Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those accepted, have you guys taken the casper test? Current/Past BMS students- is it okay to submit before you take the casper test? Would anyone recommend doing either over the other?

I submitted the app before having casper result. If accepted, you get conditional accep first and then after score is given you get full acceptance. Thats how i did it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those accepted, have you guys taken the casper test? Current/Past BMS students- is it okay to submit before you take the casper test? Would anyone recommend doing either over the other?
Current BMS student here- yes you can submit your AMCAS before taking casper. I took my casper like a week after submitting

How would you compare the two certificate tracks (Health Administration and Population Health Strategies) in terms of knowledge and difficulty? Which one is more manageable with the courseload and what are the pros/cons of each?
do not take health administration, it has a MUCH worse course load than population health. just trust me. The population health students had a wayyyy easier time than the health admin students. You'll have to write papers and discussion posts in both but the health admin course had a lot of communication problems this year with the course director and a lot of difficulty with meeting expectations that were not clarified to the students. This has been conveyed VERY clearly to the administration, though, and they are working to fix it for next year. If I were to do it over, though, I would have chosen population health because it could have saved me a lot of time and confusion. But, at the end of the day, they're both just "filler" classes that you'll end up doing last minute in between studying for your actual science courses. No one does poorly in these courses unless you just don't turn things in on time or put in 0 effort so don't worry too much about them, they're just kind of like a side piece of work that you have to remember to do.
I will say, though, the first 10 weeks are the worst of health admin and then it gets significantly easier. This is because they're front-loading the papers and you're taking 2 instead of 1 online course since you'll only be taking foundations of clinical medicine for the first 5 weeks, which is a pass/fail course.

Members don't see this ad :)
do not take health administration, it has a MUCH worse course load than population health. just trust me. The population health students had a wayyyy easier time than the health admin students. You'll have to write papers and discussion posts in both but the health admin course had a lot of communication problems this year with the course director and a lot of difficulty with meeting expectations that were not clarified to the students. This has been conveyed VERY clearly to the administration, though, and they are working to fix it for next year. If I were to do it over, though, I would have chosen population health because it could have saved me a lot of time and confusion. But, at the end of the day, they're both just "filler" classes that you'll end up doing last minute in between studying for your actual science courses. No one does poorly in these courses unless you just don't turn things in on time or put in 0 effort so don't worry too much about them, they're just kind of like a side piece of work that you have to remember to do.
I will say, though, the first 10 weeks are the worst of health admin and then it gets significantly easier. This is because they're front-loading the papers and you're taking 2 instead of 1 online course since you'll only be taking foundations of clinical medicine for the first 5 weeks, which is a pass/fail course.

I took the Nutrition track so I won’t be much help with the other two, but one thing I will say that I wish I knew that no one ever told us was that if you take the Population Health Strategies track, during M1 year, there will be a course called Epidemiology that you will be exempt from. This is only if you took that track, Health Admin won’t exempt you from anything. I’m not sure if this helps anyone make their decision, but I for sure would have picked Pop Health if I had known about this! I also agree that Health admin did have quite a bit of papers to write that took more time. In the end, these classes are gpa boosters and most everyone gets A’s in them so they shouldn’t be a source of stress!

Did any one also apply or have any information on the Pre Matriculation Program

Hey! Got accepted here today! Complete 4/24! GPA: 3.92. MCAT: 503. Leaning on more towards going than not! The only thing really holding me back from committing right now is the money!

You should not be doing an SMP with that GPA. SMPs are for people with low GPA/High MCAT. Your GPA is amazing, higher than the national matriculate average. All you would need to do is retake the MCAT >510 for MD and you are competitive as is for DO. I would advise you to think very long and hard before you jump on an SMP, you don't need grade repair lol.

You should not be doing an SMP with that GPA. SMPs are for people with low GPA/High MCAT. Your GPA is amazing, higher than the national matriculate average. All you would need to do is retake the MCAT >510 for MD and you are competitive as is for DO. I would advise you to think very long and hard before you jump on an SMP, you don't need grade repair lol.

Honestly in my opinion SMP’s aren’t *just* for people with high MCAT/low GPA’s. This program does a tremendously good job of preparing you for medical school and teaching you the work ethic required to succeed. Yes it’s expensive and yes if you don’t need to do it, you shouldn’t, but who knows if the op’s MCAT was after many tries, or if they want to just move on and make progress and try something different. It’s difficult to get a 510+ plus on your MCAT. And even then, being a reapplicant makes it difficult to get into MD schools. So if you’re considering this program and have a good gpa and low MCAT I don’t think you should be deterred by thinking that this program is not for you! I have talked to the admissions committee and they encourage all applicants. Many of my classmates had similar stats. I was in a similar situation and I am so glad I ended up doing this program, it was the best decision I ever made. These are just my thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
There’s a link for the FB group in the admitted student page in the to do lists!

