RN to MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

showbiz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anymone know how an RN can go quickly to a MD???

Thanks,

Sara

Members don't see this ad.

showbiz said:
Does anymone know how an RN can go quickly to a MD???

Thanks,

Sara

Yeah, four years of medical school plus a three-year minimum of residency. Look at it this way, 7 years is a pretty short amount of time... at least in a cosmological sense.

:laugh:

-Skip

P.S. Sorry, if you actually want a medical license that you can use in the U.S. and to be able to legally call yourself "doctor", there are no shortcuts.

If you're not doing it for the title but for the type of work... look into NP... it's a growing field with growing potentials... as a nurse your just two years from that degree... I hear NP's can open up their own practices in some parts of the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
boogaking said:
If you're not doing it for the title but for the type of work... look into NP... it's a growing field with growing potentials... as a nurse your just two years from that degree... I hear NP's can open up their own practices in some parts of the country.

in arizona they can be sole practice folks and open up offices,etc.

Sara,
What this means, without all the sarcasm, is that you must still take the pre-medical courses such as OChem, etc..and go through the usual application to medical school. The only shortcut I can think of, is if you are a BSN, so that already having a 4 year degree you only need those classes as post bacc, along with taking the MCAT, etc. If your grades were very good through a four year program, the pre-med prereqs may be all you require before applying to medical school. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. :)