RN to MD, with following stats...possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mug22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently working as an RN in canada and want to go to med school. thing is, my gpa out of nursing school is 3.0c with last 2 years at 3.7, but due to general ****ary the first year and the 2nd year damage control the best i have is a 3.0 with a strong upward trend in the last 2 years.

I'm also going to be volunteering for red cross and am currently studying for the mcat.

is there any chance for me to attend med school here in canada? i know mcmasters minimum gpa requirement is 3.0 but is that really enough?

Members don't see this ad.

For McMaster its definitely not enough, if you look at premed101 the average person getting an interview at Mac has a 3.8+ cumulative GPA along with a 10 or 11 in the MCAT VR. Mac looks at 1/3rd GPA, 1/3rd MCAT and 1/3rd CASPer, The only way I could see someone with a 3.0 cumulative GPA getting in would be to score amazing on the VR of the MCAT 14+ and a very high CASPer score.

It sort of depends on which province you are from. There isn't really any hope if you are from Ontario barring doing another undergraduate degree. I know some schools that are willing to drop your lowest year or lowest courses if you qualify for weighting but they also tend to have pre-reqs which I'm not sure if you would meet with a nursing degree and they tend to still mainly accept people with 3.9+ GPAs and 34+ MCATs.

Not sure if you've thought about NP? I believe McMaster has a NP program.

You may have a chance with Western and Queen's with the best two years and most recent two years GPA's, respectively, though you need to have very high MCAT to compensate for the lower GPA's.

If you don't mind studying in the US, you might have a chance with USMD or USDO schools. With USMD, you will need to complete a post-bacc with stellar performance. With USDO, you will want to retake some courses to boost your GPAs to above 3.25 at least. Having said that though, your best bet now is US DO schools. US MD or Canadians schools are most likely a crap shot; even with a high MCAT, it's hard to remediate the 3.0 cGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may have a chance with Western and Queen's with the best two years and most recent two years GPA's, respectively, though you need to have very high MCAT to compensate for the lower GPA's.

If you don't mind studying in the US, you might have a chance with USMD or USDO schools. With USMD, you will need to complete a post-bacc with stellar performance. With USDO, you will want to retake some courses to boost your GPAs to above 3.25 at least. Having said that though, your best bet now is US DO schools. US MD or Canadians schools are most likely a crap shot; even with a high MCAT, it's hard to remediate the 3.0 cGPA.

thanks for the reply. how probable is a high mcat? with 8 months of intense studying i believe its possible since the material covered is at a grade 12 level. am I mistaken?

thanks for the reply. how probable is a high mcat? with 8 months of intense studying i believe its possible since the material covered is at a grade 12 level. am I mistaken?
It really depends on your own familiarities with the content. The new MCAT will test general chemistry, organic chemistry, physics, biology, biochemistry, social sciences, and verbal reasoning. The level and amount of content are more at the undergraduate level, not grade 12. From my personal and other's experience, studying for 8 months is setting yourself up for burn out; most people study for a maximum of 4 months. It's better that you have taken the courses mentioned above and study these materials as a sort of review.