Resources for step 1 studying if you have no foundation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what resources some of you would suggest for someone that has little to no foundation in terms of studying for step 1?

I've heard USMLE RX is good for gaining the critical high yield info from FA. I've tried reading FA sections and I'm just not getting any traction. Would USMLE RX help in getting a solid baseline in order to move up to Kaplan and Uworld qbanks?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how much time you have. If you have no foundation, I would start with Boards and Beyond while annotating First Aid. Also watch Pathoma and Sketchy for respective systems.

Then start tying things in with UWorld. I recommend UW twice than Rx+UW once each.

If you have zero foundation, its going to take a while.

Depends on how much time you have. If you have no foundation, I would start with Boards and Beyond while annotating First Aid. Also watch Pathoma and Sketchy for respective systems.

Then start tying things in with UWorld. I recommend UW twice than Rx+UW once each.

If you have zero foundation, its going to take a while.

I guess I wouldn't say zero foundation. I'm a dental student so I have a little base subject line. But trying to go through first aid is showing the holes in our education. I've heard Rx helps with getting the baseline from FA is that somewhat true? Would jumping straight into Uworld and learning straight from those explanations be a good idea?

I guess I wouldn't say zero foundation. I'm a dental student so I have a little base subject line. But trying to go through first aid is showing the holes in our education. I've heard Rx helps with getting the baseline from FA is that somewhat true? Would jumping straight into Uworld and learning straight from those explanations be a good idea?
Got it. Yeah as far as question banks go, use UWorld. The rest of your resources can be tailored to your weaknesses.

At the very least use Pathoma. It’s too good not to use — Sattar does a phenomenal job of explaning and highlighting high yield pathology. If you need to buff up your micro/pharm + are a visual learner, Sketchy is gold. If you need help on the phys or anything that’s not in these other resources, Boards and Beyond is great.

But no matter what, use First Aid as the scaffolding for your notes as you go through each resources.

Best to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it. Yeah as far as question banks go, use UWorld. The rest of your resources can be tailored to your weaknesses.

At the very least use Pathoma. It’s too good not to use — Sattar does a phenomenal job of explaning and highlighting high yield pathology. If you need to buff up your micro/pharm + are a visual learner, Sketchy is gold. If you need help on the phys or anything that’s not in these other resources, Boards and Beyond is great.

But no matter what, use First Aid as the scaffolding for your notes as you go through each resources.

Best to you!

Is boards and beyond something that can be done to gain a good foundation and then add on with all the other resources?

Edit: Also what do you mean by "use FA as the scaffolding for your notes"? And what does it mean to do a run through FA? Just read through FA really quickly to get an idea of whats in it or actually actively try to understand everything you read?

Thank you!

Last edited:
I'll go against the grain here and say that I highly recommend Rx if you have the time. I've never done a complete read through of First Aid, but I have most of it memorized anyways because of Rx. I think it's a great resource and, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think it's much better than Kaplan.

Reactions: 1 user
100% agreed -- less is more. Live by these words

I can see why you stick to the age old UFAP, but I'm just having difficulty using it because I lack the foundation. I try to go through FA and that was just awful. Unless you tell me pathoma helps prime you for FA I can't see how else I can lay down a good foundation with just UFAP. If you did PLEASE let me know how. I honestly welcome any and all ideas/criticisms.

Thanks!

I can see why you stick to the age old UFAP, but I'm just having difficulty using it because I lack the foundation. I try to go through FA and that was just awful. Unless you tell me pathoma helps prime you for FA I can't see how else I can lay down a good foundation with just UFAP. If you did PLEASE let me know how. I honestly welcome any and all ideas/criticisms.

Thanks!
Like I said above even if you have no foundation, it will just take you longer to get through UFAP, like maybe you will have to use Google a lot more and search for things you don't understand, or supplement with the relevant sections from those other resources I mentioned above if you really think you need it, but what I'm saying is all the content you need to know to excel on step 1 is in UFAP.

Actually I doubt most people even high test scorers know all the content in UFAP. I think that's just impossible to know everything. But if you understand how everything works (not just memorize but actually understand), then that is what's most important. Pathoma is great because Sattar explains and helps you understand things.

Different people have different approaches, and you have to use what works best for you (after some trial and error), but maybe one way to do it is to watch Pathoma on a subject, then read FA on the same subject, then do UWorld questions on that same subject. That's one approach but again just do what works best for you. All this is just my opinion.

Like I said above even if you have no foundation, it will just take you longer to get through UFAP, like maybe you will have to use Google a lot more and search for things you don't understand, or supplement with the relevant sections from those other resources I mentioned above if you really think you need it, but what I'm saying is all the content you need to know to excel on step 1 is in UFAP.

Actually I doubt most people even high test scorers know all the content in UFAP. I think that's just impossible to know everything. But if you understand how everything works (not just memorize but actually understand), then that is what's most important. Pathoma is great because Sattar explains and helps you understand things.

