Respected Desis!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neem Hakeem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Respected Desis,

First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude and thanks to all SDN members. Over the past year, your guys' posts and messages have truely been a source of inspiration and enlightenment for me.

However, now I find myself at a crucial junction of my life, and thus turn towards you guys for your expert advice and guidance. (By the way, I have tried to search for the answers to my questions on previous SDN posts, but was unsuccessful).

Actually, over the past year I've been debating whether I should stay here in the U.S. or go to India for medical school. However, now I've come to a decision of going to India for med. school, since I belive this is perhaps one of the few opportunities I'll have of going back to my beloved India and truly getting an "indian experience".

However, since I did almost all of my schooling here in the U.S., I'm completely unaware of the Indian Medical School system and curriculum, and turn towards you guys for some help and guidance. Among the many things which I'm confused about it, are:
- what exactly do they do in each of medical school?
- when and how are exams given?
- would I be at a disadvantage compared to the "indian students" since
they would've completed all the basic science classes in thier Inter.
colleges?
- I already took biology, calculus 1, and chem 1 last semester (I'm currently
a freshmen in college), and thus should I take Physics, Organic Chemistry,
and/or Physiology next semester to prepare myself for medical school in
India.
- and lastly, do any of you guys know anything about "Deccan College of
Medical Sciences", a private college in Hyderabad.

Respected Desis, sorry for this long and somewhat confusing message. Indeed, I'd truly appreciate and be extremely grateful to you guys for your help and guidance. Thank You very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Neem Hakeem said:
Respected Desis,

First of all, I'd like to express my gratitude and thanks to all SDN members. Over the past year, your guys' posts and messages have truely been a source of inspiration and enlightenment for me.

However, now I find myself at a crucial junction of my life, and thus turn towards you guys for your expert advice and guidance. (By the way, I have tried to search for the answers to my questions on previous SDN posts, but was unsuccessful).

Actually, over the past year I've been debating whether I should stay here in the U.S. or go to India for medical school. However, now I've come to a decision of going to India for med. school, since I belive this is perhaps one of the few opportunities I'll have of going back to my beloved India and truly getting an "indian experience".

However, since I did almost all of my schooling here in the U.S., I'm completely unaware of the Indian Medical School system and curriculum, and turn towards you guys for some help and guidance. Among the many things which I'm confused about it, are:
colleges?
India.

Respected Desis, sorry for this long and somewhat confusing message. Indeed, I'd truly appreciate and be extremely grateful to you guys for your help and guidance. Thank You very much in advance.

Neem-

Search for this old thread in the international forums for 'Go to india for medschool' - this is a very old thread which can provide some info. :)

Neem Hakeem said:

well think people go to medical college to study medicine, but people may have other plans too..

university exams or medical college entrance exams??

colleges?

hmmmm.... u might but it doesnt matter much

India.

No need to go for physiology but if u can manage... it would make life easier during first year

I dont have a personal experience of private medical school education in India, but from what i gather from my friends most of these private colleges are money making ventures of big politicians.... most of pvt med coll. lack good hospitals. Health care is provided free of cost in govt. hospitals so most of the patients go to govt. hospitals. Many a times these pvt med college hospital buy the patients just for practical exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why doesn't anyone who knows say it: Private Colleges in India, on the whole, SUCK!

there is absolutely NO quality control. the college authorities can pretty much do what they want. they may or may not have a decent attached hospital, and even if they do, there may or may not be enough patients coming in to make studying there an educational experience for all 150+ students in a batch. Indian Professors anyhow can do pretty much anything to you once they dislike your face, including fail you repeatedly.

I admire your thought of "going to see beloved India". it is a great country to visit, and live in. but, and I say this only with the best wishes, do not go there to study medicine if you intend to return to the US for further studies/ practice. go spend a year there, maybe even two, to "see the land"/ study the culture/ get wasted/ screw around..that would be a better use of your time than going to a no-hoper private med school. trust me.

uhoh! said:
Why doesn't anyone who knows say it: Private Colleges in India, on the whole, SUCK!

LET US SAY PVT.MED.SCHOOLS SUCK!! YEAH THEY SUCK BIG TIME!!! :p

get wasted/ screw around..that would be a better use of your time than going to a no-hoper private med school. trust me.

:laugh: thats the one thing NRI guys are exceptionally talented at!

$!n!$+er said:
LET US SAY PVT.MED.SCHOOLS SUCK!! YEAH THEY SUCK BIG TIME!!! :p

That is soooooooooo true !!!!!!!

im currently in an indian med school... pm me if u want more info

Neem Hakeem said:
Respected Desis,

colleges?
India.

