Residency Start 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NepsPod21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hope everyone's staying safe.
I'll be starting my residency July 1st, and I'm in a little bit of a panic about COVID-19. I keep hearing stories about healthcare workers getting infected and about people not having PPE (or reusing potentially contaminated PPE).
I've been trying to procure some N95 masks, in case my hospital is still under-stocked come July, but they are now literally impossible to buy. Before everyone chastises me for trying to buy N95s, please know I'm high risk due to a couple congenital CV diseases.
I want to help, and I want to train. I just don't want to die.
Any input would be appreciated.
Also, how are we all supposed to meet our numbers if all elective surgeries are cancelled?

Members don't see this ad.

I just a student, but I would keep in touch with the program and let the PD know about your condition (if they don't know already). If you do start on time, then I am sure the program will provide whatever you need for yours and others safety.
As far as the number of cases goes, this is an issue for everyone starting residency this year, so in that sense, you are not alone, i.e. something will be done.

For the time being, I would try to stay safe and prepare for residency (easier said than done, though).

Also do check the CPME site, under 'news': Council on Podiatric Medical Education | CPME

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You will be an intern. More than likely you will start on the off-service rotations like medicine, ED, anesthesia etc. There will likely be other residents from other programs with you so they will have to protect all of you guys. We are probably off the peak by then, so I don't think PPE will be an issue. In fact the majority of the county are doing okay for now, except for the virus hot spots.

Most programs typically just let first years to do infection cases to start with. If the lock-down is still in effect (highly unlikely), then it's the infection/trauma cases that are going to come in anyway.

But always protect yourself. I keep a hand sanitizer in my pocket all the time.

Reactions: 1 user