Whats the difference between completed application vs verified application? Do you get the complete date after the verification?

Completed app is when you finished all parts of the application (essays, LOR, and transcript). Verified app is when they checked your transcript is identical to the one you manually typed in. At the verified point you are ready to be reviewed.

Where is the admitted students page? I have only gotten an email with my acceptance nothing else...

Members don't see this ad :)
After being accepted a few days ago, I have some logistical questions for anyone currently in and/or alumni of the program.
  1. Where to live? To be more specific, does RFUMS help you find living or are there student housing? If not, any specific neighborhoods/areas where most students live? I haven't joined the FB group yet so not sure if more of this type of info is found on there.
  2. Is it smart to bring a car? I live on the east coast but am honestly thinking about making the obnoxiously long drive. I completely understand that this program is going to be very time consuming, however, I do not want to be stuck in the suburbs the entire time (have some friends in dtown Chicago that I would like to see every once in awhile).
  3. End goal is to matriculate into CMS following completion of program. Being a bit proactive here, but CMS does not have an affiliated/attached hospital. Can any alumni speak on this? Is this a big con? After doing some research, I see that rotations are on a lottery basis:bored:.
  4. Any general advice you wish you had going into the program? Have already read some great stuff, just wondering if there is anything else worth mentioning.
Greatly appreciate anyone that can touch on any of these topics!!

Reactions: 3 users
After being accepted a few days ago, I have some logistical questions for anyone currently in and/or alumni of the program.
  1. Where to live? To be more specific, does RFUMS help you find living or are there student housing? If not, any specific neighborhoods/areas where most students live? I haven't joined the FB group yet so not sure if more of this type of info is found on there.
  2. Is it smart to bring a car? I live on the east coast but am honestly thinking about making the obnoxiously long drive. I completely understand that this program is going to be very time consuming, however, I do not want to be stuck in the suburbs the entire time (have some friends in dtown Chicago that I would like to see every once in awhile).
  3. End goal is to matriculate into CMS following completion of program. Being a bit proactive here, but CMS does not have an affiliated/attached hospital. Can any alumni speak on this? Is this a big con? After doing some research, I see that rotations are on a lottery basis:bored:.
  4. Any general advice you wish you had going into the program? Have already read some great stuff, just wondering if there is anything else worth mentioning.
Greatly appreciate anyone that can touch on any of these topics!!

1. RFUMS has easily accessible housing whether it's at the woodlands or student housing. Honestly both are sound options and I would suggest seeing both if you can. I personally went with student housing. There is also the possibility of Navy. You will easily find housing.

2. I shipped my car over and it has been a huge help. It is doable without a car, but I used my car to go get groceries and food from places that I really liked.

3. Can't really help you here as I just finished BMS.

4. Enjoy the year. It's definitely going to be stressful, but it's not something I hated. Be active on campus and within the community. Don't take the coursework lightly as falling behind a few days can be hard to come back from if you're not careful.

1. RFUMS has easily accessible housing whether it's at the woodlands or student housing. Honestly both are sound options and I would suggest seeing both if you can. I personally went with student housing. There is also the possibility of Navy. You will easily find housing.

2. I shipped my car over and it has been a huge help. It is doable without a car, but I used my car to go get groceries and food from places that I really liked.

3. Can't really help you here as I just finished BMS.

4. Enjoy the year. It's definitely going to be stressful, but it's not something I hated. Be active on campus and within the community. Don't take the coursework lightly as falling behind a few days can be hard to come back from if you're not careful.
Really appreciate you answering all my questions AkitaGuy! Do you remember how much you paid to ship your car over? Also, any recommendations you have to get involved with the campus and community?

Would it be too late to apply at the end of June? My MCAT score doesn’t come out until then, and it states that they don’t look at your application until they have that score. I know the deadline is July 1st but would it even be worth it to apply then or would all the spots be filled? :/

Would it be too late to apply at the end of June? My MCAT score doesn’t come out until then, and it states that they don’t look at your application until they have that score. I know the deadline is July 1st but would it even be worth it to apply then or would all the spots be filled? :/

Obviously this is only my experience, but I did apply like the week the application was due and got in just fine. I would assume I have a high MCAT and extracurriculars for BMS which probably helped, but if your application is decent it would be worth applying. I had taken a late May MCAT so was in your shoes.

