Rho Chi - are you in it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacology888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what was your GPA when you entered this honor society. Is Rho Chi even important?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rho Chi is overrated. Straight C pharmacists are some of the best pharmacists you will ever encounter.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. **** no.

I never really saw any difference between Rho Chi and Slow Chi members in practice. I'll never forget my next to last rotation at internal medicine. I'm there with *two* members of Rho Chi and I outclass one of them and was on the same level with the other one. I'm a dude that was f'n held back half a year and I'm schooling these people left and right. Our preceptor gives up this TPN to dose from scratch. She tells us it'll take 15 minutes or so to figure it out. 2 minutes later I'm done and the Rho Chi kids were still working when 15 minutes went by. The preceptor comes in and says, "Wow, Mike, that was fast." "I'm like, I've been done for 10 minutes." The Rho Chi kids give me the stink eye like I've never seen before.

I also liked their faces when I used medicinal chemistry off the top of my head to deduce which opioids would likely show a cross-sensitivity with morphine. :laugh:

I'm the resident champion of useless pharmacy information....I think...too bad none of it is useful...unless weird **** happens....then I'll figure it out for you...

I was in it....not sure I would classify it as being important. I did get to wear some sweet purple ropes at graduation though. My GPA was probably around where it was when I finished, 3.8.

Funny thing, I tried much less than the proud "C's are sufficient, we get the same degree anyway" students in my class. Pretty pathetic. For them.

If you're a pin collector, I guess it would be important...

What is the point of Rho Chi anyway?

Oh yeah. "Look at me--I have a high GPA."

Sorta like wearing the stupid National Honor Society cord at high school graduation.

Scary how Pharmacy school and high school are similar.

Our preceptor gives up this TPN to dose from scratch. She tells us it'll take 15 minutes or so to figure it out. 2 minutes later I'm done and the Rho Chi kids were still working when 15 minutes went by. The preceptor comes in and says, "Wow, Mike, that was fast." "I'm like, I've been done for 10 minutes." The Rho Chi kids give me the stink eye like I've never seen before.

I also liked their faces when I used medicinal chemistry off the top of my head to deduce which opioids would likely show a cross-sensitivity with morphine. :laugh:

Well, some would say it is an advantage to have an extra six months to figure it all out. You're like the kids in my class who failed a year who sat in the front of the class the SECOND time around acting as if they now all of the sudden get it and are really grasping the material.

"No **** you ****ing idiot, you should know the answer, you've already been here once before!!!" is what I would scream under my breath over and over.

Is it important?...naah. What's important is that you feel comfortable with the material; and if Rho Chi just comes as a result of that...good for you! It's kinda nice when you stumble into it without trying...and don't take yourself so seriously.

People that succeed have ambition and drive...and ask the right questions. We're all smart enough to find the answer.

Well, some would say it is an advantage to have an extra six months to figure it all out.

You may be right. Though I'm not sure what I would have "gotten" in those six months. I pretty much just sat around, played video games, and let my brain rot.

You're like the kids in my class who failed a year who sat in the front of the class the SECOND time around acting as if they now all of the sudden get it and are really grasping the material.

"No **** you ****ing idiot, you should know the answer, you've already been here once before!!!" is what I would scream under my breath over and over.

I could see that....but it's not like I went on rotations twice, ya know....

Usually at this point I'd get all snippy and insult your mother...but, man...I got this weird, nice calm feeling right now. I just want happiness and peace....wtf is wrong with me? I feel kinda like the dude in office space after he saw the shrink....

Shouldn't you be getting a job or something?

I was in it...did it make a difference? Probably not...maybe for residency stuff, but not for jobs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm the resident champion of useless pharmacy information....I think...too bad none of it is useful...unless weird **** happens....then I'll figure it out for you...

Well, okay then. But from the perspective of an educated adult who is a professional in a field other tan pharmacy..... that's wy we need people like you to be around. I don't honestly give a flying fig if Rho Chi Guy can tell me the chemical composition of this drug versus that other one, I want you to tell me why I get lightheaded when I take that one, but it's better than the gut-splitting pain I'll get from that other one over there (the cheaper one).

I think that you'll be able to get that information to me in a much more understandable way than Rho Chi Guy.

