RFU AP program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smoniczka

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This website is absolutely great and I’ve taken a lot of advice from the many threads posted. So, here is my question. I just found out that I got accepted to the RFU AP program. I’m very excited and am planning on attending. I have also been planning to retake my MCAT this August. I think the program starts at the beginning of August and I’m worried about doing my best in both areas. Has anyone taken the MCAT while beginning the AP program and is it realistic to do? Or maybe do many people do that? Obviously, I just want to do my best in both cases and don’t want to spread myself thin and put myself back in the process yet again.

I’d appreciate any feedback and advice,
Thanks
:)

Members don't see this ad.

smoniczka said:
Hi everyone! This website is absolutely great and I’ve taken a lot of advice from the many threads posted. So, here is my question. I just found out that I got accepted to the RFU AP program. I’m very excited and am planning on attending. I have also been planning to retake my MCAT this August. I think the program starts at the beginning of August and I’m worried about doing my best in both areas. Has anyone taken the MCAT while beginning the AP program and is it realistic to do? Or maybe do many people do that? Obviously, I just want to do my best in both cases and don’t want to spread myself thin and put myself back in the process yet again.

I’d appreciate any feedback and advice,
Thanks
:)

Congratulations on the acceptance!!!! That is great news for you! I have applied to the AP program and I am hoping to get in also. I am in a similiar spot. I have started studying to retake the MCAT (August) again. I have done alot of research on RFMUS AP program and I know that if you are accepted and complete the program with a 3.0 or better you will be accepted to the med school (at least if you do not make enemies with faculty during your AP year). With that said there is no need to retake the MCAT since you are already accepted to the AP program. Unless you are hoping to matriculate at a different medical school besides RFMUS after you complete the AP program. If I get accepted I will not retake the August MCAT and just prepare myself to kick major butt during my AP year and make sure I get higher than a 3.0 and get accepted into the medical school. I actually went to the campus and spoke with many of the faculty and I was reassured that I will not have to re-take the MCAT despite my lower score if I am accepted and do well (3.0 +) in the AP program. The faculty will not make any promises about acceptances for that instance where an AP student who does better than a 3.0 but makes lots of enemies and is a thorn in the school's side. They want the ability to reject that type of person, but I do not beleive that this type of situation has occurred very often. Just some thoughts. You may want to enroll in a spring / summer upper level sciences to get an edge. I think that orientation is in the last week of July and classes start in August. Good luck and great job on the acceptance!!

Thanks! I'm very excited. And it's really good to hear about the MCAT. I suppose it's a great idea to go over and speak to the faculty about this as well on my part. I wasn't sure whether or not I would have to take it again since my score is not top notch. But, if what you say is true - my summer is looking a little brighter.

Good Luck and hopefully you'll hear of an acceptance soon as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
smoniczka said:
Thanks! I'm very excited. And it's really good to hear about the MCAT. I suppose it's a great idea to go over and speak to the faculty about this as well on my part. I wasn't sure whether or not I would have to take it again since my score is not top notch. But, if what you say is true - my summer is looking a little brighter.

Good Luck and hopefully you'll hear of an acceptance soon as well.

I would give the school a call and double check. If you find out differently please let me know. Thanks!!

Hey guys, Id check with the school to make sure. However, I haven't heard of anyone my year complaining that they didnt get in because of their MCAT scores. The only thing I know that kept ppl out is the GPA in the program. However, I think its only to your advantage to take it again if you need to. Id say if you have below a 27, take it again. After all, if you do better, it'll help you get into other schools even if you do/dont get into RFU. Thats my advice.

EL CAPeeeTAN said:
I would give the school a call and double check. If you find out differently please let me know. Thanks!!

I too just recently applied to the program and very excited about it. My only worry is that since it's so late, that maybe I won't get a decent shot at getting in.

I was just curious what everyone's stats are?

I just recieved my acceptance to RFU-AP as well. I am happy and excited considering my undergrad stats are sub-par, to be in a program where there is a high linkage to the medschool (students Ive talked to in the program say that if you maintain a 3.0 you are in to the med school, even though that is not "official" policy)

Here are my stats:
Double major in CMB and Poli Sci from University of Michigan. Overall GPA 3.0 Science GPA 2.8 MCAT =29S

Like I said above, I knew I didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting into med school off the bat and think RFU-AP is my best chance now.

