Advice on Applying to Schools in Canada and Possibly US schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShotoKar5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me any advice. I'm currently a 3rd year neuroscience student and I'm just trying to set up realistic expectations for myself for applying for medical school. (Apologies for the longish post)

I haven't done as well as I would have liked to with GPA as my cGPA is sitting at around a 3.5 before I get my most recent semester marks in. I did about a 3.65 average in first year and my last semester but did lower in 2nd year. I'm planning on taking the MCAT this summer and have a lot of GPA boosters and easier classes for next year that I'm hoping to do close to 4.0 in and I also have my honour thesis. I have 3 years experience in MRI research and am looking to have at least one paper published before the end of the year and have a diverse background with international sports competitions and art competitions. I have also won scholarships to go to research conferences in Europe.

I would say my extracurricular experience is not bad so far, with some more experience in the medical field needed such as job shadowing and such but what I am really worried about is my GPA. I would really like to stick in Canada to do medical school but with the very competitive GPA's I'm not sure if I'm thinking realistically. Is it possible that if I do somewhat good on the MCAT I might have some chance at medical schools in Canada?

I am thinking about doing grad school because I have really enjoyed working in my lab since I have been in undergrad so I wouldn't be super disappointed if I didn't get into medical school my first try after my degree but it would be nice to also know if people think that the experience in grad school would help, if I applied again in the future.

I guess my main question is whether anyone has got into a Canadian university with that average and what I could do to improve my application if it's not? I would also be open to going to United States schools too if I might have a better chance there and recommendations would be awesome!

Anyway, I truly appreciate any help with this as I'm trying to cheer myself up that all is not lost because I truly, truly want to become a doctor no matter the sacrifices I have to make. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Different schools across Canada will place a different weight on the various parts of your application. Some schools expect the MCAT merely as a formality, others look at it with great interest. McMaster traditionally weighed your biographical material (essays, CV, reference letters) equally with your grades; don't know if that's still the case.

Grad school never hurts, and publications will always be prized. Some of my classmates were tidying up their thesis work when they started in the MD program.

If you find yourself bitten by the research bug, don't rule out MD-PhD programs. You'd obviously have to finish your Master's first, but MD-PhD applications are treated differently than applications for MD only, and would likely render your anxieties about your undergrad GPA moot.

Thanks FlamBroiledDoc, that's great advice! I was definitely considering a MD-PhD program because I am very interested in the research side of things as well. How exactly do they weigh those applications/treat them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks FlamBroiledDoc, that's great advice! I was definitely considering a MD-PhD program because I am very interested in the research side of things as well. How exactly do they weigh those applications/treat them?

That I couldn't tell you, because I've been away from that world for too long. It's quite possible - but don't quote me on it - that MD-PhD admission spots lie outside the school's government-mandated class size. Best thing to do is ask, starting with your supervisor or the faculty contact of your school's MD-PhD program, and checking websites. Best of luck!

Varies by school-you really need to go through the website of each one and see how you fit their criteria