halloween :smuggrin:

This is one one SMPs that I'm considering applying to this cycle so I'm also interested to hear what former students have to say about the program - besides what's already been said in previous threads.

TonySoprano, are you a current or former student in the BMS program?

Yea, I'm a current student. This program is pretty challenging.

Do you know how last year did in terms of getting into CMS?
We were told: of the people who completed the program, about 65-70% admitted into CMS. There is about 120 people per BMS class, but I think some people in my class just dropped out at the start of this Winter quarter. I won't know how many students are left in my class for a while, but I think there still atleast 110 people. Probably by the time February rolls around it might drop to 90-100 students. Then out of that, its about ~70% admission, so about 70 students should get in. So when you look on the CMS website about their incoming class of 190 students, the actual external applicants who matriculate to CMS is 120 students.

Also, though that 70% figure is the people who actually get in, the faculty here seem to stress that everyone can get in if they take care of business. So it could potentially be 100% if everyone was able to succeed in the coursework and doesn't have any kind of red flag in their application/interview.

Word is that you should just strive to get A's because the admissions committee likes to see students who can handle a medical school curriculum. We are like 70% of a med student in terms of course load.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the info just a few more questions. Do you know how students are evaluated in terms of admission to CMS as in is it more performance in the BMS program or is your undergrad performance taken into account as well? Are the BMS students evaluated separate from the people who aren't in the program?

Thanks for the info just a few more questions. Do you know how students are evaluated in terms of admission to CMS as in is it more performance in the BMS program or is your undergrad performance taken into account as well? Are the BMS students evaluated separate from the people who aren't in the program?

Your BMS performance is what matters. Undergrad grades only matter to get into the BMS program itself. But for CMS, they want to see that you can handle some of their medical school classes. On a sidenote, they do also look at your MCAT. But if you are doing well in BMS and have a +25 MCAT, I think you should be fine. Also, the BMS students are looked at separately. All our interviews are going to happen in December and January. From what I've learned, there is a seat for every BMS student who wants one, if they can show they can handle the curriculum and not mess up the interview.

Thanks for making this thread! I'm strongly considering applying here (and soon) in case this app cycle doesn't work out for me.

Did you apply to any other MD/DO schools this cycle other than RFU? How have you or your classmates managed the difficult workload? Is it just a matter of dedicating a lot of time to studying and nothing else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for making this thread! I'm strongly considering applying here (and soon) in case this app cycle doesn't work out for me.

Did you apply to any other MD/DO schools this cycle other than RFU? How have you or your classmates managed the difficult workload? Is it just a matter of dedicating a lot of time to studying and nothing else?

I applied to some other schools, but I haven't heard back from anyone. I'm not really expecting to because my undergrad GPA was not stellar. I think if you want to be successful in BMS, you should just treat it like a job. Assume that everyday you have class you're going to be studying/listening to lecture from 9-5pm. Go to class. After class go to the library/your room, study what you learned that day and try and make sense out of the dense notes professors give to you. And then read the notes for the next lecture, so you have some idea of what they are going to cover. You can waver from that type of schedule and just cram a week prior to exams too, but its tough to do it that way and will burn you out. Trust me, I've done it a couple times out of our 4 exams so far. And you will NEED atleast a week of preparation to study for the exams (if you want an A), unless you are very good at cramming, though I think if you are like that then you wouldn't be in this program.

Last edited:
I am considering applying to RFU's BMS program but not sure if I am even competitive to get in. Using the non-AACOMAS, standard grading system, my cGPA is a 2.75, sGPA 3.25, and 27 MCAT (9/9/9). Will that cumulative get me an auto-reject from this post-bac program? And even if I get in, will I have zero chance of getting into the med school, regardless of how i do in the BMS program because of my undergrad stats?

Assume that everyday you have class you're going to be studying/listening to lecture from 9-5pm. Go to class. After class go to the library/your room, study what you learned that day and try and make sense out of the dense notes professors give to you.

Are the lectures mandatory? I'm leaning towards this program, but I'd likely have to commute. If the lectures can be streamed instead, that would be a huge plus.

Are the lectures mandatory? I'm leaning towards this program, but I'd likely have to commute. If the lectures can be streamed instead, that would be a huge plus.

