Learning the Game of Ross MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please refrain from the name calling and keep this thread civil.

It's ok @Winged Scapula I'm sure he/she didn't mean it. I don't get how calling me names does anything for this thread? lol

Members don't see this ad.

It's ok @Winged Scapula I'm sure he/she didn't mean it. I don't get how calling me names does anything for this thread? lol
I have to agree with you. He shouldn't have lost his cool. That being said like I said your comment(s) haven't exactly added new and insightful information to the thread. Additionally, they were a bit off topic. I would like to get back onto the topic of the thread, which is about how to navigate succeeding at Ross/other Caribbean MD schools. I am assuming the original topic is regarding the first 2 years of schooling. If anyone else has to add the same info of ...retaking your MCAT and keep trying then its s mute point. Lets move on and discuss the topic at hand.

This is one of the last times I personally will address this specific topic, but it has and will for the foreseeable future always make sense to do proper cost/benefit analysis when making these life changing decisions. Going to med school PERIOD is a tough decision and going to a school abroad is risky. People need to make their own decisions and at least try to get into schools domestically. That being said domestic schools aren't an option for everyone. I personally met a few neurologists and surgeons from Ross. So yes it is possible and you obviously need to work your butt off no matter what...you are at the end of the day in med school after all. Medicine is somewhat of a universal language though. Hence why you need to pass the same test, and for most schools train in the same hospitals. Remember med school is only the beginning of your training. Just finishing school isn't enough.

I am not going to name names or anything like that. I am just sick of rehashing the same points. It isn't an option for everyone. The caribbean isn't the best choice for everyone...but it does suit some people. The people that succeed. GREAT good for them. I may end up being one of them. I still am going through my pre reqs and GPA improvements. That being said I don't want to end up being age 35 (not even close right now) and still trying to get in domestically. If we are talking about continuing to try to get into school some people who end up trying to get in will try 3-4 times and still fail... When they should have just either decided it wasn't for them or tried a different way. Doing the same thing over and over and getting the same result or similar (not my case I am a career switcher from economics) is just insane.

Reactions: 1 users
I am just sick of rehashing the same points.

It's a noble thought, but roughly 90% of the posts on this forum are rehashing the same points over and over again. Determining whether that's from a combination of the poor search features of SDN, incompetence/willful ignorance on the part of OPs, or just sheer laziness I'll leave as an exercise up to the reader.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a noble thought, but roughly 90% of the posts on this forum are rehashing the same points over and over again. Determining whether that's from a combination of the poor search features of SDN, incompetence/willful ignorance on the part of OPs, or just sheer laziness I'll leave as an exercise up to the reader.

... and naked, unbridled narcissistic insecurity. (You forgot that one.)

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Wasn't the point of this thread to discuss how to succeed at Ross? Why do you all default to the dead, old beaten horse of DO vs Carib...
Thank you for the post. I'll start this fall and am really looking forward to it!

Wasn't the point of this thread to discuss how to succeed at Ross? Why do you all default to the dead, old beaten horse of DO vs Carib...
Thank you for the post. I'll start this fall and am really looking forward to it!

Please don't do it. What are your stats, MCAT and Ecs?

EDIT: IF you are a US CITIZEN... do NOT go to the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Please don't do it. What are your stats, MCAT and Ecs?
See this is exactly what I mean. The guy is all happy about the fact that he is going to start. You are trying to put him down and dictate what he should do. I am pretty sure he has done his due diligence. He chose this for a good reason for him. Why not wish him luck. Be happy for the guy/girl. They have a tough journey ahead. They have probably had a tough journey to this point so far.

I may end up going down there. Not because its my first choice but because of a combination of things. I am upgrading my grades. I am a career changer (different major) I don't know if I can afford to go to school for another 4 years TRYING to get into school and then end up failing to get in only to figure out I should have gone the abroad route.

I will try domestically but where I live (Canada) people with 3.7-3.8s and 30-32 MCATs get denied.....Doesn't mean that person wouldn't make a great doctor or shouldn't look into other areas. So please stop trying to troll here.. If you don't have anything to add and or you have nothing positive to say then scram.

Good luck man. Let us know how it goes and keep us posted.

Reactions: 1 user
See this is exactly what I mean. The guy is all happy about the fact that he is going to start. You are trying to put him down and dictate what he should do. I am pretty sure he has done his due diligence. He chose this for a good reason for him. Why not wish him luck. Be happy for the guy/girl. They have a tough journey ahead. They have probably had a tough journey to this point so far.

I may end up going down there. Not because its my first choice but because of a combination of things. I am upgrading my grades. I am a career changer (different major) I don't know if I can afford to go to school for another 4 years TRYING to get into school and then end up failing to get in only to figure out I should have gone the abroad route.

I will try domestically but where I live (Canada) people with 3.7-3.8s and 30-32 MCATs get denied.....Doesn't mean that person wouldn't make a great doctor or shouldn't look into other areas. So please stop trying to troll here.. If you don't have anything to add and or you have nothing positive to say then scram.