Well, okay then. But from the perspective of an educated adult who is a professional in a field other tan pharmacy..... that's wy we need people like you to be around. I don't honestly give a flying fig if Rho Chi Guy can tell me the chemical composition of this drug versus that other one, I want you to tell me why I get lightheaded when I take that one, but it's better than the gut-splitting pain I'll get from that other one over there (the cheaper one).

I think that you'll be able to get that information to me in a much more understandable way than Rho Chi Guy.

To be fair, membership in Rho Chi and ability to communicate with patients is not mutually exclusive. There were members of Rho Chi that were flat out down to Earth, unpretentious, and very approachable by patients.

Though I actually am pretty good at making extravagant and easy to understand analogies to explain how **** works.

i have a 3.7 gpa and i was not invited into rho chi. the guy who is in charge of it at my pharm school had my gpa as a 3.0. i corrected him but at that point i dont think he wanted to "admit" a mistake and let me in.

it is just a club anyways. who cares. none of that is important.

they haven't done the invites for our class yet. I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be getting in.

they haven't done the invites for our class yet. I think it's pretty safe to say I won't be getting in.

dont worry about it man. i am in a bunch of other honor societies. it does NOTHING for you career wise. does it matter that I can pay 50 dollar member fees to MENSA? i used to do a lot of high iq societies in my undergrad.

when you send your resume nobody cares about that. it is all "what skills do you have, who do you know, what is your experience" that is all.

who do you know does a lot more.

Back Row Chi all the way! :laugh: I highly doubt that I'll make it into Rho Chi. They only allow 10 people per class (it's decided on during the Spring semester of our P2 year). But it's OK - as others have mentioned, it's just another club, and I'm certainly active in enough as it is (which might be one of the reasons that I won't be making Rho Chi).

dont worry about it man. i am in a bunch of other honor societies. it does NOTHING for you career wise. does it matter that I can pay 50 dollar member fees to MENSA? i used to do a lot of high iq societies in my undergrad.

when you send your resume nobody cares about that. it is all "what skills do you have, who do you know, what is your experience" that is all.

who do you know does a lot more.

oh I'm not worried. I openly admit on here all the time that I have something in the 3.0-3.1 range.

good for you if you want to work that hard for your grades. even better if you don't have to work that hard for them. Just remember that I study 10% of what some of these people do, and only score about 10% lower than they do on exams. (I'm an 87-88 B student, not an 81. Sometimes I do wish they did the +/- system, but overall it doesn't matter.)

So when does Rho Chi actually start inducting people or telling you if you are in or not? We've heard nothing at my school.

It's after the first three semesters at UMB. Invitations go out, I think Februaryish timeframe.

at UNM (4-year school) it's your first 5 semesters. They'll tell 3rd years sometime this spring.

Rho Chi also doubles as a way to get list of people you can bum good notes off of.

Hate to make my first post here such a negative tone but you sound very bitter. Go calm yourself, have a cup of tea and stop being a negative *****.

Does that mean WVU just got served, literally?

Hate to make my first post here such a negative tone but you sound very bitter. Go calm yourself, have a cup of tea and stop being a negative *****.

I didn't see his comment as negative at all... Are you overly reading into things?

Aren't there special opportunities for Rho Chi memebers that may not fall upon non members though? Just curious...

Aren't there special opportunities for Rho Chi memebers that may not fall upon non members though? Just curious...

You get to tutor people in the classes below you. And you are instantly identified as a person to get good notes off of. I'd imagine that it would look good on a residency app....maybe...I dunno...

I was in Rho Chi. I got in with a 3.75 GPA. I am not sure how it works in other schools, but I think they only take the top twenty percent in the class at the start of the P3 year. As a student, I didn't find that I was granted many opportunities. Just another meeting to attend during lunch time. If you like to do charity drives and organize booths in fairs and sell pointless things no one in our class needs for fundraising, then it's all for you. Obviously, it looks good on a residency application, though. But if it's the retail setting in which you desire to practice, then forget it! Don't waste your time and energy. Any ***** with a Pharm D can get that job.

Sad but true

Rho Chi is overrated. Straight C pharmacists are some of the best pharmacists you will ever encounter.

i thought a C in pharmacy school wasnt a passing grade... correct me if im wrong

It is everywhere I've heard of. At least that's what the C = PharmD™ peeps say. ;)

Please ask for a written authorization to use the trademarked phrase before you use it.

This is Epic.. you foo!

epicfj2.jpg

back row chi all the way!!:love:

I was a member of Back Row Chi and Rho Chi. They are not mutually exclusive. I have always been a back-row sitter, I like to people watch.

