Programs for taking notes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOhopeful987

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What programs do you suggest for note taking?

I always used handwritten notes for science courses since I like drawing and used google docs for other courses. I like using google docs and being able to easily search through notes and having it backed up. I plan to use my macbook for most note taking but also having my ipad available to draw if needed. I like using the Cornell method and use the comment function to write questions.

I know some people love using onenote but I'm wondering how it compares to google docs?

Which method do you use for note taking and why?

Members don't see this ad.

I use Notability with my iPad and apple pencil and it works amazingly. I don't regret the investment at all but it was a little pricey. Otherwise I would reccomend handwritten for anatomy and scan your notes and type for other courses but thats just me

Reactions: 1 user
+1 to Notability. Could download the slides and add the handwritten info straight there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Notability on iPad with Apple Pencil if you’re going to be purchasing an iPad, if you already have one, or if your school includes them in first year fees.

OneNote is good and does the same thing if you’re using a windows device, it’s just not quite as smooth as Notability. Our school adds a windows laptop into our fees (the kind you can use as a laptop or tablet) so most of my classmates use OneNote, import slides, and either type or take written notes directly on them.

comparing OneNote to google docs: OneNote syncs to the cloud like google docs does, but the comparison really ends there. If your school sets you up with a Microsoft 365 account, then you’ll have free access to OneNote, OneDrive, and the whole host of office products. If it doesn’t, or if you just like google, you can simply import your powerpoints into google drive, and take notes on them in google slides.

I use OneNote with my iPad + pencil and it's been great...I agree that Notability works a bit more seamlessly, but I was already used to the OneNote operating system and it's free so I decided to stick with it. No regrets.