Probably not a good idea unless you have no intention of practicing medicine in the U.S.

And why is medical school one of your "few opportunities" to go back to your "beloved India"?

Hi there,
U seem too excited abt training in a Private Medical College in India, maybe U have seen SRK going to a college as a student in Main Hoon Na and got all wrong impressions abt attending college in India.
Let me warn you, that U may find yourself in significant trouble if you opt for a non specific college like Deccan or whatever. As you know, Beloved India is famous for not maintaining same standards, (which seem to change every 50 miles), medical education being part of that. So theres no guarantee that U will defeintely learn "Human" medicine from a non listed pvt college, (I have heard in some colleges, dogs have been kept for 1st year anatomy students to replace Human bodies, as they could not find enough bodies :scared: Beware mate, U might want to become a doc, and might end up becoming a Vet :laugh:
No doubt U will get a truly Indian experience in different walks of life, BUT how far U will be able to Grasp this Indian "Experience" (?politics, ? Violence, ?Infections, ??Mosquitoes and malaria, ??Bugs and tummy upsets, ??Long queues for everything,?? , electricity 'power cuts', ??dust and allergies) is a thing which only time will tell :( :(
I dont mean to upset you, but want to warn you to come off your typical american style dreamy state and face the reality. U should be very careful about chosing the medical school.
And for other friends like you, please boyz n gals, India is NOT equivalent to Bollywood. Come out of ur dreams and get onto the life's highway :idea:
Neem Hakeem said:
Respected Desis,

colleges?
India.

Neem Hakeem said:
Respected Desis,

colleges?
India.

Stop saying "Repected desis" lol :rolleyes:

childrensdoc said:
Hi there,
U seem too excited abt training in a Private Medical College in India, maybe U have seen SRK going to a college as a student in Main Hoon Na and got all wrong impressions abt attending college in India.
Let me warn you, that U may find yourself in significant trouble if you opt for a non specific college like Deccan or whatever. As you know, Beloved India is famous for not maintaining same standards, (which seem to change every 50 miles), medical education being part of that. So theres no guarantee that U will defeintely learn "Human" medicine from a non listed pvt college, (I have heard in some colleges, dogs have been kept for 1st year anatomy students to replace Human bodies, as they could not find enough bodies :scared: Beware mate, U might want to become a doc, and might end up becoming a Vet :laugh:

Yea and i heard they used human bodies in vet school, cause they coudn't find any dogs. I have 2 cousions doing med in India. They love it, and think Med schools in India are some of the best. Yea u have to study hard and there's some unconviniences as compared to NA, but if u want to become a Doctor they shouldn't be much of a problem. On the other hand, if u can get in US or Canada, then going to India would be not so good, but not for the above reasons. It'll be harder to get back in US.

I know private schools are bad, most of them, but govt schools have some NRI seats aswell, that's if u reallyyyyyyyy want to go, cause its harder to get in

Come on... u believe the fact that they would use dogs in med school. The whole point of anatomy is to learn about human body, not dog body. If u want to come up with garbage, atleast make it a little bit more realistic

childrensdoc said:
No doubt U will get a truly Indian experience in different walks of life, BUT how far U will be able to Grasp this Indian "Experience" (?politics, ? Violence, ?Infections, ??Mosquitoes and malaria, ??Bugs and tummy upsets, ??Long queues for everything,?? , electricity 'power cuts', ??dust and allergies) is a thing which only time will tell :( :(
I dont mean to upset you, but want to warn you to come off your typical american style dreamy state and face the reality. U should be very careful about chosing the medical school.
And for other friends like you, please boyz n gals, India is NOT equivalent to Bollywood. Come out of ur dreams and get onto the life's highway :idea:

You honestly think, all of us living here in NA, don't know what India is like. Most of people have relatives in India or have visited India, and they know how it is? Well i can say the same thing for hollywood movies lol

So conclusion, if u want to become a Doctor and really want to do so, first work hard and try for a US school, unless u want to live in India for rest of ur life. If u don't get in US, then try Caribean, and then comes India (if u've never been there before, ur up for a rude awakening lol, overall preety good)

i'm sorry, but no one from the US goes to india for med school just b/c its their "beloved" india unless you want to live in india permanently after that. you can take a vacation or a year off if you truly miss india. why would you intentionally lower your chances of getting a decent residency in the US by going there (i know, its totally unfair, but it happens)? if you're going to india for med school, its b/c you didn't get in here. you all can "tsk tsk" me all you want, but its the truth.