I applied before my mcat score was available and just wrote a separate document saying that it will be available on such and such date. I’d apply now to have your transcripts verified because that takes time then just add your score when it’s posted

I’ve heard some bad sketchy things about this program. Does anyone know the final linkage numbers for this year’s class??

I’ve heard some bad sketchy things about this program. Does anyone know the final linkage numbers for this year’s class??

Someone probably has the numbers, but like I said - I know more people who received an acceptance than did not. Whether they lost it due to grades is a different matter all together. Of course there were some negatives about the program, but that is expected. Best advice I could give is do your research and see if this would be a good fit for you. I'll update you if I ever find out final numbers.

Hey guys! Can anyone shed some light on the housing options and which one is better? Students that are matriculating this year, what have y’all picked? I feel kind of clueless since I am not from Chicago

Last edited:
Hey guys! My application was complete on 5/24 and received an acceptance today!!

I'm really excited but also worried because my MCAT isn't high. I've heard that MCAT doesn't matter once you're in the program but does it really not? 69% matriculation is awesome but I'm concerned that most of those who did not matriculate had low MCAT scores.
Where did you get the 69% from?

H! I just got accepted today. I have a 3.65 GPA and a 509 MCAT. I have a couple questions!
1. I’m currently waitlisted at three me schools. Is the intent to enroll into the BMS program binding?
2. Are you still able to apply to other medical schools even if you’re in the program? I was about to send my AMCAS application to all my schools today.

Hey guys! My application was complete on 5/24 and received an acceptance today!!

I'm really excited but also worried because my MCAT isn't high. I've heard that MCAT doesn't matter once you're in the program but does it really not? 69% matriculation is awesome but I'm concerned that most of those who did not matriculate had low MCAT scores.
Did you apply for this program separately or did you apply via the free short application using your 19-20 AMCAS app?

I applied separately! I didn't even know there was a short version on AMCAS lol why?
Because I applied using my AMCAS application from this most recent cycle, which was offered to me after being denied a seat in the entering CMS class. I am still waiting to hear back and it's been a few weeks! Just trying to get some insight on when I might hear back.

Got an invitation to apply to the program a couple weeks ago and just submitted today. I had originally applied to the MD program and was rejected pre-interview. This was my fourth cycle applying and honestly I had given up on medical school, so this is kindof throwing me for a loop haha. My undergrad GPA was 3.3 science, 3.4 cumulative, with a 512 MCAT and knew that my grades have been my biggest weakness all along. Very curious to see if I get accepted as that would be potentially life-changing for me!
Have you heard back yet? I applied around the same time as you and am very eager to hear!

Has anyone been able to get added to the BMS 2019-2020 group? I requested to join a really long time ago but still haven't been added.

We had the same issue this past year so you guys should just make your own fb group like “Rosalind Franklin BMS 2019-2020” or something

Would any current or students have any insight?
H! I just got accepted today. I have a 3.65 GPA and a 509 MCAT. I have a couple questions!
1. I’m currently waitlisted at three me schools. Is the intent to enroll into the BMS program binding?
2. Are you still able to apply to other medical schools even if you’re in the program? I was about to send my AMCAS application to all my schools today.

Would any current or students have any insight?

The intent to enroll isn’t binding! But if I remember correctly I think there is a small deposit you have to pay to hold your seat. But if you end up getting off the waitlist from one of the medical schools, you can just email them and say you no longer will be attending BMS!

And for applying, yes absolutely! If you want to apply to CMS (or any other school) submit your AMCAS right now and you’ll be applying during the academic year, so you can matriculate into the medical school right after graduating from BMS!

Hey guys I was recently accepted into the program and just wanted to clarify a couple questions had.
1. The volunteer hours they recommend us completing would that be on top of the hours we have already done or would it essentially be like a clean slate?
2. What are some ways to get involved on campus?
3. Has anyone been accepted into the Facebook group? It’s been a while since I sent in my request and I have heard back in a while.
4. What are some tips/suggestions you have for someone not from the immediate area.
5. Should we wait to submit our primary AMCAS until the end of the first semester or the earlier the better?