To be fair, membership in Rho Chi and ability to communicate with patients is not mutually exclusive. There were members of Rho Chi that were flat out down to Earth, unpretentious, and very approachable by patients.

Though I actually am pretty good at making extravagant and easy to understand analogies to explain how **** works.

SDN has several Pharmacy related shirts available, including WVU's.

You'll find "Lo Chi" and "Rx rated" shirts in the store, plus other stuff.

I was a member of Back Row Chi and Rho Chi. They are not mutually exclusive. I have always been a back-row sitter, I like to people watch.

I could never sit in the back row because I'm way too easily distracted. I'm a people watcher too and would forever be checking out what everybody is wearing and who the latest couples are in the class etc etc. :laugh:

To answer the original question, I'm in Rho Chi. They started taking people after our 5th semester I think. Definitely don't have a 4.0 or anything like that, but somehow I managed to be in the top 15% or whatever it is. I by no means studied all the time and never studied on the weekends unless we had a big exam on Monday.

Its funny to me that people have a certain idea of what Rho Chi students are like...that they are over-ambitious, nerds, blah, blah. However, I think I shocked everyone in my class when I made Rho Chi. I am far from a nerd. And I was definitely not the person you would ask for notes from. Actually it would be more likely that I would ask for notes from you and not the other way around. And I am not the type of person who could tutor others. I used to skip lectures or I would sit in the back row. I never got much out of lectures. I was just a very good test-taker. I rocked the exams and quizzes. Nothing more, nothing less. So it wasn't that I was smarter than anyone.

In any case, Rho Chi means nothing! Its only bragging rights for superficial people. But it doesn't get you much. It can help with residency. But if you are not a good communicator, it won't matter how good it looks on a CV. Rho Chi doesn't make anybody a better pharmacist.

Well, some would say it is an advantage to have an extra six months to figure it all out. You're like the kids in my class who failed a year who sat in the front of the class the SECOND time around acting as if they now all of the sudden get it and are really grasping the material.

LOLOLOLOL.. that is TOO funny Pria!!! As for me, I don't work hard to try to prove anything to anyone. Simply put, I have standards for myself. Would never intentionally get a C because that's all that's required-- it's funny to joke with friends in class when they ask "Hey, are you getting this?" and I say "Nope, don't need to know that kinda detail in the C's get degree's program", then we share a laugh. I'm on my second semester. A lil upset I didn't make the Dean's list (All A's and a B in a 5 credit hour course = 3.6), but I have plenty more opportunity this time around. Rho Chi is something I want to be apart of. It's kind of alarming the strong opinions from pharmacy professionals denouncing hardwork.. Don't get it sometimes.

Exactly my approach and you went (go for me) to the same school!

We will find out this semester soon. They have the list but have not released it.

I think I will be in with a 3.94 GPA. Might as well be in it, I already tutor my classmates.

As far as it mattering, no not really. We all have to pass the license exam.

But as far as reputation goes, I rather be known as a "smart" person than a "slack ***".

To each their own!

LOLOLOLOL.. that is TOO funny Pria!!! As for me, I don't work hard to try to prove anything to anyone. Simply put, I have standards for myself. Would never intentionally get a C because that's all that's required-- it's funny to joke with friends in class when they ask "Hey, are you getting this?" and I say "Nope, don't need to know that kinda detail in the C's get degree's program", then we share a laugh. I'm on my second semester. A lil upset I didn't make the Dean's list (All A's and a B in a 5 credit hour course = 3.6), but I have plenty more opportunity this time around. Rho Chi is something I want to be apart of. It's kind of alarming the strong opinions from pharmacy professionals denouncing hardwork.. Don't get it sometimes.

I never said a bad word to any of the rho chi people...nor made fun of them. They were my hookup and I appreciated them. Hell, I bought one girl a giant candy bar for giving me notes for an entire year. I find the Rho Chi people useful. If I need notes....they got it. Most of them were nice and humble, too. Good folk, IMO...I just found it odd that I actually tended to know more things than most of them in practice.....don't get me wrong...a few of them actually are on another level. Unless they were talking **** I cared about like pharmacology and medicinal chemistry, I'd just nod and say, "ok." On the other hand, the brightest kid in my class got a 2.8 GPA and is becoming a star on the rotation circuit.