Congrats! Looks like our class is slowly filling up. The RFU program should be great. Thanks everyone for posting. :)

3.4, 26P, just got in! :) :)

I just got in too! Congrats to everyone! I'll see you in fall!

3.4/3.2/32

lumaya said:
I just got in too! Congrats to everyone! I'll see you in fall!

3.4/3.2/32
congrats on the acceptance...did you apply to the med school as well? because your stats, according to the school's website, are right on par (better, actually) with the averages for people accepted to CMS (3.4/3.3/29).

Maybe the ones that are in the program can shed some light. I completed my application with my GRE score instead of the mcat. I took the mcat in april, but i knew that my application would be complete in june via the mcat route.

does anyone know what the avg gre scores for the RFU AP program. I received a m/v/w 680/580/4.5. Does anyone know if this is competitive...

Congrats to those who made it! Hopefully I can be able to join you all!

sgulati said:
congrats on the acceptance...did you apply to the med school as well? because your stats, according to the school's website, are right on par (better, actually) with the averages for people accepted to CMS (3.4/3.3/29).

I did apply this year but didn't get in anywhere. I did apply late and should have been much quicker with the secondaries. Word to the wise: APPLY EARLY!!!!!

Also, RFUMS's secondary only had 2 pages ALL about how I was going to pay for it. They wanted a complete financial breakdown and dollar amounts...Is that a little weird?

Members don't see this ad :)
lumaya said:
Also, RFUMS's secondary only had 2 pages ALL about how I was going to pay for it. They wanted a complete financial breakdown and dollar amounts...Is that a little weird?

that does seem a little bucky...i would assume that most people would be taking out a loan for that amount...and may not know yet if they're approved for it or not. :confused:

I may apply to this program for next year. Just curious how most people are covering the cost and what type of aid is available (any scholorship or needbased?), if any, other than Fed and Alt loans.

spundit said:
Maybe the ones that are in the program can shed some light. I completed my application with my GRE score instead of the mcat. I took the mcat in april, but i knew that my application would be complete in june via the mcat route.

does anyone know what the avg gre scores for the RFU AP program. I received a m/v/w 680/580/4.5. Does anyone know if this is competitive...

Congrats to those who made it! Hopefully I can be able to join you all!

I am going to apply with a GRE score. I hope yours is competitive, ill be applying with 700/490/5.5

as far as the whole how are you gonna pay for this thing.. Since I am all things RFUMS (or so I have been accused) let me give you 2 reasons...

1) you arent an American (aka no Federal Financial Aid for you)..........

2) this is the more likely reason.. One of the reasons the school is on probation is because the people who graduate from there are un debt upto their ears... I believe the average debt coming out was the 3rd highest in the country. The LCME did not like this and so the school is getting more grants etc. That being said one of the reasons the debt is so high (beyond the 36K tuition) is the AP program.

The school has also frozen tuition etc which are some of the other moves to decrease student debt. All that being said I took out the full amount of loans X 4 years (so far) and 1 more to go next yr. I hope that Sallie Mae lady doesnt send her goons after me to collect. If I find her sorry little pruned but I am gonna kick it until she cuts me a 10% break. (Sorry the last part is just a little rant.

As always people I am available to answer Qs. PM me... Those who have contacted me have benefited from my tremendous wisdom!

I got in this program also. my stats are 4.9/26O. However, I also applied to a carribean school, Ross and got in there. Now I am not sure if I should do this program and see if I get in RFUMS or just go for it at ROSS??? What do you guys think?

dreamer17 said:
oops I meant 3.9

Ross or RFU-AP? Id say neither. Retake your MCAT and get into a top school. Your GPA is good, just work on those MCATs and you might get into something like UCLA etc....

dreamer17 said:
oops I meant 3.9

$35,000 ($50,000+ with living expenses) is a LOT of money to spend when you don't need to. A Kaplan MCAT course is only about $1,500 and will help you a lot more. A 3.9 is a sky high GPA. It is true that if you did well in the AP then you would get in without retaking the MCAT, but it would be a lot of work and very expensive. All you need is a couple points higher on the MCAT. It should be balanced too. Was your 26 balanced? I would say blow off Ross, it might be okay, but it seems like you would not be getting much for all the work you've put in to get a 3.9.

What's better RFU with 3.0 (just about guaranteed acceptance to med school) or gtown (very well known)
The RFU is only a 1 year program in physiology right?

~Omar