Review books for complementing lecture notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgDoc95

Surgery Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been doing a lot of preparing for first year of med school (NOT pre studying), and have come across a few places suggesting that you should compliment class lectures/power points with a board review book. Is this a necessary and useful method of studying? For example, a former medical student suggested learning from the lectures for biochemistry then using Rapid Review Biochem to get the high yield facts down. Just looking to hit the ground running and figuring out the best use of time. Thanks!

Also, is it better to get review books for each subject over using let's say first aid?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
So I've been doing a lot of preparing for first year of med school (NOT pre studying), and have come across a few places suggesting that you should compliment class lectures/power points with a board review book. Is this a necessary and useful method of studying? For example, a former medical student suggested learning from the lectures for biochemistry then using Rapid Review Biochem to get the high yield facts down. Just looking to hit the ground running and figuring out the best use of time. Thanks!

Also, is it better to get review books for each subject over using let's say first aid?

Don't mind me.... just posting because I want to see the responses as well :whistle: I also want to hit the ground running at a sprint

Reactions: 3 users
So I guess we know who the gunners are now. I mean, not me, of course.

Oh I subscribed to the thread? Weird...

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To the OP, I seen you in the KCU thread and i'll give advice from a first year perspective.

For first year, there's not a lot of time for board review material. there's a lot of lecture material given to you throughout the classes and it's going to take your time to get solid 3-4 passes of material on powerpoint. Especially with biochemistry for example.

That being said, BRS physiology is a solid resource all first year. Get your hands on practice questions. First Aid is awesome b/c you can look at it the couple of days before the exam and it's a high yield source with quick mnemonics for the exam.

If you really want something related to boards for first year, some people have used firecracker. Other than that for FIRST year, focus on classes, do practice questions, and use first aid.

Second year, you can throw in more boards review stuff imo.

"Complement," not "compliment." :nono:

So I guess we know who the gunners are now. I mean, not me, of course.

Oh I subscribed to the thread? Weird...

How dare incoming MS 1's try to get prepared to do well early!! We should be just super thankful they even let us in the door!! Okay, aside from my obvious sarcasm, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be the best prepared you can be before starting classes. Isn't a gunner someone who is all about themselves getting ahead at the cost of others? I feel like the term is thrown around in a rather derogatory manner when it's not even applicable.

Reactions: 2 users
How dare incoming MS 1's try to get prepared to do well early!! We should be just super thankful they even let us in the door!! Okay, aside from my obvious sarcasm, I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to be the best prepared you can be before starting classes. Isn't a gunner someone who is all about themselves getting ahead at the cost of others? I feel like the term is thrown around in a rather derogatory manner when it's not even applicable.

Traditionally yeah that's what a gunner has been. However, recently it is more and more common to see people use the term gunner to describe someone who is aiming for a competitive specialty and is working harder than everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
Traditionally yeah that's what a gunner has been. However, recently it isn't more and more common to see people use the term gunner to describe someone who is aiming for a competitive specialty and is working harder than everyone else.

Haha is that supposed to be a bad thing? Shouldn't we all be trying to be the best physicians possible? I guess the derogatory manner that it's used in just baffles me.

Haha is that supposed to be a bad thing? Shouldn't we all be trying to be the best physicians possible? I guess the derogatory manner that it's used in just baffles me.

Heck no man, and you're not alone. I've already started putting together some ideas for study strategies I'm going to bounce off of current students after I move there before classes start.

Redefine gunning so gunning doesn't seem so bad?

Classic gunner behavior!

Check and mate!

Reactions: 7 users

No idea if it's necessary.
As in, it's kinda relative.

If you have trouble understanding some lectures or retaining them, then use other resources to help with that.
Best of use of your time would be practice questions (e.g. high yield Qbanks) IMO. that should be the measure if whether you need additional material. Review resources are just that - for review after core study. But again, if you have trouble understanding some concepts, definitely use other things that make it easier to understand or remember. If some things make you answer questions faster and more accurately, then use them. just be sparing with the number of resources you use. There is such thing as overload or overkill. Don't burn yourself out.

Reactions: 1 user
To the OP, I seen you in the KCU thread and i'll give advice from a first year perspective.