No, lecture is not mandatory with the exception of one class and then a few lectures in other classes throughout the year. Lectures are recorded for us to watch whenever we want. They are normally posted the same day a few hours after lecture.

Last edited:
I am considering applying to RFU's BMS program but not sure if I am even competitive to get in. Using the non-AACOMAS, standard grading system, my cGPA is a 2.75, sGPA 3.25, and 27 MCAT (9/9/9). Will that cumulative get me an auto-reject from this post-bac program? And even if I get in, will I have zero chance of getting into the med school, regardless of how i do in the BMS program because of my undergrad stats?

I think you have a decent shot of getting into the BMS program with those stats. No harm in applying. I've heard of people who got into CMS with similar stats if their performance in BMS is great. Once you are in BMS, the committee does not care much, if at all, about your undergrad stats. They mostly focus on your grades in BMS, MCAT and interview.

I think you have a decent shot of getting into the BMS program with those stats. No harm in applying. I've heard of people who got into CMS with similar stats if their performance in BMS is great. Once you are in BMS, the committee does not care much, if at all, about your undergrad stats. They mostly focus on your grades in BMS, MCAT and interview.
Thanks, Mr. Soprano. I am a litte cautious since I saw the student profile at around a 3.2 cumulative and science with a 28 MCAT. But then again those are averages.

I am interested in applying to this program next year, and have a few questions, if anyone could help answer that would be awesome.

First, off how strict is BMS on grades for pre-req's, I have received a C- in a pre-req and am wondering if that will be accepted?

Secondly, how about the 8 hours of Biology? If I have an intro Bio 1001, and then upper level classes is that fine? Or, should I look into taking a course such as Zoology?

Lastly, not sure if this will apply to me or not (hopefully not). But, out of curiosity, is it a strict 3.0 gpa requirement? Or would a 2.9-2.9 suffice with a solid MCAT score (34).

Thanks, everyone!

I am interested in applying to this program next year, and have a few questions, if anyone could help answer that would be awesome.

First, off how strict is BMS on grades for pre-req's, I have received a C- in a pre-req and am wondering if that will be accepted?

Secondly, how about the 8 hours of Biology? If I have an intro Bio 1001, and then upper level classes is that fine? Or, should I look into taking a course such as Zoology?

Lastly, not sure if this will apply to me or not (hopefully not). But, out of curiosity, is it a strict 3.0 gpa requirement? Or would a 2.9-2.9 suffice with a solid MCAT score (34).

Thanks, everyone!

If the application says you need at least a C in prereq then u cant apply with the C-. As for the bio classes, your advanced bio wll meet the requirement. Finally, your MCAT is great there is no GPA cut off. Some people apply with sub 3.0 GPAs and get in.

If the application says you need at least a C in prereq then u cant apply with the C-.

That's incorrect. I e-mailed someone at RFU last year, and wrote about the response I received in last year's thread (here). For the BMS program at Rosalind Franklin, a C- is considered a passing grade, or at least it was as of last year. As always, you should give someone a call if you're ever unsure.

Ya, on the C- part, I am not 100% sure, so it is better to call the office or email someone there.

I appreciate the responses, everyone.

Meanwhile, some sad news, my GPA is a bit lower than anticipated. I'm nervous for applying next year. Would you guys recommend I apply with around a 2.75 gpa/34 MCAT next year around January? Or, should I finish out the year next year, get the GPA up around 2.85-2.9, maybe take some summer or fall classes to raise the GPA closer to 3, then apply the Fall/Winter of 2015? My only worry with that is MCAT expiration.

Thanks again

I think you should save yourself time and apply ASAP. A 2.9 is not much more impressive than a 2.75. Your 34 MCAT is proof enough that you have the basic understanding of pre reqs for medical school. The application fee is $55, so I don't think it hurts to apply sooner.

They might put you on the waitlist, but you can probably get off the waitlist since there is alot of movement off it in the summer around July when people are deciding to go to other programs. I think the BMS admissions committee places more weight on the MCAT score than on your undergrad grades because they know CMS cares more about your performance in the BMS program than your undergrad grades when they are deciding on admitting you to medical school.

Also, if you have good grades in advanced coursework, you can submit those classes as your pre req classes. Here is a list of classes that can be used in your prereq spots: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

What is the track you guys recommend taking? I want ideally the least work/easiest so it doesnt interfere with me studying for med school classes

I sent an e-mail out to RFU BMS regarding the pre-requisite C- or C dilemma. The response I got was that a "C" is indeed required. So, I would say for myself, and all others applying, the safest bet is to re-take a c-.

