Canadian-Romanian student- Advice wanted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ILO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Romanian-Canadian student (dual citizenship) and I'm thinking of applying to med school in Romania preferably Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Cluj english program. I have a bio degree from a Canadian university and I need help on a number of issues.

1) How hard is it to get into med school in Romania and what are the prospects for returning to Canada or the US in terms of residency? I know it's hard and I have looked at the CARMS reports so anyone with personal experience as an IMG please help

2) What is the current state of Romanian med schools, I know about the corruption in Romania and all that so any info on Cluj would be appreciated.

3) How does Iuliu Hațieganu University of Medicine and Pharmacy compare to other Romanian med schools and other schools (US, Carib, Canadian) in terms of quality of education, clinical rotations?

4) Is it possible to fund your own education once there? I know it's 5000 euros per year which isn't nearly as much as Canadian/US/Carib school but still expensive, does the university provide employment for students like TA'ing? Also what are job prospects like for students there? Would I be able to earn 5000 euros a year working?

5) I have a lot of leadership experience and hospital volunteer experience, is that something they take into consideration? Would my bio degree be a help?

Anyone that has any info please comment and enlighten me! Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.