For first year, there's not a lot of time for board review material. there's a lot of lecture material given to you throughout the classes and it's going to take your time to get solid 3-4 passes of material on powerpoint. Especially with biochemistry for example.

That being said, BRS physiology is a solid resource all first year. Get your hands on practice questions. First Aid is awesome b/c you can look at it the couple of days before the exam and it's a high yield source with quick mnemonics for the exam.

If you really want something related to boards for first year, some people have used firecracker. Other than that for FIRST year, focus on classes, do practice questions, and use first aid.

How do you recommend incorporating FA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No idea if it's necessary.
As in, it's kinda relative.

If you have trouble understanding some lectures or retaining them, then use other resources to help with that.
Best of use of your time would be practice questions (e.g. high yield Qbanks) IMO. that should be the measure if whether you need additional material. Review resources are just that - for review after core study. But again, if you have trouble understanding some concepts, definitely use other things that make it easier to understand or remember. If some things make you answer questions faster and more accurately, then use them. just be sparing with the number of resources you use. There is such thing as overload or overkill. Don't burn yourself out.
I absolutely disagree. Qbanks aren't a good use of time first year since you haven't covered a lot of the material and you're using up resources for second year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I absolutely disagree. Qbanks aren't a good use of time first year since you haven't covered a lot of the material and you're using up resources for second year.
my point is doing questions, doesn't have to be qbanks if you feel you need to save those resources for 2nd year. that said, there's at least 3-4 different step 1 qbanks out there. given how time is limited in med school, sacrificing one to pull out relevant qs in first year isn't going to detract from numbers of resources left available.

I'm more in the boat of doing questions to learn as you go, not reading alone (even that's important too). unless the med school's supplying a lot of qs to use from, there's other things that have qs. If not qbanks fine, robbin's has qbooks for path. i'm sure there's pathophysio books around too with questions.

I put in there IMO - doesn't mean anything except, IMO as..essentially some random on the internet.
everyone has their own flavor and take on it.

Edit/Addit:
Agree with a post above by ankii - there is a lot of resources and review material out there. it's great in some respects, in having so much available to you. there's no reason why you cannot do well. Down side is finding which ones are best for your own learning style etc. That's if you want to give them ago, at this stage in your studies. there's no real harm to trying things. It's also okay to not like something out of the review materials out there. I didn't like rapid review personally, but some people did. That's fine.

one approach I'd suggest is integrating whatever it is you choose to your current studies or school's curriculum. if you decide to use the review stuff as you tackle first year. I.e. say you're covering asthma or pulmonary physiology during classes. then cover those sections in first aid. follow-up reading with questions to cement your learning.

using different resources allows you to see the topics in different ways (which is obvious) or fill in gaps. just don't allow yourself to get bogged down. whether it's necessary, depends on who you ask. end of the day though, whatever knowledge you're able to retain now helps you become a better doctor later. it's only a waste of your time if you learn nothing, burn out etc.

And yea..i just realized my edit is longer than my original post..

Last edited:

Not enough time first year :laugh:

Honestly first year just lacks a lot of information on pathology to really be useful. Get down your embryo, your physio, and your anatomy. That's the point of first year.

There's a lot of variables, if you go to a systems-based school, then utilizing board review resources is more feasible. I personally like to get a first pass with board review resources such as pathoma, sketchy, or kaplan and then doing questions in firecracker before i start going over the corresponding lecture.

Its worked well enough for me

For your first year, here are the three must have resources that you must pay for:

1) Pathoma w/ the video subscription.
2) Sketchy Micro and Pharm.
3) First Aid

Goals for 1st year: Memorize all sections in First Aid that are covered in school. Work through every video of Sketchy Micro and Pharm and understand each painting. If you do these two steps, you're on your way to destroying board.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your first year, here are the three must have resources that you must pay for:

1) Pathoma w/ the video subscription. Talk to your class president about getting a class discount. We got 15% discount for ours.
2) Sketchy Micro and Pharm. Talk to your class president about getting a class discount. We got 15% discount for ours.
3) First Aid

Goals for 1st year: Memorize all sections in First Aid that are covered in school. Work through every video of Sketchy Micro and Pharm and understand each painting. If you do these two steps, you're on your way to destroying board.
I think KCU has a different style of curriculum though. I think they see Pathology until second year? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've been trying to put together a general study plan as well.. The recommendations for resources I've seen a lot are (some mentioned above already):

1.) FA
2.) Pathoma
3.) Sketchy (micro. + pharm.)
4.) Anki Flashcards (how to use: BROS Anki Deck Comprehensive Guide! • r/medicalschool)
5.) Board Review Series: Physiology
6.) Made Ridiculously Simple Series (micro. + immuno.)
7.) Rapid Review Biochemistry
8.) Lecturio (anyone used this before? Is it good? DocOssareh recommends it and I dig his YouTube vids.)