Hey guys I was recently accepted into the program and just wanted to clarify a couple questions had.
1. The volunteer hours they recommend us completing would that be on top of the hours we have already done or would it essentially be like a clean slate?
2. What are some ways to get involved on campus?
3. Has anyone been accepted into the Facebook group? It’s been a while since I sent in my request and I have heard back in a while.
4. What are some tips/suggestions you have for someone not from the immediate area.
5. Should we wait to submit our primary AMCAS until the end of the first semester or the earlier the better?

1. Those are on top of the ones you’ve already completed! As in the admissions committee will be able to see everything you’ve done including your past hours and the extra ones you were told to complete.
2. There’s a club for just about anything you can think of on campus. Interest groups, cultural/religious ones, sports intramurals, class councils, clinical clubs, etc! There will be an activities fair during the first week of school where you can learn about and sign up for these organizations. You’ll be able to get involved very easily.
3. The Facebook group thing has always been an issue but historically a member of the class usually creates a group entitled “Rosalind Franklin BMS 201X - 201X.” Someone from RFU will usually message the creator about it but it’s usually fine and that ends up being the primary group that’s used because no one can ever find the school made one.
4. North Chicago is a kind of isolated town in a middle of a few affluent neighborhoods (Lake Bluff, Vernon Hills). It’s incredibly helpful to have a car on campus because you can’t really walk anywhere and because of the Navy base right next door, Uber and Lyft don’t work on campus. If you don’t have a car though, there are shuttles to Target weekly as well as daily shuttles to be Lake Bluff train station that will take you into the city of Chicago if you wish to go there. Otherwise it helps to have friends with cars. It’s easy to get to the city on weekends to do stuff, and most nice restaurants and places are within a 15-20 min drive from school. Our school has a gym and there are others in the area if you prefer a larger one. For parking in the city, I recommend the Spot Hero app as parking can be expensive in the city. Also, there’s an app where you can purchase CTA/bus tickets that’s much easier when traveling within the city. Other than that, I think you’d be able to figure out most other things on your own upon arrival! The post office is close by, there are breweries and my favorite coffee shop to study at is Hansa Coffee in Lake Bluff that’s just about a mile away from campus.
5. Definitely submit your primary as early as possible. They tell you that an advisor can help you edit your personal statement but that’s usually after school starts and if you are also applying to other medical schools in addition to CMS, your chances are much higher if you submit earlier. If you are only applying to CMS, then it doesn’t matter when you submit your primary as long as it’s before the deadline (sometime in November I think).

I hope that helps! Good luck and congrats on your acceptance!

Does anyone know how we go about adding the BMS courses in AMCAS? Do we also need a transcript from RFU?

Hey guys! Did you guys have to pay $109 for castle branch? The website that verifies our immunizations and does our background check.

Did anyone get an email asking you to do xxx amount of volunteer hours?? I think it’s ridiculous to ask for these hours literally 2 months before class starts

Did anyone get an email asking you to do xxx amount of volunteer hours?? I think it’s ridiculous to ask for these hours literally 2 months before class starts
Yes I did! I work full time so I was wondering how I would fit all of that into my schedule before the classes start. Did they specify what type of volunteer hours for you like clinical or community?

Yes I did! I work full time so I was wondering how I would fit all of that into my schedule before the classes start. Did they specify what type of volunteer hours for you like clinical or community?
Same... I work full time as well. So I am not sure how I’ll get these hours. And the email seem liked to do general volunteer not healthcare volunteering for me. What about yours?

Same... I work full time as well. So I am not sure how I’ll get these hours. And the email seem liked to do general volunteer not healthcare volunteering for me. What about yours?

I can't emphasize how important these hours are to be completed. You do need to get this done and some people manage to finish it during the school year. It is better to do so before school so you don't have to worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep it’s general for me too.... anyone know of any services that are open late and/or on the weekends that will allow for general volunteering? Most of the places I know open by 8 and close by 5

Is it mandatory to have all these hours completed before the program starts? I am in the same boat as many of you in that I work full-time, and banging out 100-150+ hours seems like a (loonggggggg) stretch before leaving for Chicago

Yep it’s general for me too.... anyone know of any services that are open late and/or on the weekends that will allow for general volunteering? Most of the places I know open by 8 and close by 5

It depends on your area, you can PM me and I'll share what I know with you if you have a hard time.

Is it mandatory to have all these hours completed before the program starts? I am in the same boat as many of you in that I work full-time, and banging out 100-150+ hours seems like a (loonggggggg) stretch before leaving for Chicago

Recommended to have done before the program starts, but you can finish it during the program. You need to get this done before you send updates to CMS. (You don't want another commitment when you're finishing up cell bio and biochem especially when physio starts in November.)