Different people have different approaches, and you have to use what works best for you (after some trial and error), but maybe one way to do it is to watch Pathoma on a subject, then read FA on the same subject, then do UWorld questions on that same subject. That's one approach but again just do what works best for you. All this is just my opinion.
I agree and disagree. I think it's oversimplifying it to tell someone with little to no foundation that everything you need to know is in UFAP. Yes, it's true. But practically, it's more important to build a sort of scaffold of knowledge to stack the details and interconnections of UFAP onto. Eg. watching Pathoma, reading FA, then doing UW is a great way to get down the path. But Sattar doesn't go over a lot of the embryo, anatomy, phys, and pharm. You need other resources to tie these things together if you have no foundation -- using FA with UW is an option, but as you said, it would take a LONG time.

This is why I recommended something comprehensive like Boards and Beyond. He highlights high yield info on pretty much everything you need that Sattar doesn't cover. His explanation of renal and cardio phys helped me a ton. (I'm in no way financially compensated to promote this product haha)

OP, definitely find what works for you. It will require some trial and error. And I support the notion that less is more, I fell into the trap of having too many resources.

Source: I went through my first 2 years pretty much middle-of-the-road in my class. I went into board studying with a relatively weak foundation and I found using UW as a learning resource incredibly demoralizing. Yes, it's the gold standard. Yes, it should be used to LEARN, not so much to TEST. But let's be real, who likes getting <50% correct consistently? I was pretty familiar with Pathoma, but using UW + FA was frustrating because of my weak foundation. I went into my Step 1 studying with a baseline of 190s and jumped 40+ points after I took the time to lay the groundwork. Boards and Beyond was huge in helping me accomplish this.

Last edited:
I'll go against the grain here and say that I highly recommend Rx if you have the time. I've never done a complete read through of First Aid, but I have most of it memorized anyways because of Rx. I think it's a great resource and, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think it's much better than Kaplan.

When you’re reviewing your Rx q’s do you find it helpful to read the explanation and the associated first aid pages for each question? I’m doing this currently throughout the semester and I’m finding it takes me forevvver to do questions because of it

When you’re reviewing your Rx q’s do you find it helpful to read the explanation and the associated first aid pages for each question? I’m doing this currently throughout the semester and I’m finding it takes me forevvver to do questions because of it

I did Rx during the semester also, and read every single explanation and every single accompanying first aid page, no matter how many times I had read it before. It was very time consuming, I did 30 questions/day and it usually took me 3-4 hours. But it was absolutely 100% worth it. I scored a 248 on my CBSE from nothing but Rx, hadn't even looked at Uworld yet.

I did Rx during the semester also, and read every single explanation and every single accompanying first aid page, no matter how many times I had read it before. It was very time consuming, I did 30 questions/day and it usually took me 3-4 hours. But it was absolutely 100% worth it. I scored a 248 on my CBSE from nothing but Rx, hadn't even looked at Uworld yet.
Sweet!! Thank you, I will definitely continue taking forever reviewing questions then as it seems like it paid off for ya haha

First read of FA with usmle rx; what do you think?

I was wondering what resources some of you would suggest for someone that has little to no foundation in terms of studying for step 1?

I've heard USMLE RX is good for gaining the critical high yield info from FA. I've tried reading FA sections and I'm just not getting any traction. Would USMLE RX help in getting a solid baseline in order to move up to Kaplan and Uworld qbanks?

Thank you!

First, you're not alone in thinking that a page-by-page pass of FA isn't for everyone. I did exactly what you're mentioning, using Rx as a tool to learn FA rather than a way to confirm what I learned by reading through FA.

I think something worth acknowledging here is the fact that whatever resources you use, deep learning comes from synthesizing information in at least two different ways. When the medical school classes of antiquity were discipline-based, a systems-oriented approach to board review was helpful and probably served to usher in the systems-based curriculum. Now that we have systems-based curriculum, discipline-centric review resources like Pathoma and SketchyMicro are unsurprisingly popular. Whichever way you learned it the first time, I'd review it the other way this time around.

The next thing is that only some subjects warrant a "foundational" knowledge base. The old adage "you have to know the phys to know the path" is absolutely true, and especially high-yield for all of the systems affected by the abuses people subject their bodies to all the time (heart/lungs/liver/kidneys). Other subjects, like micro, you're better off to just use a great review tool like Sketchy. SketchyMicro does a great job of teaching you things you may have never been exposed to before. The rest you will learn through trial and error in question banks. A supplementary text for Micro that is great if you keep missing questions is Clincal Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple. I would wager that some of the original sketches, and maybe even the idea for SketchyMicro as a whole, came from this book.