I don't know what combination I should use though, and it's stressing me out a bit. And I know some of these resources won't be as valuable until OMS-II.

I've been trying to put together a general study plan as well.. The recommendations for resources I've seen a lot are (some mentioned above already):

1.) FA
2.) Pathoma
4.) Anki Flashcards (how to use: BROS Anki Deck Comprehensive Guide! • r/medicalschool)
8.) Lecturio (anyone used this before? Is it good? DocOssareh recommends it and I dig his YouTube vids.)

I don't know what combination I should use though, and it's stressing me out a bit. And I know some of these resources won't be as valuable until OMS-II.

Give them a try.
As in, try one or two a time. 3 tops. see what works. but whatever you do, don't try all 8 at once.

They're all 'good', to be honest. Some swear by each of those resources you've listed. Others will say it was crap because it didn't work them. You have to find what fits you.

use them in a way that it's helping you retain and understand your class material better. Arguably, you may not need these if textbooks and lectures are doing the job..but lectures aren't always the greatest in quality.

Each can serve a different purpose, hence using 1-2 along side your regular studies is okay.

e.g.
1. FA is a skeleton, there to keep you on track. Leave no stone unturned.
2. Pathoma is like a introduction to pathology, don't touch this unless you're actively being taught pathology. watch a video at the beginning of the week, before you attack the lectures so you get some grasp of the topics before the lectures go more into depth.
3. Sketchy, haven't tried, came after my time.
4. Anki - Bros came after my time, but familiar with things like this. Flashcards are great for when you're tired of reading. they help you memorize key things. Swap to these if you're tired of reading essentially. Or if you simply love this method.
5, 6, 7 are all review books. Treat them as such. use them if you need to see the material presented in another way to grasp something. stick to one book at a time however. if your'e not absorbing the material quickly, drop it and move onto the next. I used the secrets series. that was my poison. But it was something i read after the end of a week as 'review'. (N.b. these did not replace textbooks for me).
8. Lecturio - no idea, but if you like them and they help, use it

It could be that different combos tailor to different things for you. for anatomy you might use different resources compared to physiology. flashcards might make micro easier to retain, but not physiology.

Aim for a system where, it's not about how many hours you study. But being able to understand and retain as much as possible, in as little time as possible. Once you start rotations in the clinical years, you lose a good chunk of the study time you enjoy as a pre-clinical year.

I would strongly suggest staying away from lecturio; most of the videos do not match up well with board material or step 1 material, the same goes for najeeb as well. Just my opinion because I've been through both of those. Firecracker does a pretty good job of teaching if you want to read the sections that are associated with the questions. If you want a video series, I'd suggest going with Kaplan USMLE lectures because those videos definitely tailor to boards and to a lesser extent, school exams.

Has anyone used boards and beyond? I'm kinda interested but holy moly it's expensive.

Has anyone used boards and beyond? I'm kinda interested but holy moly it's expensive.

I've heard good things, but its very new. IMO, the price isn't so bad considering the breadth it covers. Thinking about buying a 1 year subscription

1.) FA
2.) Pathoma

So I used everything here besides pathoma (and i have heard good things so try it out) and Anki (didn't bother learning how to use it and also ended up designing my own spaced repetition schedule). FA and Uworld were great, sketchy micro was dope, BRS great, made simple is AMAZING. Rapid review was good as well. I especially like Lecturio, it really works for me. I used it for the boards and for just general med school. I recommend seeing a lecture + rereading your lecture notes before approaching the textbook (makes it shorter and stick a lot more). Also, try their bookmatcher app, it's wild. By the way DocOssareh is how I found out about it J.

We can recommend a lot of stuff here, but it really depends on whether you like the resource or not.