Reactions: 3 users
Got an acceptance email today! I am a mixture of surprised, excited, and scared haha. I have a lot of things to figure out now and not a lot of time to do it!

Edit: question for you all. How do you afford tuition and living expenses? I live with my fiance in a house that we own. We feel the best option may be to live separately, with me in on campus housing, but it is so crazy expensive! I would have to take out at least another 15k on top of tuition. I don't even want to think about doing this and not getting into the MD program... Agh! This should be very exciting but feels so stressful!

Last edited:

It’s not mandatory to have them done before classes start but you REALLY SHOULD. Unfortunately, I’m sorry to say that now that you’re in BMS, your focus should be on getting into CMS, not working. If all of us are saying get hours done before school starts, I think it’s because we know what we’re talking about in the sense that you do NOT want to be doing these hours when school starts. Biochem and cmcb are hard classes, they are what determine your acceptance into CMS, so you want to do well in them and you don’t want anything compromising your ability to do that. Last summer I was required to do 100-150 clinical AND 100-150 non-clinical, I got them all done between June 4th and August 13th so it is fully doable, you just need to commit to it. In fact, during orientation, the advisers will straight up tell you to quit your job if you’re working so might as well do that now if you don't think you’ll be able to work & finish the hours before classes start. I’m sorry if that sounds mean but if you’re looking for advice on how to get into CMS, then part of that is finishing your hours this summer so that you can devote 100% of your time to studying when classes start.

Oh and however you decide to do your hours, make sure you run it by Yovanna because CMS is specific about what they deem to be acceptable. For example, volunteering with a suicide hotline is NOT acceptable for non-clinical volunteer hours.

Last edited:
Got an acceptance email today! I am a mixture of surprised, excited, and scared haha. I have a lot of things to figure out now and not a lot of time to do it!

Edit: question for you all. How do you afford tuition and living expenses? I live with my fiance in a house that we own. We feel the best option may be to live separately, with me in on campus housing, but it is so crazy expensive! I would have to take out at least another 15k on top of tuition. I don't even want to think about doing this and not getting into the MD program... Agh! This should be very exciting but feels so stressful!

I never went to class like ever and did well.... except for the few mandatory classes that happened like once a week or once every two weeks so you can for sure live with your fiancé at home! The only time it’s a pain to commute is the first 5 weeks of the program when you’re taking foundations of clinical medicine because that class isn’t recorded and she takes attendance but other than that, for the rest of the program I just studied at home and watched this year’s/last years lecture recordings that were the same.

Oh and however you decide to do your hours, make sure you run it by Yovanna because CMS is specific about what they deem to be acceptable. For example, volunteering with a suicide hotline is NOT acceptable for non-clinical volunteer hours.

Definitely run things by Yovanna. The suicide hotline was acceptable for me as non-clinical and made up a bulk of my hours. However, these were not the only things I did to volunteer.

Do you have any tips on how to study for BMS to be successful?

Everyone has a different way of learning and you'll figure this out quickly. I had mine down early on and even when I was lazy toward the end of the year and put in half as much effort I still did relatively well. If you're really unsure, feel free to PM me and I can run you through what I did and see if this works for you.

Is on campus housing worth it? It is much more expensive than other options so what are the pros and cons to it? Are there any guest restrictions for on campus housing?

I live on campus and I loved it. It is slightly more expensive, but I live on my own. Woodlands and on-campus are very similar with on-campus being slightly newer and we are getting in unit washer/dryer this upcoming year (I am excited about that). I would say definitely look and see if you can explore the options. What you see in the pictures online are pretty accurate, it's just a matter of what will feel more like home to you.

Definitely run things by Yovanna. The suicide hotline was acceptable for me as non-clinical and made up a bulk of my hours. However, these were not the only things I did to volunteer.

Everyone has a different way of learning and you'll figure this out quickly. I had mine down early on and even when I was lazy toward the end of the year and put in half as much effort I still did relatively well. If you're really unsure, feel free to PM me and I can run you through what I did and see if this works for you.

I live on campus and I loved it. It is slightly more expensive, but I live on my own. Woodlands and on-campus are very similar with on-campus being slightly newer and we are getting in unit washer/dryer this upcoming year (I am excited about that). I would say definitely look and see if you can explore the options. What you see in the pictures online are pretty accurate, it's just a matter of what will feel more like home to you.
Can anyone comment on whether or not your mcat has any barring on whether or not you get into CMS? I have heard that once your in only your BMS grades count. However, I have seen some conflicting info lately