What is the track you guys recommend taking? I want ideally the least work/easiest so it doesnt interfere with me studying for med school classes

I don't know about all the tracks, but everyone in my class seems to have a couple difficult/long assignments no matter which track they are in. Unfortunately, the long assignments seem to be coinciding with exam weeks for the med school classes, so they take away study time from those classes when you need it the most. Overall though, the track classes are not difficult.

I'm interested in attending this BMS but I don't plan on taking the MCAT until August. Can I still get in with solid GRE scores if I apply next month? I have a 3.4cgpa/3.25sgpa.

Ya, there are quite a few people in the program who applied with GRE scores but took their MCAT later. You can get in if you apply next month with good GRE scores. Your GPA is definitely good enough. Applying anytime before March 1 is still considered early application since I'm pretty sure the committee won't start looking at applications until February

Ya, there are quite a few people in the program who applied with GRE scores but took their MCAT later. You can get in if you apply next month with good GRE scores. Your GPA is definitely good enough. Applying anytime before March 1 is still considered early application since I'm pretty sure the committee won't start looking at applications until February
With what is going on with the probationary status, do you think that 55-65% of the BMS students will still get into CMS next year?

With what is going on with the probationary status, do you think that 55-65% of the BMS students will still get into CMS next year?

That figure is probably closer to 50%, if you account for dropouts as well as individuals who didn't perform too well. With regards to the LCME probation, it is my understanding that the offenses are very minor. I've looked at the literature and I am confident that CMS will not lose accredidation. However, the biggest change (this is just a personal opinion on what will happen) is that the number of students applying to CMS via AMCAS will decrease, thus perhaps increasing the number of students accepted to CMS for next year. On the other hand, if there are a substantial number of students applying to CMS anyway, then the BMS acceptance rate probably will not change.

hey guys so I'm thinking to apply to this program. 2 questions. 1) will I be expected to retake the MCAT? i scored in the mid 20s with a 7 on verbal :(
2) for the LOR requirement can I submit the letters I submitted through AMCAS? (i emailed the admissions office and they didn't quite answer my question lol)

hey guys so I'm thinking to apply to this program. 2 questions. 1) will I be expected to retake the MCAT? i scored in the mid 20s with a 7 on verbal :(
2) for the LOR requirement can I submit the letters I submitted through AMCAS? (i emailed the admissions office and they didn't quite answer my question lol)

What's your GPA? If your GPA is >3.1 ish, you should be OK and not have to retake the MCAT.

If you can get a higher score between now and the beginning of the fall semester, then you should do it. When CMS reviews your AMCAS application, they will look at everything, and that includes your MCAT score. You have plenty of time right now. You will have no time once BMS starts.

The LORs you will need to submit separately. The admissions committee for the BMS program is different from the CMS admissions committee. They will not transfer your recommendations between these two offices.

If you can get a higher score between now and the beginning of the fall semester, then you should do it. When CMS reviews your AMCAS application, they will look at everything, and that includes your MCAT score. You have plenty of time right now. You will have no time once BMS starts.

The LORs you will need to submit separately. The admissions committee for the BMS program is different from the CMS admissions committee. They will not transfer your recommendations between these two offices.
This is different then what i've heard before? I thought once you're in BMS, you're granted a clean slate? Is this not the case anymore?

This is different then what i've heard before? I thought once you're in BMS, you're granted a clean slate? Is this not the case anymore?

They have always looked at the entire application. At least this is what they told us last month. I vaguely remember them saying that as long you meet a minimum MCAT, then you should be fine as long as your BMS grades are strong. I don't remember the exact number, but it was below 30.

They have always looked at the entire application. At least this is what they told us last month. I vaguely remember them saying that as long you meet a minimum MCAT, then you should be fine as long as your BMS grades are strong. I don't remember the exact number, but it was below 30.

http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/AllopathicMedicine/FAQ.aspx
According to the link above, there is no minimum MCAT score: 'No, we do not have a minimum GPA or MCAT score to be considered for admission'. They lyin!?

When they talked about minimum MCAT score, is it just total score? Or is it certain scores for each MCAT section?

