WesternCPM Prereq online problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed8880

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm absolutely not a traditional applicant, get a BA in Pol Sci from a different country. Before taking prereq, I spoke with all schools, but it was back in 2021, and all of them told me that they accept online prereq, including labs, except NYCPM. So, I started to take my prereq on-campus in a university, but this university do not offer summer classes and I took BIO II and PHYS I&II online at another 4-y university, thinking it would be ok. My sGPA is 4.0 in both offline and online courses.

Now, when I am almost done, with one class left, I found out that WesternCPM (which is my top-choice, since I can rent room from my friend), said on their website NO online lab after Spring 2021.

My question is, my transcript nowhere said these classes are online, it it worth trying to apply? If they accept me, won't this be an issue if they find out that? If they ask me directly, I'll be honest and will say as it is.

Members don't see this ad.

So, if they accept me, I should not worry about any consequences? Is Western in reality good, since they take classes with DO?

So, if they accept me, I should not worry about any consequences? Is Western in reality good, since they take classes with DO?
Just from online sources I’ve seen the board pass rates for Western are not great. These can be found on the aacpm website I believe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I'm absolutely not a traditional applicant, get a BA in Pol Sci from a different country. Before taking prereq, I spoke with all schools, but it was back in 2021, and all of them told me that they accept online prereq, including labs, except NYCPM. So, I started to take my prereq on-campus in a university, but this university do not offer summer classes and I took BIO II and PHYS I&II online at another 4-y university, thinking it would be ok. My sGPA is 4.0 in both offline and online courses.

Now, when I am almost done, with one class left, I found out that WesternCPM (which is my top-choice, since I can rent room from my friend), said on their website NO online lab after Spring 2021.

My question is, my transcript nowhere said these classes are online, it it worth trying to apply? If they accept me, won't this be an issue if they find out that? If they ask me directly, I'll be honest and will say as it is.

Email the school and speak to them about it before submitting an app. You should not lie on your application. They might make an exception for you, but you should disclose the info before you apply; don't wait for them to ask you.

Reactions: 1 user
Email the school and speak to them about it before submitting an app. You should not lie on your application. They might make an exception for you, but you should disclose the info before you apply; don't wait for them to ask you.
I mean, I don’t plan to lie, but if they don’t ask it seems that I’m not lying anything? I really like this school and it seems they took people with much worse statistic than just 3 online classes. All my on campus science clearly said that I get this grades equally good in online or offline.

Last edited:
I mean, I don’t plan to lie, but if they don’t ask it seems that I’m not lying anything? I really like this school and it seems they took people with much worse statistic than just 3 online classes. All my on campus science clearly said that I get this grades equally good in online or offline.
What Dexter said.

Its not about the stats or what people they picked over you.

Its about making sure once they admit you, they don't boot you to the curb 3 years in on a technicality (i.e. online not acceptable.

What Dexter said.

Its not about the stats or what people they picked over you.

Its about making sure once they admit you, they don't boot you to the curb 3 years in on a technicality (i.e. online not acceptable.
This is what I was scare about. So, just to contact them and said like, when I have appointment in 2021 I was told it’s ok, so I took some?

I'd be surprised if they are nitpicky over a science lab that most students don't even remember taking.

Best to call to confirm and prevent the potential headache later on.

online-science-class.jpg

Last edited:
Just from online sources I’ve seen the board pass rates for Western are not great. These can be found on the aacpm website I believe
Cpme website has the board info, but aacpm has those incredible demographics data.

Western is sitting at 75% 1st time pass 3yr avg for part 1.

Surprisingly, it’s not the worst school in terms of board performance.

What is best school overall, everybody just tell me they all the same and choose the cheapest?

Reactions: 1 user
What is best school overall, everybody just tell me they all the same and choose the cheapest?
Affordability is good, but a lot of these schools also offer merit and many other types of scholarships. Helpful to do some research on their endowment and scholarship opportunities. For example if a school has the cheapest tuition but offers little scholarship, it may not be cheaper than other pod schools.

In my opinion look for a pod school with a good board passing rate, at the very minimum >80% pass rate. Anything lower than that is danger zone and should be avoided at all cost. First time board pass rate is crucial. Some of these schools have pass rate in the 60s and 70s and that’s alarming. Many of these students may not ever finish the program and be left with massive debt.

Fortunately, in the present if you’re able to pass boards and finish your program, the residency match rate for podiatry hovers 98-100%.

boards.PNG

Good luck!

Last edited:
So, Barry even better than many others? I read a lot of hate about it here on SDN?

So, Barry even better than many others? I read a lot of hate about it here on SDN?
It’s subjective and the chart above depicts the average consecutive 3 years, so it will vary in the long run… hopefully toward a positive trend. However, some of these figures are alarming. To be blunt there is a lot at stake when it comes to board examination.

Hi all,

I'm actually a second year student at WesternU's CPM program so I can give you some helpful insight. It's definitely still worth it to apply. If they bring it up in an interview, just be honest like you said and say it as it is. I'm sure there are other qualities in your application that would make you a great candidate at WesternU.

To follow up on your second question from Tuesday, we do have a shared curriculum with the DO students. The only difference is that they take courses about osteopathic manipulative medicine; whereas, we take courses abut Podiatric medical principles. Although it is challenging, residency programs are aware of the rigor of our program which would explain our 100% residency placement. What you put into the program, is what you're going to get out of it. And WesternU prepares us to be well-rounded Podiatric physicians so we can treat our patients to the best of our ability.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Although it is challenging, residency programs are aware of the rigor of our program which would explain our 100% residency placement.
Every school could have a 100% residency placement after scramble.

It wouldn't matter. Its not equivalent to an MD program saying 100% match- that means something.

Look at WHERE they are going for their programs.

I get it, you're just doing your job as the Western Student ambassador. Not trying to knock you. Touting a 100% residency match rate isn't very news worthy though.

You should be telling your admin to tout WHERE your class is going for residency. That reveals much more.

These figures don't tell the full story.

For instance:

1. People who withdrew or got dismissed.
2. People who failed boards and never qualified for the match.
3. People who don't graduate on time >4 years.

100% residency placement does not equate with 100% success.