Rho Chi - are you in it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's the deal. Students who have to work to support themselves will not have the highest GPAs. I could take out more loan money or beg my parents for money, but either way, the money has to come from somewhere.

This is my rationale:
If I take out less than it costs to go to pharm school, I will save thousands of dollars when I graduate.
If I take out more than it costs to go to pharm school, I will have a higher GPA.

I don't think it's worth the extra money for a higher GPA. My GPA is 3.45 right now, and from the way this semester is going, my GPA will go up to 3.5+. It's not good enough for Rho Chi, but I'm 100% satisfied with it, especially because I always work 20-25hrs/week during school and 30+/week during breaks.

I take out less than I need to cover tuition, usually $500-700/semester. At the end of four years, I'll have to pay back $4000-5600 less(not including the cost of interest) than what I would have to pay if I had taken out the full amount for tuition.

Half of my loan money is privately funded, and the interest rate is outrageous. For private loans, the interest builds while you're in school. For some unfortunate reason, we're still considered undergrad students until our P3 year--> I have to take out private loans now, because I've already exceeded the federal loan limit for undergrad students. Next year, I want to take out the maximum amount for a grad student; I think it's $33,000/year. That way, I can shave off $15,000 of private loan debt and substitute it with federally-fund debt.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're a pin collector, I guess it would be important...

What is the point of Rho Chi anyway?

Oh yeah. "Look at me--I have a high GPA."

Sorta like wearing the stupid National Honor Society cord at high school graduation.

Scary how Pharmacy school and high school are similar.

meh, I'm a big pin and graduation rope collector. I didn't get in this semester with a 3.7 GPA. Set sail for fail.
kekekegay-2.gif

I guess there is always PLS, but that should be saved for another thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the deal. Students who have to work to support themselves will not have the highest GPAs. I could take out more loan money or beg my parents for money, but either way, the money has to come from somewhere.

I worked 20 hours a week and sat in very back row, missed classes, and was in rho chi. My GPA was 3.96. I think the cutoff was somewhere around 3.85
Not that Im bragging but I do have mad cramming skills.

Hey but did it get me anything... no... I didn't even go to the meetings. It was just an honor society, big deal.
Now I work as a night pharmacist at CVS. Did my grades help me get this job... hell know... I took it because I like the week off and the less craziness of night phamacist work. I actually can sit down and eat a lunch for an hour or more.

I worked 20 hours a week and sat in very back row, missed classes, and was in rho chi. My GPA was 3.96. I think the cutoff was somewhere around 3.85
Not that Im bragging but I do have mad cramming skills.

Hey but did it get me anything... no... I didn't even go to the meetings. It was just an honor society, big deal.

Now I work as a night pharmacist at CVS. Did my grades help me get this job... hell know... I took it because I like the week off and the less craziness of night phamacist work. I actually can sit down and eat a lunch for an hour or more.
Every rule has its exception.

Rho Chi's a good thing to be associated with, but a good pharmacist's a good pharmacist and many are not in Rho Chi. I know a few Rho Chi folks, who if I saw behind the counter, I'd run the other way to fill my Rxs... Cause some folks just have no hand-eye coordination except for scan-tron exams :laugh:.

I was Phi beta Kappa at an Ivy League college, with high honors and everything else, and I couldn't even get a job until I started pharmacy school. If anything, a lot of folks could be turned off to the academic types. I've chilled a lot more in pharm school and went for the B's, and it's not a big deal, and I'm a lot more well-rested for work. Take home message: Rho Chi (and other honor societies) doesn't make the pharmacist, the pharmacist makes Rho Chi. Just do what you do and keep doing it. Because you can't rest on your laurels, either way.

I was wondering what was your GPA when you entered this honor society. Is Rho Chi even important?

thanks

Rho Chi is nice to have and does signify an accomplishment (a high GPA), but it isn't that important, its just another honor society. Being in it might help you land a competitive residency, although its by no means an automatic in.

If you get an invite, take it. If not, don't worry. The best way to distinguish yourself as a good pharmacist in any practice setting is by doing good pharmacy. And you've got the rest of your career to work on that.

C is no longer a passing grade for pharmacy school now.... My school's new policy is 2.5, which is at least a B- something....

Rho Chi....I had forgotten all about that. I guess I should add it to my resume next time I go job hunting. I don't even remember my college GPA, around 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale). No, I can't say anybody has ever cared that I was in Rho Chi. We had a "secret" induction ceremony, that was about as exciting as a drug-company sponsored CE dinner. And that's all I know about Rho Chi.

I got invited to this one. I'm thinking about joining it... I exemplify good character :D Less hype too --> :thumbup:

I am now a Rho CHi member officially!

I almost have to apoligize that I got in.

I hate to tell others because of the negative feedback.

At least, I am not one of the ones that can only use the info on a test.
I can apply the knowledge.

Still looks good on paper though!

BTW, 3.94 GPA cutoff was high 3.8's