Its a a clean slate for your GPA. I think it also diminishes the importance of the MCAT a bit, seeing as how there are some people with mid 20s scores that are admitted, but the MCAT is still important. One thing the BMS committee expressed to us at the start of the year is that the CMS committee trusts the judgement of the BMS committee. You wouldn't be a BMS student if they didn't think you were capable of being successful and fitting in at the school. Every BMS student has a chance to matriculate into CMS.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Degreeprograms/AllopathicMedicine/FAQ.aspx
According to the link above, there is no minimum MCAT score: 'No, we do not have a minimum GPA or MCAT score to be considered for admission'. They lyin!?

When they talked about minimum MCAT score, is it just total score? Or is it certain scores for each MCAT section?

I'm not talking about what it takes to get into BMS. I'm talking about what happens afterward, when you are applying to CMS. To be clear, all I mean is that while BMS grades are the single most important factor for CMS admissions, MCAT/LORs/Interview still matter to a certain degree.

I'm not talking about what it takes to get into BMS. I'm talking about what happens afterward, when you are applying to CMS. To be clear, all I mean is that while BMS grades are the single most important factor for CMS admissions, MCAT/LORs/Interview still matter to a certain degree.

That link I gave was from CMS admissions, not BMS. It says: 'No, we do not have a minimum GPA or MCAT score to be considered for admission'. I just find it very discouraging to think/imagine that BMS would admit students into the program knowing that they had an MCAT below an undisclosed cutoff for CMS admissions consideration thus preventing linkage immediately after completion of BMS.

I'm debating whether or not I should retake the MCAT because my MCAT is slightly below the average MCAT for CMS matriculants but at the average of BMS matriculants. I was just thinking of focusing on my ECs - if it even matters - since they are a bit lackluster.

Its a a clean slate for your GPA. I think it also diminishes the importance of the MCAT a bit, seeing as how there are some people with mid 20s scores that are admitted, but the MCAT is still important. One thing the BMS committee expressed to us at the start of the year is that the CMS committee trusts the judgement of the BMS committee. You wouldn't be a BMS student if they didn't think you were capable of being successful and fitting in at the school. Every BMS student has a chance to matriculate into CMS.

I hope this is true. I'd be really discouraged if I enrolled into the BMS program, got great grades, had a reasonably good interview then be told that I am not admitted because of my MCAT.

I'd be really discouraged if I enrolled into the BMS program, got great grades, had a reasonably good interview then be told that I am not admitted because of my MCAT.

This is exactly how I feel. I know linkage is typically around 50-60%, but how many of those people make good grades and then don't get in because of this?

Like others, I am really interested in the RFU BMS program because of its strong linkage. I am concerned though about the cost, and whether its worth it. Are loans the only option.. anyone know how the financial aid package usually is?

Last edited:
Hello All,

I wanted to know what my chances are of getting into RFUMS..
Stats: cGPA 3.13, sGPA 2.9 and I have not taken the MCAT or GRE yet. I will say that I had a bad second year due to illness and went up once I recovered; dean's list consistently. I addressed my drop in grades in my PS.
I have almost a decade of healthcare experience. I worked as a clinical lab assistant, a CNA in the ED, a psych tech, and now am a Clinical Research Coordinator at Mass General Hospital in Boston. I have tons of leadership experience and was active on campus during my undergrad years. I also have strong LORs and a good PS.

Thanks!

I know it's early...but has anyone been accepted yet? Or heard back at all?

I just submitted my app last week - hoping to be complete soon.

If we've taking both the MCAT and the GRE, are we required to send one over the other? Can we just submit one of the scores?

Does anyone know if the MCAT weighs more heavily on admission into the BMS program than the GRE?

I don't know which test they value more, but I would assume if your PS is talking about why you want to use the BMS program to get into med school, then maybe they would prefer a MCAT score.

You can submit both scores if you want. But people get in just submitting one. If it was me, if one of the scores isn't great, I would send the other one, but if they are both good, then submit both

If I understand it correctly, all medical schools must have sent out enough acceptance letters by March 30 in order to fill their first year's class. However, from reading past year's threads, only about 15 BMS'ers were accepted to CMS at the end of March, with another wave coming at the end of April. So, if CMS accepts anywhere from 50-70 percent of BMS students, how can there be enough room? Do that many accepted CMS students matriculate to other schools?