If you have the time to put into it, there may be no better resource for Phys than Najeeb Lectures. There's about 750 videos, all an hour a piece. It is by no means comprehensive for all subjects covered on USMLE, but the things you learn from Najeeb's videos you cannot forget. He is very adamant about repeating what has been taught and where the discussion is going, and continues to do this repeatedly through each video so you always stay on top of the big picture. This is partly why the videos are so long, but they proceed at such a leisurely pace that it's very easy to sit down and watch his content for 5-6 hours at a time. I can't stress enough, however, that if you are in a traditional 2 month study period as most MS2 students are, this is definitely not the resource to use.

For pathology, if you want a text that does a great job of incorporating basic and systemic pathology, Rubin's is where it is at. Baby Robbins is not thorough enough, and I simply do not understand why medical students would want to use big Robbins. It's full of 6000 variant mutations for every disease along with epidemiology and prognostic remarks for every disease, which is just not appropriate for a Step 1 resource imho. Nevertheless, there will always be those kids who want to do ortho and think that carrying that infernal 45-lb tome to the bathroom with them is the key to unlocking all life has to offer.

Boards and Beyond is a great resource, but it's a lot of information jammed into 100 hours of video. Dr. Ryan's videos are made of short clips spliced together, and he talks quite fast even at 1x, so if you get into material you don't know, you'll find yourself wanting to pause frequently. If you're willing to take the time to watch the videos and take notes, however, I think there's a lot to be learned and in most systems he does a good job of expounding the salient points and not just regurgitating what's on the power point slides. He also underlines as he goes, which is similar to Pathoma, and helps keep your eyes and brain trained on what's important at the moment. BnB is also notable for being one of the few resources which has content review for laboratory science and behavioral science topics like Biostats/Epidemiology, Patient Quality/Safety, and Ethics. Finally, if you really struggle with Cardio/Renal, there may be no better resource than BnB (Dr. Ryan is a cardiologist). His biochem is also excellent.

Also, don't discount resources like UpToDate if you have access to them, or Merck Manual Professional if you don't. Obviously, don't use these resources as a primary way to learn, but often times if I just can't iron a concept out or keep getting a pair of them confused, overlearning them by going to a much more in-depth resource helps to ferret out their differences in a way that sticks. Also, every time you use a different resource, you expand the memory palace. You'll tend to remember the things you went out of your way to do Google Searches on or read about on UpToDate. Read about a lysosomal storage disease and then go watch a sad video on Youtube about a cute kid who died from it. If you invoke your emotions into the learning, it will help build foundational knowledge in a way that no ready-made resource can easily deliver.

I may not have even really answered your question, but I guess I just feel that in order to build a strong foundation of knowledge, you have to use the review resources to identify what you don't know and then go hunt to find the answer yourself to make it stick. Yes, the tables that delineate what happens with platelet count, PT, PTT, and Fibrinogen are nice for clarifying wrinkles in your understanding if you keep confusing the coagulopathies, but it will stick a lot better if you recognize which parameters the table is bringing attention to and then go fill in the blanks yourself.

TL;DR - Najeeb Lectures is $69 for lifetime access and is a great partial curriculum substitute for phys and some path/pharm but takes a lot of time. BnB is a great alternative resource for covering the first half of FA's content (as well as the second half) but may be too in depth if you're just trying to get the mean score and don't care about the 90th percentile and above. SketchyMicro is great, but Sketchy Path is taking it too far imo. Question banks are best at ferreting out what you don't know, which becomes more and more valuable the stronger your foundation gets, so save them (mostly) for later.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree and disagree. I think it's oversimplifying it to tell someone with little to no foundation that everything you need to know is in UFAP. Yes, it's true. But practically, it's more important to build a sort of scaffold of knowledge to stack the details and interconnections of UFAP onto. Eg. watching Pathoma, reading FA, then doing UW is a great way to get down the path. But Sattar doesn't go over a lot of the embryo, anatomy, phys, and pharm. You need other resources to tie these things together if you have no foundation -- using FA with UW is an option, but as you said, it would take a LONG time.

This is why I recommended something comprehensive like Boards and Beyond. He highlights high yield info on pretty much everything you need that Sattar doesn't cover. His explanation of renal and cardio phys helped me a ton. (I'm in no way financially compensated to promote this product haha)

OP, definitely find what works for you. It will require some trial and error. And I support the notion that less is more, I fell into the trap of having too many resources.

Source: I went through my first 2 years pretty much middle-of-the-road in my class. I went into board studying with a relatively weak foundation and I found using UW as a learning resource incredibly demoralizing. Yes, it's the gold standard. Yes, it should be used to LEARN, not so much to TEST. But let's be real, who likes getting <50% correct consistently? I was pretty familiar with Pathoma, but using UW + FA was frustrating because of my weak foundation. I went into my Step 1 studying with a baseline of 190s and jumped 40+ points after I took the time to lay the groundwork. Boards and Beyond was huge in helping me accomplish this.

How much time did it take you to bring up your score?

How much time did it take you to bring up your score?
It was 2 months between the first NBME amd the real deal. No real dedicated period. The last 2 months of classes were lighter, but still took time away from board prep.