Retake old prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dingdong28

Funny as hell
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
See title. Would it be wise to retake the prereqs at a CC and take the MCAT once complete? All of my prereqs w/the exception to physics II are 7 - 8 years old. I've always been interested in podiatry after I became a long distance XC runner and read Christopher McDougall's book "Born to Run" but lacked the self-confidence to push for podiatric school. I immaturely decided I wanted to do something in research and be in a lab my whole life but after working as a med lab tech for 5 years now, I definitely don't want to do that. I have a few podiatrists at a clinic down the street from the hospital I work that I can shadow and once I found what I'm passionate about, I'll make the jump to retake classes. My employer offers tuition reimbursement, in addition to the military offering some as well. I'm somebody that needs the structure and environment of being in a classroom. I've already shadowed physicians in other specialities and the only field I really enjoyed was anesthesia.

Thank you for any advice. Looking forward to the responses/differences in opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

See title. Would it be wise to retake the prereqs at a CC and take the MCAT once complete? All of my prereqs w/the exception to physics II are 7 - 8 years old. I've always been interested in podiatry after I became a long distance XC runner and read Christopher McDougall's book "Born to Run" but lacked the self-confidence to push for podiatric school. I immaturely decided I wanted to do something in research and be in a lab my whole life but after working as a med lab tech for 5 years now, I definitely don't want to do that. I have a few podiatrists at a clinic down the street from the hospital I work that I can shadow and once I found what I'm passionate about, I'll make the jump to retake classes. My employer offers tuition reimbursement, in addition to the military offering some as well. I'm somebody that needs the structure and environment of being in a classroom. I've already shadowed physicians in other specialities and the only field I really enjoyed was anesthesia.

Thank you for any advice. Looking forward to the responses/differences in opinions.
It depends. It depends on what grades you have in those prereqs and also what you still retained from them. If you got Bs and As and still have some basic knowledge, I would just study for MCAT. Studying for MCAT would refresh your memory and focus only on high yield information you need to know for MCAT.

I have seen number of posts on SDN where someone was in similar situation and they did well on the MCAT just by studying for it despite having old prereqs.

If you don't need to retake any prereqs (if your grades are above C), I would not spend so much money on retaking them. This may take at least 1 year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry I had originally thought of putting my grades in there but forgot to.

B+/A- in gen chem and labs were similar; B-/C+ in gen bio and labs were Bs I think; orgo was at a B- for both semesters and labs; physics I was a C; physics II was D+/B- retake; English B/B; calc I/II was A/C

If you got Bs and As and still have some basic knowledge
The bold is what gets me. My cgpa and sgpa are low (2.9/2.7 respectably) and I struggled when I went back to school a few years ago taking upper level chemistry courses after being away from school for 2 years. Of course at that time I was working full-time and took a near full-time course load and bit off more than I could chew. I figured I could retake the prereqs and upper level sciences, reinvent myself and prepare for the MCAT and prove I'm now longer the student I was way back when.

Members don't see this ad :)

B+/A- in gen chem and labs were similar; B-/C+ in gen bio and labs were Bs I think; orgo was at a B- for both semesters and labs; physics I was a C; physics II was D+/B- retake; English B/B; calc I/II was A/C

The bold is what gets me. My cgpa and sgpa are low (2.9/2.7 respectably) and I struggled when I went back to school a few years ago taking upper level chemistry courses after being away from school for 2 years. Of course at that time I was working full-time and took a near full-time course load and bit off more than I could chew. I figured I could retake the prereqs and upper level sciences, reinvent myself and prepare for the MCAT and prove I'm now longer the student I was way back when.
If you have time and desire for that than why not.

I think your grades and the retakes you already have are okay even if your GPAs are low. I suggest you study hard for the MCAT and try to get 497+, at least. If you do that, with your ECs and work experience, you will get in somewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Even for Kent State? I live in Cleveland and recently bought a house with my girlfriend and we've settled in pretty comfortably. Another pro is that the school is only a 20 - 25 minute drive for me. Would the above stats still be good for Kent State? Aside from the work experience, I've been in the military for 6+ years now and do volunteer for hospice when I can on the side, in addition to older volunteer stuff I did during my training. It's either push for podiatry or commission in the military and gun for a pilot slot with a reserve unit and making a career out of aviation with some prn job in the lab on the side.

Even for Kent State? I live in Cleveland and recently bought a house with my girlfriend and we've settled in pretty comfortably. Another pro is that the school is only a 20 - 25 minute drive for me. Would the above stats still be good for Kent State? Aside from the work experience, I've been in the military for 6+ years now and do volunteer for hospice when I can on the side, in addition to older volunteer stuff I did during my training. It's either push for podiatry or commission in the military and gun for a pilot slot with a reserve unit and making a career out of aviation with some prn job in the lab on the side.

You shouldn't have any trouble getting in. My suggestion is to not retake any classes unless it's required; just focus on doing well on the MCAT. Maybe even apply this cycle. Shadow a pod for 2 days, get a rec, write a personal statement, and apply before the end of the month, try and get a conditional acceptance (they set a minimum MCAT score for acceptance). Save yourself the gap year. If it doens't work-out, at least you'll be more prepared for next cycle since you'll have your recs, a personal statement, more schools to apply to, and more time to study MCAT if a retake is necessary.