RFU vs. ECU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confused4evr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm conflicted on which of these two to pick. The price difference is significant and I don't want to ruin my future by incurring a huge debt that could've been avoided. In all other aspects, however, I am partial to RFU. I am anxious to leave NC and dislike Greenville and didn't like the school when I interviewed. Almost all ECU students go on to attend residencies in NC. RFU on the other hand will allow me to be near a big city and my SO and I'd have a greater chance of matching in the midwest. I don't know how to prioritize $$ vs. my intense desire to get outta the south. I'd welcome any opinions on this/the schools in general?

Members don't see this ad.

by the sounds of it your already set on Rossy. Take the hit financially if that means your going to be happier for 4 years and end up practicing where you would like to for 10+ years after school.

Man....this is a tough call. ECU is SO cheap. I didn't like it very much there when I interviewed either, and Greenville definitely didn't seem like the place to be, but that price is tempting.

I know you haven't provided numbers, but my guess would be you'd be taking on 80-100k in debt at ECU and 250-300k at RF.

It is hard to put a price on your happiness, but man that MASSIVE debt burden for a school that has had its fair share of accreditation issues and isn't exactly "prestigious" by any means is a pretty big gamble IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For all the reasons ChemEngMD said, go to ECU. I may get heat for this, but I think the accreditation issues mean something, or in the very least signify an issue that you don't want to have to think about when in school. I can't really see any reason for paying a bunch more money to go there.

Or look at it this way: After interest RFU basically costs ECU + a house. Would you buy an additional house - that at no time will build any sort of capital...you know like a real house - to go to RFU?

Thanks everyone. @rfenzo I definitely feel biased against ECU for a lot of reasons and that came out in my original post, but I do have the same issues with RFU as you do. I think if my other option was a school that wasn't on probation, or at least had an affiliated hospital/less frustrating rotation schedule, I'd easily pick it over ECU. RFU specifically makes me hesitate.

I'm still conflicted but I'm starting to see the positives of attending ECU. The price can't be beat and in the long run less debt is potentially what will make me happier.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, I (fortunately) will have some parental help but I could see myself at 80-90k for ECU and 200-250k for RFU.