US MD to CAN Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catzndogz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming M1 at a US MD school, and a dual Canada/US citizen. I am investigating the process of completing my residency in Canada after completing my MD. How do I go about doing this, and what would I need to be competitive with Canadian-trained MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an incoming M1 at a US MD school, and a dual Canada/US citizen. I am investigating the process of completing my residency in Canada after completing my MD. How do I go about doing this, and what would I need to be competitive with Canadian-trained MDs?

I would like to piggy back on this question. I'm in the same position, except I am a Canadian citizen only.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @NewCanadian, this list of resources is helpful, but I was particularly looking for strategies at increasing my competitiveness to participate in CaRMS. Ie, how important are "international" rotations done in Canada, and how many should I strive to do? How many and what types of recommendation letters matter for residency PMs?

If you want to match in Canada, you better bet your sweet a$$ you should do some Canadian electives. Especially if you want anything other than FM, even if FM in a big city.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied from the US as a Canadian PR for FM residency a few years ago.
I was a top notch applicant in the US. In BC, I got zero invites.
Letters from electives in Canada might have helped.

I would like to piggy back on this question. I'm in the same position, except I am a Canadian citizen only.

Although I don't know the process well enough at this point, my understanding is exactly what the others have said here. You need to do some aways in Canada (generally 4th year in a US MD program is quite flexible, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do) - Canadian schools don't have the equivalent of Step 1 to use in their consideration of applicants, so having connections can make a big difference. I think that many/most US MD schools are equivalent in training to their Canadian counterparts, so I think you'll be OK. Make sure to write the MCCQE1 in your 4th year however (my understanding is that it's quite similar to USMLE Step 2CK).

Its definitely doable, even for the most competitive of specialties. They want the best students, so if you can present yourself as such, you will match.