Why aren't there medicated lollipops available OTC to relieve mouth sores in children with hand, foot, and mouth disease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asher88

Reaction score
I'm a pharmacist with very little retail experience, so please bear with me. I have a two-year-old who attends daycare, and HFMD is very common, so I'm wondering why there isn't an OTC medicated lollipop. I believe there are compounded products, such as tetracaine lollipops but require RX and compounding. There are OTC throat lozenges but typically not used for the same indication and do not help. Is it because certain ingredients, such as benzocaine, can be harmful to children? Is there a reason why this type of marketed product does not exist? Can someone ELI5?

Members don't see this ad.

Oral anesthetics have historically had a real problem with adverse effects from misuse in children. Oral absorption of anesthetics can be a lot more significant than people think and toxicity can be severe. Baby Orajel no longer contains any benzocaine and even menthol cough drops aren't labeled for under 5 or 6. We still get the occasional case of toxicity from parents using orajel with benzocaine for teething.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was a pediatric ICU pharmacist for over 10 years.
True, oral anesthetics are a serious problem with misuse or over use. Especially with children.

The reason any drug is classified as Legend vs OTC is not due to safety/efficacy but the manufacturers preference. The FDA will go along with whatever the Drug Company decides.

One of the cooler tox cases I've seen was a 70 something year old with Methemoglobinemia from using Hurricaine spray q1h for his sore throat
that is why we removed it from formulary probably a decade ago