Too many resources for step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hippocratesintraining

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's been asked a million times but I'll go ahead and give the 1,000,001 thread post here,

Step 1 prep idea in order of importance:
Uworld
Pathoma
B & B
Sketchy Pharm
Sketchy Micro
Anking (for these specific resources)

That being said, I just don't see enough time in the day to effectively do all the anking cards even though i've heard its a must. Any thoughts on this list? Any thoughts on anking and not being able to finish cards? I'm under the impression that uworld is non negotiable in terms of getting at least 1 pass through all the questions and pathoma is not far behind uworld. Everything else has mixed opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that's too many resources necessarily, but it depends on how you're intending to use them. If you're trying to 100% both B&B and Pathoma then yeah it may be too much. However, if you're using them more selectively based on identified knowledge gaps or whatever you're already studying in classes it should be manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put sketchy (at least micro) above B&B. The memory palace thing really works, and you'll be drawing upon sketchy stuff not only for Step 1 but also M3 too. If sketchy pharm is too much, I'd prioritize the cardiac/renal videos.

Honestly, people love B&B for dumbing things down, but it dumbs things down too much (level of complexity offered by most BNB lessons is not reliable enough to get questions right on corresponding topics imo).

Finishing Anking is waaaay overkill. ROI on that is not only low for M3, but it's absolutely not needed for passing Step 1, unless anki is really your thing and is the best learning tool for yourself. I found it to be a great thing to do on the side (e.g. flipping through a few cards on my phone at random off times when you don't have access to other study materials).

Reactions: 1 user
I'm the biggest anki fanboy ever (got a 100th percentile MCAT with it) and even I'm not doing all of AnKing for step 1. I'm doing pathoma, sketchy, and then the topics my med school covered. Whis is probably only 70% of the deck.

UWorld and pathoma is the only thing you really have to do. And probably sketchy.

But maybe I'll fail and come back and edit this message haha