You ARE CANADIAN. CARIB IS NOT A BAD OPTION FOR YOU FOLKS. It's a different game for citizens from the US. If he is a US CITIZEN.... he SHOULD NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN. Simple. I am not telling him what to do. I could care less what folks from Canada do... your guys' schooling system is super competitive and there are so few schools that it is NOT UNHEARD OF to send you guys out to other countries... like England... India... Russia... especially the Caribbean... to pursue your medical education...I personally know people from Canada that have done that.

If he is a US citizen... then PLEASEEEE do NOT GO.

If he's a Canadian... then sure... good work. It'll be an ok option for you since you will most likely end up back in Canada if that is what you want.

No need to come for me and try to paint me out to be a bad guy when I am trying to make peoples' lives here much easier and talk them through a successful application cycle.

Last edited:
You ARE CANADIAN. CARIB IS NOT A BAD OPTION FOR YOU FOLKS. It's a different game for citizens from the US. If he is a US CITIZEN.... he SHOULD NOT GO TO THE CARIBBEAN. Simple. I am not telling him what to do. I could care less what folks from Canada do... your guys' schooling system is super competitive and there are so few schools that it is NOT UNHEARD OF to send you guys out to other countries... like England... India... Russia... especially the Caribbean... to pursue your medical education...I personally know people from Canada that have done that.

If he's a Canadian... then sure... good work. It'll be an ok option for you since you will most likely end up back in Canada if that is what you want.

No need to come for me and try to paint me out to be a bad guy when I am trying to make peoples' lives here much easier and talk them through a successful application cycle.
I just want you to know. I am not painting you as a villain at all. I certainly hope you do not feel as though I have done this.

I do not fully disagree with you either. I have stated a couple of times. The man/woman needs to do all he can to stay domestically. The reason I have pointed out your comments is simply because it is a point that has been made a lot of times before. Even when you go to information sessions at this schools they even say to you. If you can get into a US school....DON'T COME HERE. So They are very honest with each person applying and say look its possible. The numbers look decent....BUT you have to work hard and if you aren't willing to put in the work you will waste time, money, and energy.

lol? Being Canadian is even worse to try and match from CaRMS via the Carribean route... you're better off going to Australia or Ireland.

Some people really can talk about of their ass.

lol? Being Canadian is even worse to try and match from CaRMS via the Carribean route... you're better off going to Australia or Ireland.

Some people really can talk about of their ass.

My bad for not knowing everything about the education system of Canada besides how you guys only have a limited number of schools and can't accommodate many kids. FWIW i did mention other countries... sorry for skipping out those two.

Appreciate the attack though! Shocking to me there are people like you really becoming doctors? lolz

My bad for not knowing everything about the education system of Canada besides how you guys only have a limited number of schools and can't accommodate many kids. FWIW i did mention other countries... sorry for skipping out those two.

Appreciate the attack though! Shocking to me there are people like you really becoming doctors? lolz

A Caribbean grad matches at ~15-20% via CaRMS. Couple that with the fact that many residency programs will reject our app because they don't wanna go through the visa process. But i do get the gist of your post. Our options for medical schools at home are relatively "limited" compared to an American. Other options do exists like UK/Ireland/Aus etc. but it's no cakewalk to get into those either. I'd definitely try all those options over Caribbean as a Canadian.

A Caribbean grad matches at ~15-20% via CaRMS. Couple that with the fact that many residency programs will reject our app because they don't wanna go through the visa process. But i do get the gist of your post. Our options for medical schools at home are relatively "limited" compared to an American. Other options do exists like UK/Ireland/Aus etc. but it's no cakewalk to get into those either. I'd definitely try all those options over Caribbean as a Canadian.

I think you meant visa for US match right? This is true. But i must say, j1 is very easy for programs to offer - and most do.

Biggest worry is health Canada limiting the statement of needs further for J1. This is why i always recommend USMD/USDO over other IMG options because then you can opt for H1B much much more easily.

lol caribbean is probably worse for Canadians than US citizens in terms of matching. They rarely match to Canada and iirc Canada has recently made it harder for IMGs and DOs to match there. And when they try to match to the US they have the problem of not being a US citizen along with being from the caribbean. Not saying they cant match, many do just that it is harder not easier.

I think you meant visa for US match right? This is true. But i must say, j1 is very easy for programs to offer - and most do.

Biggest worry is health Canada limiting the statement of needs further for J1. This is why i always recommend USMD/USDO over other IMG options because then you can opt for H1B much much more easily.

Isnt US DO now considered IMG in Canada?

Isnt US DO now considered IMG in Canada?
Yes in most provinces, but that had nothing to do with the post I was commenting about.

USDO is still a far better option for the average applicant going for the US match. Which most people should be, given how competitive and restrictive carms is.

lol caribbean is probably worse for Canadians than US citizens in terms of matching. They rarely match to Canada and iirc Canada has recently made it harder for IMGs and DOs to match there. And when they try to match to the US they have the problem of not being a US citizen along with being from the caribbean. Not saying they cant match, many do just that it is harder not easier.

Which is why I mentioned alternative countries where they can go to pursue their medical education... these include England, Russia, Australia... etc.