Retaking Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.birdman

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently a junior. Prior to the start of the Fall Semester my sGPA was 3.4. However, i completely bombed my last semester & got a D in Orgo2 & C- in Anatomy1. I also had a C in Orgo1 in the Spring semester of my sophomore year which was balanced by A in Physics & A in Microbio in the summer. Now my sGPA is 3.0. I am planning on taking MCAT at the end of May & possibly retaking Orgo2 in the summer. If I do well on the MCAT, I plan to apply to pod schools in August. Should I retake Orgo2 in the Summer or can I wait till the Fall of 2022? Also no matter what, I will not be able to retake Anatomy1 till the Fall of 2022. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I am currently a junior. Prior to the start of the Fall Semester my sGPA was 3.4. However, i completely bombed my last semester & got a D in Orgo2 & C- in Anatomy1. I also had a C in Orgo1 in the Spring semester of my sophomore year which was balanced by A in Physics & A in Microbio in the summer. Now my sGPA is 3.0. I am planning on taking MCAT at the end of May & possibly retaking Orgo2 in the summer. If I do well on the MCAT, I plan to apply to pod schools in August. Should I retake Orgo2 in the Summer or can I wait till the Fall of 2022? Also no matter what, I will not be able to retake Anatomy1 till the Fall of 2022. Thank you in advance.

The deadline to submit the AACPMAS app is June 30th of each year. With your current stats and, say, an MCAT score of 495+, I would submit everything before April of the application year. That said if you can take the courses you listed above before April then go for it, otherwise delay applying for another cycle. Good luck!

The deadline to submit the AACPMAS app is June 30th of each year. With your current stats and, say, an MCAT score of 495+, I would submit everything before April of the application year. That said if you can take the courses you listed above before April then go for it, otherwise delay applying for another cycle. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply. Just want to clarify the following. If my MCAT will be in that range & my sGPA will increase a bit by the end of the Summer 2022 (I am taking Genetics in the Spring & hopefully Orgo2 in Summer), your suggestion is not to apply early in the cycle prior to getting a better grade in Anatomy1 (hopefully) in the Fall despite the benefits of applying early in the cycle? Thank you.

Thank you for your reply. Just want to clarify the following. If my MCAT will be in that range & my sGPA will increase a bit by the end of the Summer 2022 (I am taking Genetics in the Spring & hopefully Orgo2 in Summer), your suggestion is not to apply early in the cycle prior to getting a better grade in Anatomy1 (hopefully) in the Fall despite the benefits of applying early in the cycle? Thank you.

If you can fulfill the 1 year of organic chem and the MCAT by the summer, then apply right away—no need to delay at that point.
I said above to delay in case you have to re-take the MCAT or have to finish Orgo (the only course you listed as part of the pre-med requirement).
But, if you can get both done then apply right away.

Read more on the deadlines here: Admissions - The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM)