Romanian Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fredricus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I wonder if there's anyone in this forum who are attending one of the Romanian med schools or have good knowledge about them. I'm considering studying medicine in RO mainly because of the price-tag and, of course, that the academic standard is at least as good as that in e.g. Polish med schools. The latter, however, I base on hearsay and I would greatly appreciate advice on which schools that are worthwhile, application procedures, student-life in RO and anything else that might be of value.

~Fredricus

Members don't see this ad.

Hey

Perhaps the saying "You get what you pay for" applies. I don't have any knowledge of Polish med schools but after studying in England I found, at first, Romania as a country and University do be well below par. I guess this impression would have been made about anywhere in Eastern Europe.

After a while though, you just have to learn to stop comparing everything and get on with it.

Anyway enough of the life story. The Universities of Bucarest, Cluj Napoca, Timisoara and Iasi are very good universities with history and tradition along with good teaching standards.

These Polish Unis seem a bit overpriced to me and I would advise you to choose the University of Cluj as in my oppinion it provides the best value for money and the city is a real student city.

@Superfraiere

I've heard that the Unis of Cluj and Bucharest are good as well. I don't know anything about Timisoara and Iasi and I'll check them up, thanks for the advise. On the downside of the first two mentioned I've heard that it can be a bit hazardous to stay in these towns. You wouldnt know if the major cities in RO is as dangerous as some say or if one can stay safe by being street-wise?

Regards :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I've lived in Romania for the last 2 years and although obviously as I am a foreign national, the locals try to con me a little, particularly if you are not familiar with the language.

However, Romanians are generally friendly people to foreign students, especially the girls. From my experience, it's not a hostile country like others in Eastern Europe. The people are generally chilled and like to have fun.

Bucharest, being the capital maybe different (Like London in the UK), where people may not be as friendly.

It also depends upon yourself, if you don't look for trouble, keep your head down and study, I think your life will be OK.

Watch out for Land-Lords though.
icon4.gif

@Superfraiere

I've heard that the Unis of Cluj and Bucharest are good as well. I don't know anything about Timisoara and Iasi and I'll check them up, thanks for the advise. On the downside of the first two mentioned I've heard that it can be a bit hazardous to stay in these towns. You wouldnt know if the major cities in RO is as dangerous as some say or if one can stay safe by being street-wise?

Regards :)

Safety is always important!

Hi,
I am a freshman at the Medical School from Bucharest, Carol Davila. First of all, i would like to tell you that many foreigners come to this university for its cheap tuition and costs. Also, as an international student, it's not hard to get in. For us, Romanians, however, it's really hard to get in. Students of medicine are viewed with awe here. That is why, i consider it a good school, being the best here. The teachers are well prepared and ready to give you a hard time.

The main difference from American universities and some Western European ones is that the teachers approach is different. You will not find the "friendly type" teachers. Everyone is really exigent here (guess that's a communist leftover :( ).

Medical career here starts with 6 years of Medical school, followed, or not, by a residency program (preceded by a very hard exam). First 2 years you study mainly in the university, the other 4, called "Clinical years", are spent mainly in hospitals.

Gotta go now, i'll write more.

Hello dear frnd Unemotionalguy...am planning to study in Romania...could you help me?? would like to ask some questions...do you have e-mail or y! or msn msngr??
thx...
Deenszx

hi there
i am looking for cardiology specialization from either cluj or carol because i have heared that these have institute of cardiology.
i am basically looking for interventional and electrophysiological cardiology.
can you help me in anyway in this?
what is the fees structure and balh blah blah.

kind regards
dr riaz a memon

hi there
i am looking for cardiology specialization from either cluj or carol because i have heared that these have institute of cardiology.
i am basically looking for interventional and electrophysiological cardiology.
can you help me in anyway in this?
what is the fees structure and balh blah blah.

kind regards
dr riaz a memon

Try at Timisoara Cardio Institute developt and mentained by former ministry of helth :) , they have it all , and it's national and international for countrys around :

http://www.cardiologie.ro/ - go to departaments
M.

I too have heard that the Cluj Naopaca University is quite good...it's also supposed to be quite competitive.

I graduated the Medical School from Timisoara 2 years ago, and I could say it was a pretty good school, but not so good like it has been in the past… Maybe Cluj it will be a better option than Timisoara or Bucharest. Cluj is a very nice city.
The Cardio institute is very good in Timisoara . I think it will be a good choice.
Now I moved to Belevue, WA and I don't know exactly what to do first. I have transfer my degree for a nursing school, but it needs time. This is why I am thinking if it isn't better to start learning for USMLE exam. If it is someone in my situation too, please let me know, maybe we can share some informations.

Hi,
I'm really confused on which university in Romania to apply for and need someone to give me an insight on them so could anyone who is a student or has studied there pass me their email so my mind is at rest lol, would really appreciate it !

S.