RFU vs. VTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RFU vs VTC

• RFU

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • VTC

Votes: 14 53.8%

• Total voters

bandwagoner

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I am leaning towards VTC, I can't help but think that I may be overlooking something and I would like to be completely sure before I make a decision! I have offers from RFU and Virginia Tech Carilion, and a wait-list spot at SUNY Downstate and Oakland University. So far, my favorite is Downstate, but since that option isn't on the table right now, I'm trying to determine what is the best choice for me between the others. Medical education likely to be financed through savings/loans.

RFU
Pros
+Great match lists
+Rotations in Chicago provide a lot of great clinical experience
+"Closer" to home.
+More opportunities for SO in Chicago

Cons
-Seems a little bit competitive? Not sure if this is true though..
-Was not particularly impressed by my interview experience
-Seems like not very many research experiences/support from the administration.
-Solid and Straightforward MD Education

VTC
Pros
+Affiliated hospitals seem like a great place for clinical rotations
+Opportunity to do Research at Virginia Tech
+P/F
+I think that this could be an opportunity to have a very intriguing medical education
+Small class size

Cons
-Mostly Rural
-Match list, from what I could see, not a single CA match (being from CA, would of course like an option of coming back)
-Small class size (I know this is a pro and a con! But I could see how it could be a little bit claustrophobic - i.e. professors/classmates notice you're not in class)
-Diversity seems to be a little lacking.

COA-wise, I think that VTC will likely be the cheaper choice, but I am not viewing that as the factor right now since I don't believe that VTC will be significantly cheaper.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
RFU is strictly P/F with no internal rankings
Oh, now I remember that it is p/f for med students and abcd for bms students. Although I did hear something about rankings? Are you sure about the no internal rankings?

Wrong. There is internal ranking. You see this in your dean's letter and it matters for AOA.

Large dogs

According to current RFU M1s, there will no longer be quartiles for the incoming class next Fall. AOA, yes. But no quartiles in the dean's letter.

According to current RFU M1s, there will no longer be quartiles for the incoming class next Fall. AOA, yes. But no quartiles in the dean's letter.

Has the administration said anything about it to applicants? Because historically, there have always been quartiles that have shown up in code words in the dean's letter!

Large dogs

M1 at RFU, just dropping in to say that we are definitely internally ranked. In fact, we received an email from the administration 1-2 weeks ago confirming that as of now ranking is not going anywhere.

M1 at RFU, just dropping in to say that we are definitely internally ranked. In fact, we received an email from the administration 1-2 weeks ago confirming that as of now ranking is not going anywhere.

Apologies, I spent a day at RFU a couple weeks ago and was told the quartile ranking in dean's letter will no longer be implemented for new students next year. Is that ranking system only for current students onward or does it apply to incoming M1s as well?

Apologies, I spent a day at RFU a couple weeks ago and was told the quartile ranking in dean's letter will no longer be implemented for new students next year. Is that ranking system only for current students onward or does it apply to incoming M1s as well?
No problem at all, just didn't want you to be getting wrong information. Were you told by a student that they will no longer be ranking into quartiles? I think there was quite a bit of confusion among students as to whether and how they ranked which prompted the email from administration. In the email, they said that historically they have ranked in quartiles and explained how rankings lead to junior AOA etc. They said this may change in the future, but this is the system as of now. Honestly, even if they do somewhat change how they rank down the road, I think it's very unlikely they will get rid of it altogether.

lol i realized this is from last cycle. Sorry!